Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-12-2016, 01:53 PM   #1

New Trailer Help

We currently have a whitehawk 28DSBH. Had some warranty work done and now we are in the process of trading it in. We are thinking about switching to a jay fligh with smooth walls or an eagle. The dealership also suggested open range or a lighter fifth wheel. Currently towing with a 2010 2500HD 6.0 gas. Wanted to keep the pullbehind trailer weight around 8k-8500lbs dry and 10k lbs fifth wheel dry(maybe a little more). Are the jayflights built better than the whitehawks? Our current list of negatives for the whitehawk include:Small freshwater tank, hard to keep the trailer cool in hotter climates, small awning and no slide awnings. Thanks for any feedback and if it is posted in the wrong area, please let me know.
crtc_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:00 PM   #2

The Whitehawks are a lightweight and the JayFlights are a little heavier. The Eagle would be considered Jayco's premium brand. Construction details can be found on Jayco's website.

You may want to have a closer look at the Eagle. The negatives you listed there might be addressed with that line.

One question, do you have the Glacier Package with the 28DSBH? The extra insulation does help keep it cool (or warm). I've never had that problem with ours, but I tend to stay up north :-)

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow (2022 F150 PowerBoost on order)
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 02:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
The Whitehawks are a lightweight and the JayFlights are a little heavier. The Eagle would be considered Jayco's premium brand. Construction details can be found on Jayco's website.

You may want to have a closer look at the Eagle. The negatives you listed there might be addressed with that line.

One question, do you have the Glacier Package with the 28DSBH? The extra insulation does help keep it cool (or warm). I've never had that problem with ours, but I tend to stay up north :-)
We do have the glacier package. 13k air conditioner. Our problem is full sun sights when the temps push over 90degres. We used fans this year in the trailer it did alot better. The bunk beds also have no air so they get pretty warm.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:57 PM   #4

Granted, our WH 20MRB is smaller, but we spentva week in Las Cruces NM and the AC managed to cool the TT to 69 degrees the first day we were there. When the AC was turned on, it was 97 inside.

We do have the Glacier Package.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:28 PM   #5

Not to detract away from Jayco, but I would take a serious look at the OpenRange trailers. Wife and I recently looked at one that was at a CG we were at. I was very impressed by the fit and finish, seemed to be better than the Whitehawks. And since Open Range was bought out by Jayco (now Thor?), they also carry a 2-year warranty.
Gerard
glsimms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 03:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsimms View Post
Not to detract away from Jayco, but I would take a serious look at the OpenRange trailers. Wife and I recently looked at one that was at a CG we were at. I was very impressed by the fit and finish, seemed to be better than the Whitehawks. And since Open Range was bought out by Jayco (now Thor?), they also carry a 2-year warranty.
I second that assessment. I've been looking at some Open Range 5ers, and I've been pretty impressed. Granted, I'm not shopping in earnest, just casually observing, but still a contender IMO.

Also, unless Thor/Jayco changes it, the 2-yr warranty on the Open Range is transferable.

Between the WH and the Flight, I would choose the Flight. I didn't look much at the Eagles when I was looking.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 04:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper_bob View Post
I second that assessment. I've been looking at some Open Range 5ers, and I've been pretty impressed. Granted, I'm not shopping in earnest, just casually observing, but still a contender IMO.

Also, unless Thor/Jayco changes it, the 2-yr warranty on the Open Range is transferable.

Between the WH and the Flight, I would choose the Flight. I didn't look much at the Eagles when I was looking.
The jayco dealer keeps pushing towards the open range. They also said the fit and finish and overall quality is better. I just have to wait to see what/if anything jaycos gives us in addition to the dealers buy back.
Old 07-12-2016, 04:42 PM   #8

Quote:

They do have the light 5ers. Model LF315BHS is a bunkhouse weighing 8900lbs dry. I think my 2010 2500hd 6.0l gas with 3.73 should pull it just fine. Ive never pulled a 5er but under 10k doesn't seem like it should be too bad.
Old 07-13-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by crtc_01 View Post
They do have the light 5ers. Model LF315BHS is a bunkhouse weighing 8900lbs dry. I think my 2010 2500hd 6.0l gas with 3.73 should pull it just fine. Ive never pulled a 5er but under 10k doesn't seem like it should be too bad.
I saw one of their smaller 5ers at a show in January. My dealer had just started carrying them and he wanted my opinion, so I checked it out. Standard features are impressive, and fit and finish were good too. I have to say that I was impressed and if I were shopping, it definitely would have been a solid contender.

I've been pining after the LF311FLR. At a GVWR of 11,900, my RAM 2500 6.4L would be able to handle it. I really like the floor plan too. But I just looked and it lists the 2017 as "dealer stock only". Must not have been a big seller? Oh well, like I said, just casually observing, I'm not in the market. Even if I were, DW would want to be looking at Class C's or Class A gassers.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-13-2016, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
I saw one of their smaller 5ers at a show in January. My dealer had just started carrying them and he wanted my opinion, so I checked it out. Standard features are impressive, and fit and finish were good too. I have to say that I was impressed and if I were shopping, it definitely would have been a solid contender.

