Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-13-2017, 08:53 AM   #1

Major slide out problems.

Good morning everyone. I recently took delivery of a brand new jayco 29rlds. Wife and I love the floor plan, but quite honestly, we are very disappointed with our experience so far. We have owned rv's in the past and knew going into ownership again, that we would have problems. We used the trailer 5 times and 2 times it went right back to the dealer with slide out issues. On the maiden trip the setup went fine. When we got ready to leave, the slide outs would not retract. Called a mobile repair tech who checked electrical box and found all good there. He removed the in and out switch to one of the slide outs and miraculously, both slides then retracted. His opinion was that there was a wiring issue somewhere because all he did was jiggle the wires and both slides then retracted. Brought the unit back to dealer, explained what happened. The slides continued to work fine at the dealer, so obviously the problem was not found or fixed. The last time we camped I attempted to extend the slides and they would only go out about 2 inches,then stop. I would wait about 30 seconds and press button and again they only went out 2 inches at a time. This went on until they were fully extended. The retracting process went the same way. Took trailer back to dealer and they found
" wires that weren't connected right in the switches" They did notice that my battery was bone dry of water which I was surprised to learn as I removed the battery after each trip and kept it on a trickle charge while checking fluid level. The battery has been replaced and we are heading out locally this weekend. Any ideas what would cause such a sudden loss of water in battery and could it be related to my slide issues. I'm thinking maybe a converter issue? Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully the dealer is correct about the wiring but something tells me that's not the problem. We'll see
usmc1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 08:57 AM   #2

Sorry to hear about the slideout, keep us posted if you find out what happened.
2015 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Cab, Traded in
Bluegill1
bluegill1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc1976 View Post
Good morning everyone. I recently took delivery of a brand new jayco 29rlds. Wife and I love the floor plan, but quite honestly, we are very disappointed with our experience so far. We have owned rv's in the past and knew going into ownership again, that we would have problems. We used the trailer 5 times and 2 times it went right back to the dealer with slide out issues. On the maiden trip the setup went fine. When we got ready to leave, the slide outs would not retract. Called a mobile repair tech who checked electrical box and found all good there. He removed the in and out switch to one of the slide outs and miraculously, both slides then retracted. His opinion was that there was a wiring issue somewhere because all he did was jiggle the wires and both slides then retracted. Brought the unit back to dealer, explained what happened. The slides continued to work fine at the dealer, so obviously the problem was not found or fixed. The last time we camped I attempted to extend the slides and they would only go out about 2 inches,then stop. I would wait about 30 seconds and press button and again they only went out 2 inches at a time. This went on until they were fully extended. The retracting process went the same way. Took trailer back to dealer and they found
" wires that weren't connected right in the switches" They did notice that my battery was bone dry of water which I was surprised to learn as I removed the battery after each trip and kept it on a trickle charge while checking fluid level. The battery has been replaced and we are heading out locally this weekend. Any ideas what would cause such a sudden loss of water in battery and could it be related to my slide issues. I'm thinking maybe a converter issue? Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully the dealer is correct about the wiring but something tells me that's not the problem. We'll see
I would check the trickle charger if it is one that changes from full charge to FLO mode to be sure it is switching over and not overcharging the battery and boiling off the fluid.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #4

My 16 Eagle started doing same thing not the Schwinn tec slide.Would retract about 6' then stop. Push retract again move all the way in. We have solar batteries always full charge. Let us know what you find out!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #5

On my 33RLDS which is similar to your 29RLDS, the kitchen slide is huge. Mine has never not worked but If I am staying at a site without electric, I always open and close the slides while connected to the TV with it running. Its very easy for the voltage to drop while the little motor is struggling. It crawls and sometimes temporarily stops as the circuit breaker trips. Were you connected to shore power or TV while working the slides?
2016 CTS 4 2.0T
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:09 AM   #6

From your description, it seems likely the problems are with the 12v side with the battery and/or the converter/charger.

Does your trailer have a 12v outlet (looks like the old cigarette lighter socket)? Plugging in an inexpensive voltmeter there will tell let you know the voltage from your charger (when on shore power), the voltage from your tow vehicle when towing, and your battery voltage when not plugged into either one. That should help trouble shoot most 12v issues.

Here's one example:
https://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Cigare.../dp/B0092KVYGI
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:35 AM   #7

Thanks but there is no 12v outlet
Old 10-14-2017, 05:37 AM   #8

I was connected to shore power. Thanks
Old 10-14-2017, 05:40 AM   #9
Site Team

Hmmm... Most rv's have a cig lighter outlet on the television amp panel.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 06:18 AM   #10

Thanks Norty. I should have replied that I was not aware of a 12v outlet. I never noticed one but I will certainly check on that. Thanks for your reply
Old 10-14-2017, 09:03 AM   #11

I have a 12v cigarette plug behind my tv in my 18 284BHSW. I'd bet it's there somewhere.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
That1028Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:52 AM   #12

I bought some panels that have a 12v meter, USB & lighter ports. Have two of these installed. I also have a custom solar panel & current usage setup that I can check battery status. You can buy a digital volt meter for a few $'s and have a quick way to check the 12v level.

Doesn't address the slideout issue but I would say if it works at all then it's not the switches although it may be an intermittent connection in the wiring.
PlayersZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #13
Site Team

At one time there were 12v tv's. Kinda like the buggy whip now days but they still put it there.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #14

Thanks for this info. I have a 23MRB. Factory told me there was one right when you walk in the door above the CO detector. Someone put in a 120 v. instead. I will look at the TV area but never saw one.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote