Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-22-2021, 08:20 AM   #1

Seam sealing.

Hello all, I hope this thread finds everyone safe from the virus So I have 2020 jay feather x23b hybrid and it’s time to seal my seams. The only seam that I have a question about is where the roof meets the walls. I know that I shouldn’t remove any existing material any seams unless it it damaged so, should I just apply the sealer over top of the existing seam or what? Also any advice on seam sealing will be welcomed as well.
Ourfeather20’ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:28 AM   #2

Are your seams leaking? If they aren't leaking I'd just leave them alone. I've had 2 hybrids between 2003 and now. I never had to reseal the seams.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 08:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Are your seams leaking? If they aren't leaking I'd just leave them alone. I've had 2 hybrids between 2003 and now. I never had to reseal the seams.
I have inspected all of the seams and I don’t see any signs of leaking, but when I bought the camper the salesman stressed more than once to seal the seams every six months. He could have been a pimping for business in the maintenance department I suppose, but he was adamant about it. He appeared to have my best interest at heart. Just want to protect my investment as eras possible, I’m sure you’ll agree.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:56 AM   #4

If the seams look questionable a little dicor to take care of those areas would be a good idea. I personally wouldn’t want to wait until I see evidence of leaking before fixing it. Once there is water penetration you may end up with more issues as well.
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:12 AM   #5

Oh I couldn’t agree more with you, I’m a preventative maintenance kinda guy. So back to my original question, outside where the roof meets the walls, do I simply clean and apply a bead of sealer on top of the existing seal, or is there more to it?
Old 02-22-2021, 09:15 AM   #6

We only owned our 23B a couple of years and I didn’t have to apply caulk to the roof seams but I’ve had to work on the roof of the 5th a few times. The usual roof caulking is easy to apply and prep is pretty easy as well but that stuff needs inspecting a couple times a year. After reading many posts on JOF I applied Eternabond tape to the roof seams.
It’s been 4-5 years now and it’s going strong. I can’t say it’ll last forever but it’s great stuff.
Prep and application is a little more involved but the results are well worth the effort.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourfeather20’ View Post
snip...... do I simply clean and apply a bead of sealer on top of the existing seal, or is there more to it?
Assuming the existing sealer isn't compromised, I'll use Dawn soap to clean the area, let dry, and then apply a fresh coat of sealer over the existing.

I also use some painters tape to help with a straight sealer edge (a cosmetic thing ), and remove the tape immediately after sealer application.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourfeather20’ View Post
I have inspected all of the seams and I don’t see any signs of leaking, but when I bought the camper the salesman stressed more than once to seal the seams every six months. He could have been a pimping for business in the maintenance department I suppose, but he was adamant about it. He appeared to have my best interest at heart. Just want to protect my investment as eras possible, I’m sure you’ll agree.
I thought you were talking about the canvas seams. The words "seam sealer" usually means the stuff used to seal the seams on canvas tenting.

For the roof, keep an eye in, inspect it twice a year. If something doesn't look right reseal it.

I had a small leak develop on my previous hybrid under the molding that joins the front curved cap and the roof. I pulled it apart, dried it out and resealed it with Eternabond tape.

I was proactive last fall and covered the same area on the current trailer with Eternabond.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:02 PM   #9

X2 on tent "seam sealer" as meaning the where the canvas ends are sewn together. Over time the flexing, etc. on some seems can open micro holes where the sewing machine pierced the canvas and water will leak through. Even if it does not leak all the way it can cause the stitching to degrade so important to keep seams sealed.

"Seam Sealer" is applied to the seams to keep them impregnated with wax or other waterproofing compound. Amazon has "Fast cure seam sealer" for $6. Just paint it on the seams only. The canvas area rarely needs treating unless the manufacturer recommends it. Don't use spray water proofer or sealer, you only want it on the stitched seam.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:26 PM   #10

For the canvas, nothing is required. Monitor the upper corners between tent and the hard wall, often the tent will pull away as the plastic cracks.

The roof itself, yes you need to inspect the roof twice a year. Most likely for the first couple years the caulk should be trouble free. But that is not always the case. You also want to look for tears from branches and the like.

Wash the roof really well. While cleaning, look for tears in the membrane, and cracks in the caulking. Big air bubbles indicate you will have a crack in the future in that location.

Two options if you need to fix something; touch up with Dicor self leveling as needed. Long term solution, apply Eternabond to cover all your caulking. Some people will remove all the old caulk. Others like me, applied the Eternabond right over the top.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:29 AM   #11

I like the idea of painters tape.
rdcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:49 AM   #12

Applied over properly cleaned, prepped and intact existing roof to wall seams, the Eternabond tape will probably outlast how long you'll own your trailer. Check the manfctr site if interested.

As others noted, if it's a canvas seam you're worried about, twice a year maintenance is the rule. Anyone who was a boy scout during the 50's and 60's remembers sealing those military surplus tents every time they were used! And not with any of the products that exist today that actually work.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 10:46 AM   #13

Never had a water problem with the seams ( 11years old now) but I did have a problem with rain seeping in at the corners and center top where the canvas meets the upper horizontal edge. I used Gorilla brand duct tape over that edge and it solved my drip problem. The tape lasts 3 years and it’s an easy replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
DE313984-D8FD-41A6-833E-39AD930B9969.jpg