Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-19-2017, 11:26 PM   #1

Removing the 110v fridge in outdoor kitchen

Hi guys,
I am thinking about removing the little 110v fridge that I have in our outdoor kitchen compartment.

Basicly it takes up room and its a bummer they couldnt use a 12v fridge there so i can use it all the time.

Has anybody else done this and what did you make there instead of the fridge. I was personally thinking of shelfs for some more pots and pans etc. Or a large cooler for lemonade

Thanks

Henk
Henkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 07:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkster View Post
Hi guys,
I am thinking about removing the little 110v fridge that I have in our outdoor kitchen compartment.

Basicly it takes up room and its a bummer they couldnt use a 12v fridge there so i can use it all the time.

Has anybody else done this and what did you make there instead of the fridge. I was personally thinking of shelfs for some more pots and pans etc. Or a large cooler for lemonade

Thanks

Henk
1st understand that the small "dorm" fridges typically cost less than $100. LP fridges are 2 or 3 times that. The pro/con of these small fridges is about 50/50. You either like them or you don't. Mine has been on now for about 10 months. I left it on after our trip last winter and have used it for cold beverages all summer. It is real handy when working in the yard and you don't have to go inside the house. When it dies, I will probably replace it with the same as I have grown to like it being there.

If you turn it on 24 hours before leaving home and put a few frozen water bottles inside with the other drinks, it will be ice cold even after being off for 12 -24 hours. If you are boondocking without power, just use it for storage.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 10:12 AM   #3

I removed ours from our Greyhawk 29ks. There are brackets on either side at the bottom and a wooden brace holding the frig at the top.

I use the space for bulky items as the 29ks has no sizeable outside storage. I'm debating removing the sink and cabinets but have not needed the space.

Be sure to pull out the drawer and unplug the frig. Our frig did not work when we bought the rv used. Turned out it was not plugged in! I guess it did not get much use.

Jump

Jerry Mary and Daisy the Beagle
2022 Alante 29S
Jump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:14 AM   #4

Removed ours. Since we primarily boondock or dry camp; it's a pain to keep cycling the re-usable blue freeze packs to keep things cold.
We ended up putting a good quality cooler in its place. We are still able to keep the cold beverages in it, plus we now have a handy cooler just in case we make a day excursion away from camp. Also, a bag of ice (or block of ice) lasts longer in the cooler than in the small fridge.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:51 AM   #5

My 23RB has the space, and electrical outlet for one, and is in fact an option. However, I don't have one, and use the space for my sewer dumping tub, and my leveling blocks, chocks and ramps.

Most of the time, I don't need it, but during football season, it would come in handy. I could get cold beverages all the time with out going inside to the big fridge.

For my use, being electric would be no problem. It'd cold and filled at home. It would stay cold during the 4.5 hour drive to Blacksburg, VA. There, we always deploy generators so it would immediately begin to maintain the coldness.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 02:50 PM   #6

I would like to be able to turn ours of when not needed. Does anyone have an easy fix to unplug or turn off? I can't find either without what appears to be removing the mounting bracing?

thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 07:30 PM   #7

I had the issue with wanting to turn it off when not using it. All I did was mount a power bar beside it and plugged it into the outlet the fridge was plugged into and then plugged the fridge into it. This allowed me to turn the fridge on and off by the switch on the power bar and it gave me a few easily accessible outlets too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2017, 07:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I would like to be able to turn ours of when not needed. Does anyone have an easy fix to unplug or turn off? I can't find either without what appears to be removing the mounting bracing?

You can always use the 120V breaker
Old 11-23-2017, 11:31 AM   #9

I have a Jayco 293RKDS 36' 5wheel with 50 amp service. The best thing I did was remove the frig. and put in a MORryde 59-001H hose reel. I took the small board under the frig. and removed it. I put it to the left to give the handle more room. I just used couple of screw to hold it down. Works just as good for a 30 amp cord. Works great when the cord is cold and stiff.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post

There should be a switch at the top right on the back of the fridge
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #11

To turn my fridge off I just turn the thermostat, inside the fridge, all the way down to 0. Same as a cutoff switch in my view.
Yamaha EF3000iseb generator
Renogy 100 Watt Solar Suitcase
ensign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #12

I should have said a 50 electric cord reel not a hose reel.
putz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:07 PM   #13

I think I gonna use that space for my portable satalite dish and the power cord. 293RKDS
33dave33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:50 AM   #14

Cost is the main issue. I use quality 12v refrigerator freezers in my semi trucks. They are about $500 a pop. They are the same size as those little guys they are putting in the outside kitchen areas of some TT's.

And these 12v jobs are easy on batteries. I can leave the fridge running in my semi truck for 2-3 days in the dead of summer before there is significant hit on the batteries. And they last a long time. The current one in my truck has been running continuously for almost 5 years and over 700,000 miles of travel. I doubt the units in TT's have that kind of endurance.

If anyone was of a mind to set up a 12v unit in the outside kitchen, the place to look for a good unit is www.truckfridge.com

But be prepared for sticker shock!
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:11 AM   #15

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
Havn't used our Jayflight yet, but i intend on taking full advantage of the outside fridge .... nothing worse that having to take off the running shoes to go in and grab a cold beer.