Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-24-2013, 06:49 AM   #1

Mouse Problem

Mice are getting into my RV. They chewed the plastic fan and some wiring to my heater. grrrrrrrr Got that fixed.
Bought D Con mouse pellets in a tray. The mice evidently love that stuff. Put a tray in at night, pellets are gone the following day. YAY.

OMG........evidently they don't go off and die somewhere. One died somewhere in the bowels of my TT!!!!!!! I can't find the body/bodies!!!!! IT STINKS!!!!!! Someone please tell me this smell will go away soon!!!
I leave a window open and the door open during the day. No Bueno!

2011 Jayco Flight G2 23FB
2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Moving Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

The smell will eventually go away with good ventilation, but it takes awhile....., the one reason I don't use D-Con.

I just load up 3-4 old style traps with a dab of peanut butter, along with a couple "sticky" pads and check them every week or so while in storage. Place the traps and sticky pads along the edge of walls, cabinets, etc., that's where the mice travel. Caught two last week when we had the little warming spell.

Last year I had a real good adventure trying to snag a smart mouse: https://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ighlight=mouse

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:07 PM   #3

Yes, the smell will go away eventually. We have a tiny crawlspace in our old home and throw the pellets in there and occasionally smell them working. Luckily, it's not too often, but can't keep them out completely.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #4

Go to a farm implement dealer and buy a can of Mouse Off. Spray all the electrical wiring you can get to. Open a couple paper grocery bags and spray some in them ( it is oily so be careful where you lay them) Spray anything that touches the ground. Farmers around here have been using that stuff for years to keep mice from chewing on their equipment.
6 Speed Auto 3:92 Posi
Rambox Hemi Hard Loaded
Airlift Bags 20" Goodyears
2004 Jayco Eagle 308 FBs
Sold trailer starting search
82corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:06 PM   #5

We store our new TT in our barn where mice love to mingle. I use a product by Critter Repellant (http://www.critter-repellent.com/mic...-repellent.php) mice shake away. It's granular form with a bobacat and coyote urine odor. Just put some inside a nylon stocking and tie up into a little ball. Works great and doesn't smell the TT up. I've been using this product for years on other equipment in the barn and I'm very happy with it. My wife also used peppermint oil on cotton balls, for some reason the peppermint odor repels the little varments as well. And for one extra measure, I gathered up some crab apples and placed them under the TT and the ground around wheels, tongue jack, and any other place where mice could jump onto. I've been told mice hate the smell of crab apples. Good Luck!
Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 PM   #6

I put Fresh Cab in the trailer as well as my convertible. I had issues in the car worse than the trailer but they are in the same building. It's sold through John Deere dealer ships. I work at a JD dealership that's where I got mine, we sell a bunch every year costs about $14.00.
Old 01-26-2013, 05:34 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82corvette View Post
Go to a farm implement dealer and buy a can of Mouse Off. Spray all the electrical wiring you can get to. Open a couple paper grocery bags and spray some in them ( it is oily so be careful where you lay them) Spray anything that touches the ground. Farmers around here have been using that stuff for years to keep mice from chewing on their equipment.

We don't have farm implement dealerships here in SE, AZ. But I will see if the Feed Stores carry them. Thank you!!
Do the sprayed paper bags go in the RV??

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
1500Weight Distribution System, Accupower Pilot Brake Control, Sway Control, Husky Elec Jack
Old 01-26-2013, 05:35 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrod51 View Post
I put Fresh Cab in the trailer as well as my convertible. I had issues in the car worse than the trailer but they are in the same building. It's sold through John Deere dealer ships. I work at a JD dealership that's where I got mine, we sell a bunch every year costs about $14.00.
Our mice here love Fresh Cab.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 01-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkc22fb View Post
We store our new TT in our barn where mice love to mingle. I use a product by Critter Repellant (http://www.critter-repellent.com/mic...-repellent.php) mice shake away. It's granular form with a bobacat and coyote urine odor. Just put some inside a nylon stocking and tie up into a little ball. Works great and doesn't smell the TT up. I've been using this product for years on other equipment in the barn and I'm very happy with it. My wife also used peppermint oil on cotton balls, for some reason the peppermint odor repels the little varments as well. And for one extra measure, I gathered up some crab apples and placed them under the TT and the ground around wheels, tongue jack, and any other place where mice could jump onto. I've been told mice hate the smell of crab apples. Good Luck!
Where does one buy peppermint oil?? We don't have crab apples here in AZ. I will check out that site tho. Thanks!

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD
Old 01-26-2013, 05:38 AM   #10

Do you hang the nylon stocking up in the RV or lay it in under the sink, on the floors?

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 HD