Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-20-2022, 11:53 AM   #1

Mountain View AR to Memphis

Headed to Branson, Eureka Springs, Hot Springs, Little Rock, etc. Was told not to miss Mountain View and the Ozark Folk Center. On the way out going to thru PA, OH, etc. to St. Louis.

The trip home would go a little south, so anyone have a good idea on a route from Mountain View AR to Memphis? Planning on heading back to NJ through Tennessee and Virginia.

Not familiar with the terrain in northern AR, routing on RV life and Good Sam gives me vastly different results.

Square Dance Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 06:55 PM   #2

Not knowing the type of things that interest you, hard to get real informative on this end. You are getting really close to Pigeon Forge and GSMNP.

Dealing only with Mountain View AR to Memphis Tenn (not Missouri), either route is really the same (14 or 64) unless something you want to see on the route.

Do you already have your Branson plans/shows planned?
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 08:43 PM   #3

If you could stay a day or two in Mt View there are a couple of things to do close by.
About 15 miles north of Mt. View is Blanchard Springs Caverns, one of the largest underground structures in the country. Tours are given by NPS and the museum is interesting. There is a paved road to the caverns and a parking area capable of large busses and such. The campground is no hookups and not particularly setup for RVs but you could call and ask.
Sylamore Creek runs through the campground and the Sylamore Creek Trail follows along the creek. The trail is a typical backcountry trail but is cared for and marked by the NPS rangers and volunteers of the Ozark Highland Trail Association. East of Blanchard Springs is Allison, AR where Sylamore Creek dumps into the White River. West of Blanchard Springs is Gunner Pool Campground, a primative campground built by the CCC with a dam and a small watershed pool. This is steep gravel road access and large vehicles are not recommended.

Heading South from Mt. View is Heber Springs, AR and Greers Ferry Lake which is a COE recreational area.

After Heber Springs you head east to Bald Knob or Searcy which gets you out of the hills in into the Arkansas delta, as flat as a pancake. Hwy 64 will take you all the way to Marion and then into Memphis.

I would not push south to I40 as the highway is usually full of trucks and construction delays, and the road surface is mostly terrible.

Good luck and have fun.
Old 08-21-2022, 08:03 AM   #4

My mother said to go to the Ozark Folk Center and Mountain View because my DH is a musician and it's all about the mountain music there.

Not so much wondering about what to see, but what the roads are like for pulling the trailer through all of the Ozarks actually. Anything to avoid from St. Louis, Lake of the Ozarks, Branson, Eureka Springs, Hot Springs, Little Rock, Mountain View, then change of plans, not Memphis but up to Kentucky to come home.

Roads to avoid, mountains no to climb, etc....

Square Dance Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 01:08 PM   #5

I made basically the same routes about two years ago and no issues to be concerned about with pulling your trailer. Of course may be some short-time issues like construction, etc.

I'll be back in Branson and then heading east in two weeks, not anticipating any route changes. I'd like to leave now....!
garywilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 08:28 PM   #6

Avoid the pig trail scenic byway AR state hwy 23. It's great on a motorcycle or sports car but horrible inclines and cut backs for a trailer. It may look like a short cut between interstate 40 and Eureka Springs on a map but no fun if pulling a trailer.
pc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2022, 09:20 PM   #7

When in Eureka Springs, don't miss the Glass Churches and Turpentine Creek Big Cat Rescue Center. Passion Play is fabulous.
2020 Ram 2500 Cummins
FMCA F480691
Texaspsdx is offline   Reply With Quote