Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-05-2019, 11:57 AM   #21

do you put the tow vehicle in neutral before unhooking to take the stress off the ball
dragonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:31 PM   #22

We used to have that issue when we were pulling our 2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL with our 2005 2WD Chevy Silverado 1500 with longbed. We would have to jump on the bumper of the truck to disengage it from the ball or reverse or forward the truck a tad. Now that we traded in the Chevy for a 2016 Dodge RAM Rebel, which has adjustable air shocks in the rear, we can raise the TT to the point where it is sticking and doesn't seem like it is coming off, then change the height setting for the shocks from Aero to Entry/Exit mode, which lowers the rear of the truck a few inches - and it disengages from the ball! Love the feature :-)
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #23

I have also had the same I keep the ball greased with lithium grease and use wd40 on the coupler I do like some these ideas
razzoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #24

Same problem. Just part of the newbie learning curve.
CaptainVideo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 12:49 PM   #25

I normally have to backup a hair and pull forward when hitching
newsleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #26

wheel chocks

Make sure your wheel chocks are in place - move vehicle slightly ball should drop out ..
Tension on the hitch causes this problem.. had it happen once, had to remove the receiver pin and pull away from the hitch assembly. this was because of tension and I was a newbie.. since I am single I have to do everything myself.. each year I learn something new.
CamperStu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #27

There’s a little lip inside the coupler that the ball is catching on. After you park, put your chocks down, unlock the coupler and back up about an inch (all you have to do is put your vehicle in reverse, let off the brake and then brake again). Now you should be able to raise the coupler off the ball with ease.
Castmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #28

I have tried neutral, but usually start out in park. Will try neutral again next trip.
Kevin&Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #29

Had the same problem on my WH 24rks getting it to release the ball. No problem lifting the lever. I make sure the trailer is chocked and I release the parking brake on my truck with the truck gear in park. This seems to work most of the time. If it is not level I may have to pull up or back up a bit.
jmurri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:15 PM   #30

Try hitting it was grease . . Maybe road grit.
Bakerron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningDad View Post
Great suggestions above^^^
I did find that if I had the parking brake engaged, it was tough to get my 28BHBE off. Once I have it leveled/chocked I found releasing the parking brake give me the little movement necessary to uncouple without issue. Also, as above, grease and sometimes a little bounce on the bumper as it goes up will pop it off.
X2 Once the wheels are chocked and I start raising the coupler to unhitch with the parking brake off, I can sometimes push on the tow vehicle just enough to center up the ball in the coupler and it comes off easier.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #32
Site Team

Mustang65 is spot on for level sites. For off-level sites front to back, once the TT is level side to side, chocked, and the WDH bars are off, with the brakes applies, a shift into drive or reverse is JUST enough to move the ball to center in the coupler. I keep the brakes on until the DW says the ball is clear, then I put it in park, and get out and help unhook chains, and pull out the plug, and then get the TV out of the way. By then, she's got the TT level from front to rear. (I don't think I left anything out!)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 07:21 PM   #33

I always put my truck in neutral and no parking brake when unhitching the ball and it seems to help.
rhouthoofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:23 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin&Steph View Post
Does anyone else have problems getting the hitch ball to drop out of the camper hitch? I have a 2019 Jayflight 28RLS and it has only dropped out without a fight once. I had to pull the receiver pin once and pull the truck away to get unhitched. This is our second Jayco and the first one gave me similar problems. I do put a light coating of reese hitch ball white grease on the ball before each use. Changed tow vehicles and hitch brand when we traded campers.
Leave one of the weight distribution bars connected to the hitch, but disconnected from the trailer. As you raise the hitch push up and down on the weight distribution bar to rock the hitch side to side. It will come out every time.