I've been pining after the LF311FLR. At a GVWR of 11,900, my RAM 2500 6.4L would be able to handle it. I really like the floor plan too. But I just looked and it lists the 2017 as "dealer stock only". Must not have been a big seller? Oh well, like I said, just casually observing, I'm not in the market. Even if I were, DW would want to be looking at Class C's or Class A gassers.
Thanks. I am leaning towards the Eagle HT fifth wheel line. The 29.5FBDS looks like it fits most of what we need. Only weighs 8130 stock from factory (I would guess 8500 with options) and 1600lbs pin weight. Seems light enough for my truck to handle with no issues. I have seen where people say they are the same quality as a regular eagle 5er, just with less options. Another feature I saw that they have is the hidden air conditioners, supposed to be less noise. Four Point leveling system, 20ft awning, dual ducted ac, reese 90deg pin box, dual pane frameless windows, 16" aluminum wheels. Also solid surface counter tops, not sure I would get them. Plus a ton of standard features.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #11

Quote:
We currently have a whitehawk 28DSBH. Had some warranty work done and now we are in the process of trading it in. We are thinking about switching to a jay fligh with smooth walls or an eagle. The dealership also suggested open range or a lighter fifth wheel. Currently towing with a 2010 2500HD 6.0 gas. Wanted to keep the pullbehind trailer weight around 8k-8500lbs dry and 10k lbs fifth wheel dry(maybe a little more). Are the jayflights built better than the whitehawks? Our current list of negatives for the whitehawk include:Small freshwater tank, hard to keep the trailer cool in hotter climates, small awning and no slide awnings. Thanks for any feedback and if it is posted in the wrong area, please let me know.
I own a 2015 whitehawk 27 rbok. I have taken it camping twice now in Arizona at the lake in the desert with Temps well above 95 degrees and the air conditioner works very well no problem keeping it cool. It is a summit Edition with a glacier package.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Azwhitehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:50 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks. I am leaning towards the Eagle HT fifth wheel line. The 29.5FBDS looks like it fits most of what we need. Only weighs 8130 stock from factory (I would guess 8500 with options) and 1600lbs pin weight. Seems light enough for my truck to handle with no issues. I have seen where people say they are the same quality as a regular eagle 5er, just with less options. Another feature I saw that they have is the hidden air conditioners, supposed to be less noise. Four Point leveling system, 20ft awning, dual ducted ac, reese 90deg pin box, dual pane frameless windows, 16" aluminum wheels. Also solid surface counter tops, not sure I would get them. Plus a ton of standard features.
Even with my enthusiasm for Open Range 5ers, the Jayco HT fivers are where I would look first if I were in the market. I've been stalking them as much as I have the Open Ranges!

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
Old 07-13-2016, 12:51 PM   #13

I am leaning towards a few choices. I do like our whitehawk a lot and the 2017s have a lot of what we are missing. The 28BHKS has 21' awning, outside sink/fridge, center island with large sink and the entertainment are moved to one side. In the fifth wheel line up there are a few different bunk models and the weights seem fine for our truck. The jayflight start to climb in the weight category, still an option. Just waiting on the figures and hopefully we can walk through a few of the 2017models at the jayco plant.
Old 07-13-2016, 12:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Even with my enthusiasm for Open Range 5ers, the Jayco HT fivers are where I would look first if I were in the market. I've been stalking them as much as I have the Open Ranges!
I really like the Eagle HT online. The open ranges start to climb in weight and price. If we didn't travel long distances I would go for a heavier trailer. Last time we bought a trailer we had the option to go to jayco and check out the trailers if they had them on the lot. Hoping they will do the same this time around. The dealer is right next door to the plant.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:38 AM   #15

So I think we have it narrowed down to a few models. Jayflight 33RBTS, 8560dry. Jayflight 29BHDS, 7250 dry. Whitehawk 31BHBS, 7150dry. I like the whitehawk we have and I am leaning towards the 31BHBS whitehawk. Has most of what we want and weight is low. The jayflight 33RBTS also fits the bill but weight is up there and after options and loading the trailer I would guess we would be closer to 9500lbs, stretching it for our long trips. If we could go fifth wheel the Eagle HT 29.5FBDS and 29.5BHDS both fit the bill and are 8200/8500 dry. Tow vehicle is a 2010 Chevy 2500HD 6.0 gas. 16k lbs GCWR. I believe my truck is just under 6k lbs with out passengers and cargo. So assuming the truck weighs 7k lbs loaded, 9k lbs would be the max trailer weight. Hopefully I can get to the scale later today and weigh my truck with full fuel and some cargo we usually take in the bed. It looks like i am limited by 3.73 gears as 4.10s would push the GCWR to 18,500lbs.
Old 07-18-2016, 04:35 PM   #16

Just commenting on the cooling concern. Our Eagle maintained a comfortable temperature this weekend with its single 15k ac. Outside temp was about a hundred Friday and 95 Saturday. No Polar package was offered when we ordered it. We do have thermopane windows. We did use a box fan to help out in the bedroom during the day (our dog sleeps between the bed and the forward wall, stuffy).
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote