Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2015, 06:45 PM   #1

Move battery to rear bumper???

We have a 2012 X213

I'd like to take some weight off the tongue, so I can carry a generator there when needed. I was thinking moving the spare tire & the battery to the rear bumper would buy a good bit of weight. It would also free up the space on the tongue for the generator.

I am no electrical whiz. This seems like it would not be too difficult. However, I've learned to ask people who know, before I jump in with both feet.

What problems am I likely to run into?

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1

Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.

You live and learn, or you don't live long.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:05 PM   #2

On that small of a camper it has the potential to radically change how the camper handles. You would be talking removing at least 100 pounds from the tongue and placing it on the rear bumper. It could cause some sway and general handling issues, especially since you are towing with a fairly light vehicle. What type of generator are you thinking of? If you are talking about One smaller one, say a Honda 2000, could you have a bracket built that would place it above your battery? If you did that and moved the spare to the back you would have roughly the same distribution of weight. Just remember to factor it in to your GVWR calculations as well as your axle loading. Every change you make changes all of these numbers. When we had a travel trailer, I used to have a tray on the back of mine that I carried a Honda EU 3000 on, but it was built to tie into the frame and sat above the bumper. I also had two six volt batteries up front, so the load was still fairly evenly distributed.

djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #3

He's not towing with a light SUV, the Touareg weighs in at 5K and handles up to 7,700 lbs.
I'm also thinking of adding a Honda 2 or 3,000 but I don't know how I'm going to do it yet.
Old 08-05-2015, 07:35 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckerdog1 View Post
snip...... I was thinking moving the spare tire & the battery to the rear bumper would buy a good bit of weight......snip
The first thing I would do is confirm where your existing "loaded" weights fall with a CAT Scale visit (confirms existing tongue weight, etc.)...., and knowing the weight of the genny in advance would be helpful.

As far as the rear bumper, most are rated at 100lbs maximum, and that's under static conditions.

CAT scale how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:36 PM   #5

My apologies for being inaccurate. What I meant by that is that any SUV, in my opinion, is going to be more succeptable to changing the weight distribution, and thus the handling characteristics, of a trailer more so than if he was towing with a half ton or 3/4 ton truck. It has a short wheelbase, so if he were to have a light tongue weight by moving those items to the back without immediately putting a generator up front I feel he will have handling issues. It just needs to be carefully thought out.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:51 PM   #6

Move battery to rear bumper???

I think the max allowable tongue weight on the Touareg is 600 pounds? Or is it 660? Regardless, I know there isn't a chance we can keep our 2015 X213's tongue weight under that. We are high 700's. So you could be doing yourself a towing favour by lightening up the tongue. As mentioned above, I believe the manual says 100# max for weight on the bumper.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #7

Touareg tongue weight is 770 lbs. I don't think the spare tire + battery will come to 100 lbs. Might be close, but I think it will be less. The generator is a Champion 2800, which specs say weighs 84 lbs. So I'm thinking it could be a pretty good swap weight wise.

Would there be any wiring issues for the battery?

Thanks again,
Tuckerdog1

Old 08-05-2015, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
The first thing I would do is confirm where your existing "loaded" weights fall with a CAT Scale visit (confirms existing tongue weight, etc.)...., and knowing the weight of the genny in advance would be helpful.

As far as the rear bumper, most are rated at 100lbs maximum, and that's under static conditions.

CAT scale how-to: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Bob
I'd say Rustic has a point. A visit to the scale would tell you a lot.
Moving 100# from the tongue to rear bumper could upset the tongue to TT weight ratio. Moving 100# from the tongue to rear bumper could lighten the tongue up to 200#.
The CAT Scale is your friend.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:22 PM   #9

Quote:
My apologies for being inaccurate. What I meant by that is that any SUV, in my opinion, is going to be more succeptable to changing the weight distribution, and thus the handling characteristics, of a trailer more so than if he was towing with a half ton or 3/4 ton truck. It has a short wheelbase, so if he were to have a light tongue weight by moving those items to the back without immediately putting a generator up front I feel he will have handling issues. It just needs to be carefully thought out.
Would have to agree with that. In situations when the generator was not used, I'm sure I could find enough "stuff" to load up front in the TT to bring the tongue weight up. Could even just keep a mount for the spare tire handy, but keep the tire up front unless the generator was needed.

Tuckerdog1

Old 08-05-2015, 08:26 PM   #10

I had a similar idea on my 154bh, tongue is around 420#, when I removed the battery it went down to 370#, put it on the back bumper it removed another 30#. so I will be putting in an AGM battery in the back storage compartement. I should be closer to 11-12% tongue weight. only problem I can see is the voltage drop from a longer wire run, so I will be using 6 gauge wire