Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,371
Chinnie,

The newer 1/2 tons are better for towing than older ones, but they still fall short in payload capacity as compared to 3/4 ton models. It's the limited payload of 1/2 tons that can get folks in trouble because they don't realize all the variables that contribute to it. That's why I recommended that you go to a CAT scale under loaded TV/TT conditions to confirm your weights.

I'm sure the "no-ways" on the 1/2 ton come from folks based on their loading and travel habits. It just becomes more important to understand the weight you are adding to a 1/2 ton because it's limits are less for-giving than if you went with a 3/4 ton under the same circumstances.

I'll add a couple of more comments based on your added information, and also echoing what others have offered:

* Tires; Consider a LT rated tire, 10 ply tread, 6 ply sidewall.

* Adding air bags will not increase TT tongue weight allowances.

* The ProPride WDH hardware added to the TT A-frame will add about 75lbs.
to your TT loaded tongue weight. The remaining hardware is added to the
TV's weight.

* To best confirm how much true payload your TV has, take it to a CAT
scale and weight it under loaded conditions (passengers, cargo, full fuel,
etc.), subtract this weight from the TV's GVWR. This will give you a
snapshot of what you have to work with (for tongue weight, WDH, etc.).
Only a TV/TT CAT scale weigh-in process will confirm where your axle
weights fall.

* To minimize the potential for going over your TV's weight limits, tow
without any fluids in the TT tanks.

* With a 34ft. long TT, you will want your loaded TT tongue weight at 13%
to 15% of the loaded TT weight. So a 8,000lb TT weight (including the
ProPride WDH), would put the desired loaded tongue weight at 1,040lbs to
1,200lbs. This is where 1/2 tons can get in trouble with the heavier TT
weights, they run out of payload capacity to carry the tongue weights.
Keep in mind you stated that your TV only has a 1,620lb payload
capacity (based on your TV's base curb weight).

As I mentioned in my first post, "IMO your 1/2 ton TV will tow the TT assuming that you keep your all your "loaded" weights within your TV, TV receiver, and TT specified weight limits".

The better understanding you have about "loaded" TV/TT weights and there respective limits, the safer your travels will be.

Bob
__________________

__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: White Salmon, Wa.
Posts: 550
Dont worry about the 17" tires and Wheels on the truck that is what Dodge has put on there trucks since 2003 they have larger rotors and 17 inch wheels is the smallest that you can put on that goes for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton but tires arent low profile they are standard tires.
__________________

Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
 
Rustic Eagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 7,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue View Post
Dont worry about the 17" tires and Wheels on the truck that is what Dodge has put on there trucks since 2003 they have larger rotors and 17 inch wheels is the smallest that you can put on that goes for 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton but tires arent low profile they are standard tires.
Your correct, I was thinking about the 20" wheels/tires that came with my brother in-law's TV that created some issues with his towing.

The Ram 1500 17" wheels can come with "P" rated tires, but IMO "LT" tires would better serve the OP's TV/TT combination.

Bob
__________________

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #14
Site Team
 
Denise's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mostly the US
Posts: 10,004
Chinnie not the perfect answer, but just a little bit about our experience. I'm aware you have the Dodge (check my sig). Our particular half ton is rated at over 10k lbs towing. Our tt is 30'6" and around 7100 lbs loaded. We have anywhere from 2-4 people and bikes in our tv. Our tongue is around 1000+ lbs (pretty heavy and really reduces the payload for out tv).

Although we can tow 'a lot', towing on hills and grades can bog down our 1/2 ton all the way down to 40-45mph. Although hills aren't as bad, the truck still has to work. The tow/haul works great on the grade descents and keeps us from having to 'ride' the breaks. Don and I are pretty sure we wouldn't tow with any heavier tt (even though the numbers say we can) or any longer than the 30' we have. When traveling the longer distances with your half ton, keep the speed down below 65mph and leave plenty of room behind you and the guy in front of you

Also, with our platinum, the original tires/wheels were 20". Thank goodness for the internet, because we learned that we really should trade out those 'bling' car tires for 18" LT's. We contacted the manager at the dealer (our truck was coming from another dealership 200 miles away) who was a little reluctant to make the wheel trade. I pointed out to him that I was pretty sure that with him knowing we were purchasing the truck to tow with, he would feel pretty bad knowing that we had an accident due to not having the necessary equipment. He agreed and swapped out some nice 18" rims/LT tires.

