Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #1

Rubber roof?

Can someone find out the correct info for me please? My neighbor said I should never go up on my rubber roof because I can break the trusses? Can someone confirm for me that my roof is not accessible? I have a 2010 Jayco Jayfeather 22Y. I was up there today checking the caulk around the roof vent today not knowing I could damage the roof. How will we install the roof vent covers if we can't get up there? Yikes!

lukenick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:13 PM   #2

Just be careful, the roof will hold your weight no problem.

Sundancer330 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancer330 View Post
Just be careful, the roof will hold your weight no problem.
I weigh 110 and hubby weighs 150. I want him to install some roof vent covers for me without damaging anything.
Old 04-01-2016, 10:28 PM   #4

I'm not sure if the JayFeather has the roof trusses or if they are simply horizontal 2x2's.

If they have trusses like the JayFlight and Eagle line, you could probably have the whole family up there eating a picnic lunch. If its just 2x2's, you need to be more delicate. I'm 6-04 250 lbs and have been on the roof of my JayFlight (very stable, you can walk across it) and my old Nash with 2x2 joists (not very stable at all, I can to sit and scoot and spread my weight across multiple joists).

At your weights, you should be fine. Until you know for certain though, you should probably sit down and have as wide a base as possible to spread your weight across multiple joists/trusses.
spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 10:32 PM   #5

When I was up on our JayFeather roof, I layed on my stomach while installing a vent cover to distribute my weight. It didn't feel unsafe, just better safe than sorry.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 11:07 PM   #6

I just checked the manual, it doesn't even mention a thing about the roof. That's odd.
Old 04-01-2016, 11:08 PM   #7

The manual I have is Jayco Jayfeather Eagle Super lite.
Old 04-02-2016, 07:21 AM   #8

What I did was take up a small, say 3' x 3' piece of plywood to kneel on to install the vent cover on our hybrid. I also used the same plywood for fixing and caulk cracks and re-sealing. Make sure your hubby is careful with any stones stuck in the bottom of shoes if you have a gravel drive.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:15 AM   #9

There is no problem being up there. Actually the manual tells you to inspect the caulking twice a year.

The membrane is very thin and delicate. I nicked mine the first time going up the ladder. Now I put the stabilizers down, wrap the ladder were it meets the roof with a couple shop towels. I make sure my pockets are fairly empty, the soles of my shoes are clean. I'm 200 pounds and I feel the roof flexing under foot.

If you do not do the maintenance you will get leaks!

I would love to hear your neighbors reason for not being up there, and where he got his info, as there are a lot of miss beliefs out there on every subject.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
There is no problem being up there. Actually the manual tells you to inspect the caulking twice a year.

The membrane is very thin and delicate. I nicked mine the first time going up the ladder. Now I put the stabilizers down, wrap the ladder were it meets the roof with a couple shop towels. I make sure my pockets are fairly empty, the soles of my shoes are clean. I'm 200 pounds and I feel the roof flexing under foot.

If you do not do the maintenance you will get leaks!

I would love to hear your neighbors reason for not being up there, and where he got his info, as there are a lot of miss beliefs out there on every subject.
What kind of caulking do I use?