Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-06-2019, 03:52 AM   #1

LT tires vs. trailer tires

I am new to the forum and this may have been discussed before but I am interested in the pros and cons of LT tires vs. trailer tires for my TT. I have a 2008 BHS. Haven’t had any issues but have been taking much longer trips over the last couple years. I currently am running 15 inch D rated tires and run them at 55 pounds (get up to 60 when running.) I do have a TPMS and am happy with everything, but always looking to make things better if it makes sense.

Any input is appreciated
Godt's on the go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:27 AM   #2
Site Team

My current Jayco came from the factory with LT tires that were included with the Baja package. In the past, especially when the choices for quality trailer tires were slim, many would convert to LT tires for reliability. A popular choice for example was 16" Michelin XPS Ribs.

There are now some much better trailer tire choices on the market than there used to be. Goodyear Endurance for example are receiving good reviews. I can't speak to them personally, but I've heard some good comments.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 08:49 AM   #3

Trailer tires have heavier sidewalls than LT "light truck" tires and are designed for trailer use. LT tires can be used on steering axels and are not designed the same.

The problem has been that so many ST tires were cheap Chinese tires that are rate for 65 MPH and not made well. Speed, loss of pressure and age kills trailer tires.

That's why I upgraded to Goodyear Endurance with an 83 MPH rating and the next higher load rating than the stock Raineer tires.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #4

ST tires say "Not for use on a vehicle with passengers on board". (or something like that). If that isn't enough to make you think, then you should think more.

LT tires are also for use on a rear axle, where no steering is involved.

ST tires are unsafe after 3-4 years. LT tires go a lot longer.

So, what's not to understand.

If the weight capacity of any tire meets your requirement, that's all you need to be concerned with. (of course tire pressure, rotating, balancing etc. notwithstanding)
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:51 AM   #5

It’s been a while since I researched so I can’t cite my sources, but here goes....LTs with appropriate load range will work. Quality LTs typically cost more than quality trailer tires, yet all tires “age out” at the same time (5-6) years. Tires on a vehicle wear out before they age out and tires on your RV won’t so spending the extra money for a tire you won’t use all the tread life on is not cost effective for most situations.

Ps. Air your load D tire to 60 cold, not 60 hot. You’re under inflated right now.
ShawnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 06:54 AM   #6
Site Team

I have replaced ST's with LT's on other trailers and had good results. If I had a D rated tire requirement today, I would give the new Goodyear Endurance tires a try.

Currently I had E rated so I replaced with G rated.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 10:57 PM   #7

I change my tires out every 7 years whether they need it or not. I am currently running a set a of Maxxis ST tires in Load Range E. Overkill for my application and I run them at max sidewall pressure of 80 PSI. I also tow at 65mph and have the tires balanced. These tires have performed flawlessly. I check tire and hub temperature at each rest stop and nothing has ever exceeded 135 degrees F.