Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-28-2015, 11:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
That long roof vent is for the refrigerator, you should have an outside access panel down low below it. Double check the very top of the vent. There are four screws as I recall, in a series of indented slots running the length of the TT, as I recall, the slots fill up with crude and such and the screws were not very noticeable. When I removed mine, for inspection a few years ago, I found I had ˝” hardware cloth at the roof level to keep debris and animals out. A ˝” hole would allow a mouse to get in. You can open the lower access panel, with a good flashlight and a camera, take a few pictures upwards and see if the nest is gone, and have gotten inside the refrigerator access cabinet. You will never get your head in there to look up.

As I was looking at the picture, I was wondering how the mice are getting up onto the roof? I would figure out how to stop them from getting up there. Next if they are climbing up the side of the TT, I would install a vent cover over your furnace port. I have a friend with a seasonal site. Their neighbor had a large bill last spring as a mice climbed in the exhaust port, made a nest in the fan, and chewed up wires in the furnace.
The vent is directly above the cabinet that the AC is in. Looking through a crack next to the AC I can see the light coming from the hole in the roof. The fridge is in a different location and it has 2 side vents, nothing above it on the roof.

There is no crud in the screw holes. Its obvious Jayco didn't want the vent cover to be removable since its all sealed in.

I guess I'll just have to pull out the air conditioner and check for a screen. I'll put one on the inside if need be.

The fridge and furnace vents have al been custom fitted with window screen, so no problem there.

How they get on the roof is a mystery to us as well. The sides seem so slippery. My wife says the critters must have suction cups on their feet.

I'll also get some peppermint oil and put it around the tires.

gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #12

The past couple years I've been using something I get at the local farm store called "Rodent Stopper". Comes in a 1 quart hand spray bottle. It has mint oil, as well as other oils in it. Seems to work for me. I spray the tires, jack post and along the inside perimeter of the trailer edges.

One thing about any kind of spray, mint oil, dryer sheets, etc., they will not work to drive mice out. They do seem to work to keep mice from entering. I think it has as much to do with masking any food odors lingering in the camper as mice just not liking the smell.

moallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #13

[QUOTE=gypsmjim;351574]The vent is directly above the cabinet that the AC is in. Looking through a crack next to the AC I can see the light coming from the hole in the roof. The fridge is in a different location and it has 2 side vents, nothing above it on the roof.

The fridge and furnace vents have al been custom fitted with window screen, so no problem there. QUOTE]

I thought it looked odd that the AC was right below the that frig vent, then decided that maybe it was the angle the photo was taken from. I suspect when the unit was built someone made a mistake and cut the hole and installed the vent, without paying attention. Because that roof vent is for the larger refrigerators, like my 8 cu frig. Personally, I would look at a few more TT's of your model and see if they all have that vent. Its just a spot for water, snow and possibly critters to get in.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:34 AM   #14

I just looked at a couple photos of 2015 model. They have that same vent over the AC. I wonder if it was added due to a heat buildup issue??
Old 10-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I just looked at a couple photos of 2015 model. They have that same vent over the AC. I wonder if it was added due to a heat buildup issue??
That could be. In any event what I need to know is if that vent has screens in it and if they openings are large enough for a mouse.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:19 PM   #16

For hard to reach places a phone video function is a great tool to reach in and look at what is going on.

2014 375 BHFS Eagle Premier
2014 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW CC
6.7 CTD, Aisin, 4.10's
Yamaha EF3000iSEB
3'senough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:20 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
The trailer is in the middle of a 1/2 acre lawn, surrounded by hundreds of acres of woods. There must be a gazzilion mice around us.
We have a creek surrounded by heavy brush and trees right behind our backyard. It's 60 feet from our trailer and the back of our house. We have a shed close to the edge of the property and the mice get in there all the time, in the lawn and snow removal equipment. Never in the trailers, not for the over 20 years we've been parking trailers here.

That said maybe try building a small wooden box with a couple of small openings and place it near the woods that are closest to your trailer. Even put some food in it. Give the mice a more attractive place to go than your trailer.
Old 10-29-2015, 08:30 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBraddy View Post
Peppermint oil must be 100% strength to work is what I found out... I ordered mine from AMAZON but I think WEGMANSs carry the 100% pure stuff... Hard to find anywhere else in the big stores...

Roy Ken
2x
We have used the peppermint oil and dryer sheets with great success.
Don
2 - AirSight Wireless IP Cameras (used as rear view cameras)
EnGenius WI-FI extender, D-Link wireless (n) modem
MagicJack Internet Phone
2012 Ford F150XLT, EcoBoost w/3.73
157" Wheel base, HD Towing Package

Our Solar Album https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?albumid=329
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:14 AM   #19

Read up on peppermint oil and dryer sheets. Not always all that effective. As Roy said, peppermint oil must be 100% to be effective. If you are using over a winter period and don't have easy access to the trailer to refresh the oil, the odor fades and loses it's potency.

There is no pat answer to getting rid of mice.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:05 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
....There is no pat answer to getting rid of mice.
Lots of farm cats!