Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-07-2023, 05:03 PM   #1

Ready For Solar question

Hey guys I have a Jayco Slx 212qbw 2022, it was purchased with a ready for solar go power, it already has a solar panel installed on the roof, and a sticker inside that says cut on the lines to install the controller, I cut out the hole only to find two looped wires, i’m not quite sure how to go about installing the controller from here my gut says they're meant to be split to install the controller however how can I tell which is to the battery and which is to the solar panel thanks
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg   11978812-01F3-453C-9483-97A51F05922D.jpg  
Papasawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 06:51 PM   #2

I would imagine If the panel was factory installed there is a controller installed somewhere already. If not it would damage the batteries.
Old 05-07-2023, 07:06 PM   #3

That’s what i figured however there is definitely not
Old 05-07-2023, 08:32 PM   #4

I don't know about prewiring, but having installed my own solar, I have some thoughts.

I highly doubt your panel is wired directly to the 12v system. If so, that is a huge screw-up by whoever installed the panel.

Is there another connection closer to the battery that is not yet made? Maybe a fuse pulled? Maybe someone who has worked with a Jayco prewire can speak to that.

If something is disconnected, don't make that connection until you cut and separate the wire loops.

To answer your original question:
You can cut and separate the wires and check voltage across them. The battery side will be ~12v and my solar panels are ~25v.
Old 05-08-2023, 05:14 AM   #5

Disconnect the roof panel connectors to check for 12V. You may want to throw a piece of cardboard over your panel first.
It is best to locate a solar controller as close to the batteries as possible, depending on who did the install there may be one somewhere. Or not!
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 05:48 AM   #6

Welcome to the forums!

Eventually manufacturers will make this easier for everyone. Before you do anything else, take a picture of the wires attached to your battery and save it in a place you can refer to it years later when you have a question. I'd even recommend printing the picture and taping it inside the cover or on a wall in your storage pass through. You will be glad you did that at some point. Don't ask me how I know.

Another pre step, have a way to secure those wires after you cut them so they don't fall into the wall.

As mentioned in other posts step one is to discover which direction the wires are going. A good guess will be what direction they are heading. Up to the panels and down to the battery. To verify, unplug from shore power, disconnect all the wires from the battery, and then cut your loops. There should be current from the panels but no current from the battery. Once you select which wires are going to the panel verify by covering the panel with cardboard. Now current on those wires should be almost zero. If you are a belt and suspenders type of person you could attach the battery wires and check for voltage. You probably want to tape the cardboard in place while you complete the project.

Attach your solar controller wires per the diagram and following the manufacturer's instructions.

What wires are attached to the battery? Usually there will be two on the positive side. One heading back inside to your converter and one for your trailer jack. On the negative side one heading back inside. My guess is you will find two more for the solar unless they are routing the solar back through the converter.

Reattach all wires to the battery and check current. Then uncover your panels and check again. There should be an in increase if everything is connected correctly. If not come on back and we can do some more trouble shooting.

You can't really make a mistake that will create a huge problem.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:24 PM   #7

Thanks everyone, after a couple months I figured out that indeed my trailer was completely wired wrong from factory! The solar panel was indeed connected straight to the battery... the first hint was last year warranty had to replace two 6 volt batteries for me after 3 months of owning the trailer, I actually never checked the box for solar but apparently they mounted the panel anyways and didn't install the controller, so after 4 batteries and investigation on my own and fighting back and forth about how it wasn't my issue the RV place installed a controller and is getting everything covered by Jayco so basically i got a free solar system... except for a couple lowsy camping trips with dead batteries, figured i'd update because i feel like this could be an issue for other people aswell
Old 08-29-2023, 03:17 PM   #8

So your panels were just roasting your batteries? I'd be curious to know what the voltages were. I'm going to guess it was high voltage constantly.
retroboy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:24 PM   #9

I tested the panel wires at like 22.6 Volts, and the batteries were fairly normal as they hadnt been totally fried but they were well on the way to being cooked, thinking because I had my trailer plugged in at home 95% of the year that might’ve slowed down the battery frying so fast? Not sure how that all works, was just a confusing situation from the start all good now
Old 09-08-2023, 01:29 PM   #10

This is pretty wild

They installed the panel but not a controller. Insane.

Mind if I ask what dealer? Factory shouldn't have done that if it was them. But usually factory doesn't even include a battery that's added at dealer level. So still unsure how they install a solar panel but not wired to controller.

I just posted in another thread asking about a solar disconnect breaker and if that's necessary with the go power 30 amp controller. They definitely not offering it from the factory.
Jayco224BHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 10:38 PM   #11

Local RV dealer up here in BC don’t really want to post their name, but ya messed up situation I didn’t want to believe it was true I just would refuse to believe that this was the case that someone down the line did this, hence why I came to this forum to see if anyone else had a similar wire up situation, heck man I bought the trailer last year and didn't even realize there was a panel mounted on the roof til i cleared snow off the roof last winter
Old 09-14-2023, 10:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papasawce View Post
I bought the trailer last year and didn't even realize there was a panel mounted on the roof til i cleared snow off the roof last winter

My 183 also had a panel installed on the roof that neither the dealership nor I knew about until I got it home and saw the roof from my porch. It was connected directly to the battery and I measured over 14V at the battery. I immediately disconnected it at the junction terminal. Fortunately, the battery was installed just before I picked up the trailer and I discovered it the next day, and it was November so the battery didn't suffer much abuse and was fine.

I was happy to have the free panel, with installation, but it showed pretty poor policies by the factory and dealership.
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gopower, ready, solar