Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

Minimum Tow vehicle for 2016 RL 20

I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 4.7 V8. The tow specs indicate 5000 GVW and my trailer is 3500 lbs. I think this could do it, but not really comfortable with it. Any input is appreciated.
dlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 06:47 AM   #2

I will respond to this question knowing you posted about a cross country trip towing next year. I think an upgrade to a newer 1/2 ton truck would be wise. Your GC is 17 years old now and while the 4.7 in them made them quite fast and drive well, I doubt a long trip would be comfortable. I back that up with I have only ever driven that vintage GC with the 4.7 for 1 trip for work so I have no towing experience with one.

That said, I pulled my 28BHBE (8500 # loaded) with a 2013 Tundra and while it pulled great and handled the trailer awesome with my ProPride hitch, I knew any trip over 3-4 hours was getting to the point of being too much work driving! I was always watching for the next hill and anticipating getting a little more speed so I didn't have to hammer the throttle to climb at speed. I was also watching the stops making sure I had plenty of room. This year I switched to a Ram 2500 Cummins and the pull is 100% different. I just set the cruise and motor along. Don't worry about hills or stopping with the engine braking and transmission downshifting. Made a 7 hour pull from my home in central NY to south of Dover, DE and made the trip in only 1/2 hour longer than we have done when not towing. The upgrade in TV's was worth every penny! (and it is a LOT of them!)

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:09 AM   #3
Site Team

Progression of an average RV owner

1st. Buy your first RV that "works" with your current tow vehicle.

2nd. Upgrade your tow vehicle to make towing that trailer more comfortable.

3rd. Buy a new huge trailer since your tow vehicle can now handle it.

4th. End up keeping your new big trailer in a seasonal site since it is no longer practical to tow anywhere easily.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbarr View Post
I have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with 4.7 V8. The tow specs indicate 5000 GVW and my trailer is 3500 lbs. I think this could do it, but not really comfortable with it. Any input is appreciated.
I agree with Astro. I would not be taking a x-country trip with that Grand Cherokee as my TV. Your TT is a real nice match for a 1/2 ton. We have traveled coast to coast numerous times by car and twice towing a trailer. It is important to have plenty of TV (safety, vehicle performance, vehicle wear and tear, and driver stress and occupant comfort).
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
Progression of an average RV owner

1st. Buy your first RV that "works" with your current tow vehicle.

2nd. Upgrade your tow vehicle to make towing that trailer more comfortable.

3rd. Buy a new huge trailer since your tow vehicle can now handle it.

4th. End up keeping your new big trailer in a seasonal site since it is no longer practical to tow anywhere easily.
That made me laugh. Yep..I don't wanna end up like that. Point made.
dlbarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:18 PM   #6

If you check your cargo capacity you may find your over that number.. Cargo is the total of anything in your vehicle including you and "stuff" PLUS the weight of the hitch and hitch weight of your trailer. Normally this is hit long before towing capacity is ever reached...You can drag down the road much more than you can carry down the road and your carring 12% to 15% of your trailer plus the other stuff. On your drivers door column you should see a sticker, yellow normally, of the maximun cargo capacity of your vehicle as built. Subtract everything you have added plus people and cargo and what's left is you potential trailer tongue weight.. You can go to a scale to get exact weights.

Good Luck...

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote