Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-16-2018, 09:32 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSScubaDiver View Post
Bleach?? My awning is black. Wouldn't it ruin the awning?
If it's cloth yes, but not vinyl. You could always test it on a small corner.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 04:47 AM   #42
Lost in the Woods

Cleaning canopy

Yesterday I took some of your advices and mixed a solution of water and bleach.
I sprayed it on, left it for a few minutes and hit it with a scrub brush and rinsed it off.
Some spots took a second and even a third dose but the underneath side of the canopy turned out beautiful
This one had been rolled up for many years and was almost solid black streaks and mildew.
I had been considering replacing the whole canopy.
Today, I am going to do the top side.
I should have taken pictures, but didn't because I did not think it could turn out so nice.
Thanks for the ideas.

David
1SG Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 05:57 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBLL View Post
Magic Eraser can be very effective at cleaning but it is also very destructive. It removes the finish off anything you use it on. If you are concerned about damaging the awning fabric, I would never clean it with a Magic Eraser.
I've been using the Magic Eraser mop on my main/slide awnings for years with no adverse effects. Does an excellent job and I don't have to wear old clothes because nothing is dripping on me. Try it, you'll like it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:50 AM   #44

I use spray nine cleaner works well on black streaks and the awning
jimbo56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:18 AM   #45
Lost in the Woods

Canopy cleaning

I just finished the top side of my canopy and it looks great. Just a mixture of Bleach and water and a little brush work where it is stubborn .

David
Old 08-17-2018, 03:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
I've been using the Magic Eraser mop on my main/slide awnings for years with no adverse effects. Does an excellent job and I don't have to wear old clothes because nothing is dripping on me. Try it, you'll like it.
The trouble is its melamine foam that cures into a glass sandpaper like material 3000 grit. And it pollutes the groundwater. We have a well and live on a lake and I sure don't want that in the lake water.

There is enough plastic already there

https://livegreen.recyclebank.com/be...-magic-erasers

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:05 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
The trouble is its melamine foam that cures into a glass sandpaper like material 3000 grit. And it pollutes the groundwater. We have a well and live on a lake and I sure don't want that in the lake water.

There is enough plastic already there

https://livegreen.recyclebank.com/be...-magic-erasers
Ok but on a scale of 1 to 10 I'm thinking that the Magic Eraser is probably a 1 compared to everything else out there. The road around your lake which has particles of synthetically produced rubber from tires washes into the drainage that supplies your lake is probably 100000 times worse than a guy using a Magic Eraser mop to clean his awning. Or a guy that bitches about someone smoking polluting the air and then drives off in his car that pollutes more in the first mile than all the cigarettes this guy smokes in his lifetime. No pissing contest here but just trying to put things into prospective. Humans pollute everyday and there's no getting around it.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 07:28 PM   #48

aah but there are no asphalt roads around.. And drinking water comes from the lake for some.

No lawns or pesticides permitted. We try to keep the lake as clean as possible for the landlocked salmon and loons.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 02:53 PM   #49

Great tips for the awning! Did a search , but looking for ways to clean the roof. Looks like tons of experience here.

2018 Jay Flight SLX 212qbw
2007 Tundra Crewmax 4x4
Bilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:05 AM   #50
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SG Pete View Post
AS we speak I have my awning out since I cleaned it last week. I simply brought it all the way out and lowered it as far as it would go. We have a long handled brush we bought just for washing our Greyhawk and I sprayed the awning and scrubbed it down then rinsed it. Only messy part was working on the under side of it. I spayed and cleaned one side at a time while standing on the off side as I did it. It worked pretty well.

David
When we bought our Jayhawk, I had not seen the awning opened. When I did, it was so stained with black mold that we began to price a new one. I even studied how to remove and install a new one. WE decided that since we were planning a new one then a bleach and water solution could not hurt. I spayed it on, left it for a while, then scrubbed it with a long handle brush and rinsed it off. Some spots took two applications. The whole thing looks like a brand new awning.