Hope this helps a little... Have fun with your new tt/tv combo and post pics when you can
__________________
moderator
Denise, DH, grandkids, and two rescue pups
-2016 Jay Flight 29QBS Elite
-2016 Ford F-250 XLT 4x2, 6.2L EFI V8, 4.30 Elec Lock, Heavy duty Alt
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:19 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North Idaho/Arizona
Posts: 5,303
To me a tow truck should have LT tires either 8 ply or 10 ply. With a 1/2 ton truck I would not put 80# of air in the tires because the wheels may not handle that pressure. 65# should be ok tho.
__________________
2011 Eagle 330RLTS with just about every option.
2017 Silverado 1500 4x4 5.3 with tow package.

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:59 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Seann45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Saskatoon Sask Canada
Posts: 9,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
To me a tow truck should have LT tires either 8 ply or 10 ply. With a 1/2 ton truck I would not put 80# of air in the tires because the wheels may not handle that pressure. 65# should be ok tho.
Anything over 50psi requires special METAL valve stems. The rubber ones will not safely handle the pressure.
__________________
Seann
2004 Chev Silverado Duramax optioned past the max. 2009 Jayco Eagle 308 RLS 765 watts of solar, 6-6 volt batteries (696 amp hour), 2000 watt (4000 surge) whole house inverter.
175 days boondocking in 2017
215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:12 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
TexasA&M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Ft. Worth, TX
Posts: 388
Just to add what has already been said, I think you'll be fine with that setup. The half ton trucks today are built like the 3/4 ton trucks of the '90s. Just watch your tongue weight and you'll be fine. You won't win any races, but you shouldn't be racing anyway.

You're already ahead of most of the half ton crowd thanks to the rear end you've got in that Ram... 3.92 are great gears for pulling (most come with 3.55 or higher these days for more mpg). Even with a good WDH setup, your rear end will squat some. If you don't like the way it handles with the squat, get a set of air bags or timbrens to help.

The size of rim doesn't necessarily negate from towing... if the truck you're buying is rated at a certain weight, that already includes the rims on the vehicle. I know that Ford doesn't put anything smaller than 17" on their half tons anymore because their brakes are so big that anything smaller won't fit. Dodge is probably the same. Just get a decent set of tires (D or E rated) and you'll be good to go.

Be wary of what you hear (or read) on the internet. There are a LOT of folks out there who truly believe you need a one ton dually to tow a jet ski. With some of the larger message boards, you have to wade through a lot of posts before you find any that are actually based in fact and experience. Thankfully, this board is occupied by a level headed group that doesn't feel the need to reply to every single post with an opinion. I like hanging out here because it's mostly fact and experience, as opposed to 'mine is bigger than yours.'
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:40 PM   #18
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasA&M View Post
Just to add what has already been said, I think you'll be fine with that setup. The half ton trucks today are built like the 3/4 ton trucks of the '90s. Just watch your tongue weight and you'll be fine. You won't win any races, but you shouldn't be racing anyway.

You're already ahead of most of the half ton crowd thanks to the rear end you've got in that Ram... 3.92 are great gears for pulling (most come with 3.55 or higher these days for more mpg). Even with a good WDH setup, your rear end will squat some. If you don't like the way it handles with the squat, get a set of air bags or timbrens to help.

The size of rim doesn't necessarily negate from towing... if the truck you're buying is rated at a certain weight, that already includes the rims on the vehicle. I know that Ford doesn't put anything smaller than 17" on their half tons anymore because their brakes are so big that anything smaller won't fit. Dodge is probably the same. Just get a decent set of tires (D or E rated) and you'll be good to go.

Be wary of what you hear (or read) on the internet. There are a LOT of folks out there who truly believe you need a one ton dually to tow a jet ski. With some of the larger message boards, you have to wade through a lot of posts before you find any that are actually based in fact and experience. Thankfully, this board is occupied by a level headed group that doesn't feel the need to reply to every single post with an opinion. I like hanging out here because it's mostly fact and experience, as opposed to 'mine is bigger than yours.'

Well said Tex. That is what sets this forum apart. Folks really want to help, not hammer a poster looking for advice.
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
Member
 
pjsl01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Well said Tex. That is what sets this forum apart. Folks really want to help, not hammer a poster looking for advice.
Thats exactly why I love this forum!
__________________
2016 Eagle 314 BHDS (Not delivered yet)
2009 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (SOLD)
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 7.3L PSD 4x4
Prodigy Brake Controller
pjsl01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 4
Smiles - I didn't realize there was a second page of comments so sorry I'm slow responding.

Bob - that's exactly where my fear lies - "This is where 1/2 tons can get in trouble with the heavier TT weights, they run out of payload capacity to carry the tongue weights.".

It's the tongue weight that terrifies me and am not sure how to know if we have surpassed that? The way I see it is - if I am adding this correctly we have a tongue weight of 1185 lbs correct [dry hitch weight + 200 lbs propane/battery + 200 lbs hitching system]? Don't we also have to add the weight of anything stowed under the front bed to that?.....Does all this get subtracted from the payload?
__________________

chinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.