Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Microwave and AC not working on shore power

I plugged my 24mbh into the garage outlet using the dogbone. The battery was dead. We turned on the AC in the unit. After 5 minutes there was a beep and the ac went off. So we turned off the the AC and left the cord to charge the battery over night after making sure the cords and adapter were not hot.

The next day we tried to use the electric jack and it wouldn't work unless plugged into shore power or the truck. Making me think the battery did not charge over night. When plugged into the 15amp outlet the microwave and AC will no longer turn on. I checked the breakers in the house and RV and all are on. I flipped all of them off and back on again in the RV to no avail. I also checked the GFI outlet and it is not tripped.

Did running the AC on 15 amps damage the system?
__________________

korkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:06 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 117
Check your fuses for microwave, a/c and electric jack...either that or your battery is toast


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________

Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Iraqvet05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,114
On the 12V side, I also suspect your battery is dead if the jack works only when the truck or the converter is supplying the power. If you don't have access to a multimeter, pull the battery and have it tested at an auto supply store.

As for the A/C and microwave, my next set would be pulling the cover off the distribution panel and seeing if there is voltage in and out of the breakers but you should be fairly familiar with a multimeter before doing so.
__________________
2013 26BH w/ 4 plain rims and some rust
2001 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 gasser
Black Bear programmed ECM
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 03:31 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
oldmanAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: AZ
Posts: 7,020
Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like you have some trouble shooting to do.

Have you plugged a light into the house outlet to test if you have power there? If so, then plug in the light at the end of the extension cord between the house the the trailer to see if it is OK. If the cord is OK, then try the microwave (I believe the microwave plugs into an outlet in a cupboard) find that and plug the microwave directly into the extension cord from the house then try the microwave.

Also, you said the electric jack and it wouldn't work unless plugged into shore power or the truck - that sounds like a dead battery. If you had no power to the trailer overnight, then the battery could be dead. Can you check the battery voltage?
__________________
Sherm & Terry w/rescues Eydie (min Schnauzer) Steve RIP (std Poodle)
2015 Jay Flight 27RLS (Camped: 102 nights '15, 90 nights '16, 70 nights '17 so far)
2006 Ford F350 6.0 PSD, Lariat, 4WD, CC, LB, SRW, auto., Camper pkg.
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 7
Thanks everyone. After taking your advice, it turns out that the extension cord I was using died. The old lamp test worked like a charm. New extension cord was added and the battery seems to be charging. Checked the tongue jack without shore power and worked after 20 minutes being plugged in. AC and microwave also worked.

Thanks for the help
korkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:20 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Crofton, MD
Posts: 283
You probably cooked the extension cord running the A/C... I didn't think the A/C would even work on 15 amp...
__________________

2015 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
2010 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71
Reese Dual Cam HP
Tekonsha P3 controller
Gone campin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Thunder Bay
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone campin View Post
You probably cooked the extension cord running the A/C... I didn't think the A/C would even work on 15 amp...


You shouldn't run the a/c if only plugged into 15 amp it will cook the cord


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Coldfusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 08:52 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
wags999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Surprise
Posts: 1,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
You shouldn't run the a/c if only plugged into 15 amp it will cook the cord


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the cord would be "cooked" only if the cord was undersized for the power being pulled. Use a proper size cord, and, I would l plug into a 20 amp plug, or, have the breaker changed to 20 amp. You can, when doing rewiring, use a 20 amp breaker on 14 wire. 15 amps would cause issues when the AC is cycling on and off, and you could not use the MW and the AC at the same time.

Good Luck. be happy it was only the cord that died, it could of been much much worse. If the cord got hot enough to cause it to fail, it could of easily started a fire.
__________________
2011 Toyota Tundra double cab
2015 27RLS
wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:31 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
dalebra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Waconia, MN
Posts: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by wags999 View Post
the cord would be "cooked" only if the cord was undersized for the power being pulled. Use a proper size cord, and, I would l plug into a 20 amp plug, or, have the breaker changed to 20 amp. You can, when doing rewiring, use a 20 amp breaker on 14 wire. 15 amps would cause issues when the AC is cycling on and off, and you could not use the MW and the AC at the same time.

Good Luck. be happy it was only the cord that died, it could of been much much worse. If the cord got hot enough to cause it to fail, it could of easily started a fire.
IMHO you should never replace a 15 amp breaker with a 20 amp breaker without upgrading the wiring to 12 Awg.

20 Amp breaker and 14 Awg size wire is a violation of the NEC. (National Electrical Code)

If you simply replace the breaker, the wire can overheat and ignite the building from inside the walls.
__________________
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD CC Duramax
2016 Eagle 323LKTS Java
Pull Rite SuperGlide #4100 Hitch w/Mor-Ryde Pin Box
dalebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 09:46 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Edd505's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Elephant Butte, NM
Posts: 1,190
My first thought, 15amp circuit and too much draw. Having a 30 amp installed for the trailer is pretty cheap. I think mine was $125 done by a local electrician. I asked when you get some time could you .... no rush and he used mine as fill on a slow day.
Glad it was a simple fix.
__________________

__________________
2017 Durango G353KRT 2006 F350SD 6.0 LB Crew
2000 F250SD SRW 7.3 LB Extended Cab Air Bags
2014 Eagle 30.5BHLT (sold)
2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.