Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-20-2022, 09:31 AM   #1

Pop up roof rebuild?

So we bought a 1991 jayco jay king 6 designer series pop up camper. We needed to replace a cable that had broke. When replacing the cable, my husband found the the entire roof was molded & rotting. So my husband took it upon his self to take the entire roof off & threw all of it away. Now I’m left trying to find a roof or I need someone to tell me what all I need to make a sturdy new one. I have no specs or anything to know where to even begin. Help me!!
AbbyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2022, 09:57 AM   #2

Yrs ago when we had a pop up the sides of the roof were beginning to rot out where the lift poles were. I went to a local independent rv dealer and was able to order the sides. They didn't fit 100% perfect but with a little trimming I was able to replace them within a few hours.
That said if you have the s/n of your unit you should he able to do the same. You may have to purchase it in 3 pieces I don't know. Fair warning it will not be cheap but if you plan on keeping the camper for some time to come it may be worth it for you.
I paid around $245 for 1 side piece back in 2015. The frt charge to get it to the dealer was almost as much as the cost of the piece itself.
Good luck with it
Old 02-20-2022, 10:01 AM   #3

I have seen videos of people that have rebuilt the roof shell, and it looks pretty easy. That way you have the outer skin which does not go bad, just the seal at the joints. With the old roof, you have a template to measure all replacement panels.