Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-28-2019, 11:10 PM   #1

Odd water leak, help needed

Hey fellow Jayco Tent trailer owners. I have a bit of an odd issue. I have a 2012 Jayco Jay Series 1006 and have discovered a water leak somewhere. The odd thing is is that it only leaks when I turn on the cold water of the outdoor shower with the city water connected. You can see your water under one of the dining seats where the water pump is stored (to the left of the fridge) however it seems to be coming from behind the fridge. There is a small door to access the low point drains (on the right side of the fridge) and you can see some moisture on the wood there as well. Why would the leak only happen with the cold faucet turned on on the outdoor shower with the city water line connected? It doesnt happen with the hot tap on the shower nor the hot and cold taps at the sink with the city water connected. It doesnt even happen with the pump running pulling from the FW tank and the city water disconnected. I will mention that the shower is leaking at the tee converter so going to replace that but dont know if this is related. Any ideas? Your time and help is most appreciated. Thanks all.
Tinofenotti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 06:38 AM   #2

It could be that your water pressure is a bit too high. I've had small leaks at crimp fittings before I got a pressure regulator.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the forum from the lower 48, New York State!
At first, it makes me feel the outside shower faucet is suspect. Ours developed a leak from the vacuum breaker on the faucet, but it wasn't getting inside. Yours may be a different design where the hose attaches. If it goes straight up from the faucet, that may be your leak, you just can't see it leaking inside. Ours is a 90* fitting so water sprayed in the enclosure.

I would access the area where the water leak is, then have someone turn on the water while you feel each plumbing connection, and look for wet fingers. Give the connections to the faucet a "twist", in case they may have loosened up a tad. There's a cone shaped rubber washer at those connections.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 01:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmik Debris View Post
It could be that your water pressure is a bit too high. I've had small leaks at crimp fittings before I got a pressure regulator.
Thanks Cosmik - I will look into getting one installed!
Old 07-29-2019, 01:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Welcome to the forum from the lower 48, New York State!
At first, it makes me feel the outside shower faucet is suspect. Ours developed a leak from the vacuum breaker on the faucet, but it wasn't getting inside. Yours may be a different design where the hose attaches. If it goes straight up from the faucet, that may be your leak, you just can't see it leaking inside. Ours is a 90* fitting so water sprayed in the enclosure.

I would access the area where the water leak is, then have someone turn on the water while you feel each plumbing connection, and look for wet fingers. Give the connections to the faucet a "twist", in case they may have loosened up a tad. There's a cone shaped rubber washer at those connections.
Thank JFlightRisk! I think it may be suspect as well. I am not experienced in plumbing (not handy at all for that matter ) but wondering if was possible if a faulty tap can crate a bunch of pressure in the line to cause the leak. Mine is 90 degrees as well. I noticed behind the tap cover that the leak at the shower is coming from a split tee diverter and then spills into the shower compartment. However I know that doesn't explain the leak behind the fridge flowing into the water pump compartment under the dining bench. I tried taking the fridge out but it was more complicated than anticipated (again refer to me not being a handyman above ). I will stick my hand in from the outside compartment for the fridge and see it I can feel where the leak is coming from. I am kind of hoping that replacing the shower unit (and some voodoo) will fix my issues
Old 07-29-2019, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Check the fridge drain hose. It'll either stick into a plastic catch tray for evaporation, or stick out of the lower access cover louvers to drain on the ground. It may be a stretch, but the only thing I can think of to put water behind the fridge.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 07-31-2019, 12:13 PM   #7

Talking Resolved!

Hey folks,

Thought I would share that I ended up fixing this issue. I received a new tee diverter for the outdoor shower - halfway through trying to take the entire shower housing off, I realized that I could access the plumbing connections to the shower from the inside by removing some drawers - man it is tight in there! Had to remove a block of plywood which keeps the back drawers solid and level. At first I just tightened the connections and checked for leaks, there was still a bit coming from the city water intake where it meets the cold water distribution line (out o sink tap and shower) but not spilling out like before. I proceeded to change out the cracked tee diverter and put everything back together. Ran the cold water from the shower and no leaks! I am still going to use a water regulator to be safe and proactive, bought the brass Camco one. Now all I have to do is reseal around the shower housing outside as I stripped it all off .

Thanks again for the suggestions, appreciate it!
Old 07-31-2019, 02:54 PM   #8

Glad you found and fixed the issue.

The crack might have been caused by a little water trapped there over winter, and froze.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #9
Site Team

Glad to hear it's all better! Thanks for the update. Happy camping!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD

Tags
leak, shower, water