Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-09-2013, 07:46 PM   #1

Seeking TT Wisdom ?

Hello ! Seeking answers to our questions that came up after our last trip ( Carpinteria State Park, California )

2011 165 Sport

Pulled out our awning for the first time besides being dirty & yuckey after bringing out it did not come out flat & taunt it bowed ?

Cook-top burners hard to lite ?

Refrigerator door open or closed when in storage ?

Any info will be much appreciated !

Thank you, Charlie
Chuckwagon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #2

I always leave the fridge doors open when in storage, helps prevent mold and odors. I always use one of those BBQ lighters when lighting the stove for the first time each camping trip and then let it burn a little while to get any air out of the propane lines. If your awning is electric just make sure you are extending it all the way to get the bow out.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have the same unit Charlie

Our awning comes out flat and taunt. I put slight pressure on arms before tightening.
Our burners light 1st time every time.
Maybe a slight delay, but I wait until I am getting gas flow if I've ran out of gas.
I open frig door and allow to equilibrate after being cold. The door was shut all winter and no problems.

Best regards,
Doug

Cape Coral, Florida
2021 Toyota Tundra SR5, 5.7 V8
2022 Jayco 240RBS
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:11 AM   #4

Hey...the 165 club! OK, Like Doug said fully extend and put some tension on the awning when snugging down the tension arms. if its still bowed might have a bent awning arm. Usually the sun will work out and wrinkles etc over time. We keep out fridge cracked about 6" or so by letting a ice tray prop open the top freezer and the fridge door rest against it. As far as the stove, never really had any issues with lighting it we have a nice delay with the WH before it will light which I presume is air in the lines from sitting and purging all gas out before storage. Might just have to wait until all air is out for your stove to light for the first time, then should be pretty quick from there.
exjay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #5

Thanks Exjay1 ! Who better to ask questions to than seasoned rvers who have basically the same TT as we do,huh. Having only 2 actual camping trips ( both dry ) we are learning as we go. Our June trip will be our first with hook-ups hoping that will go well for us.
Chuckwagon. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #6

Hi Charlie, we love our 165! 2 of us and a huge dog have no complaints.

We leave the refrigerator door open in storage. (Also I've never had a problem with cold/ frozen spots in the refrigerator that others have reported. I bought a fan, but haven't needed it.)

The range lights the first time (unless I forget to open the knob on the propane tank). The oven requires that I pull a Sylvia Plath and stick my head in there to get the pilot light lit.

I feel a clean awning is over rated, but I do want it to snap out there good and taunt. Let the arms out as far as you can. Those arms fight me, but my husband can get them fully extended without too much cursing. Camping neighbors are always a good source of info too, they can help your wrangle your awning until it's perfect. And then, they're not entitled to critize.
2012 Toyota Tacoma, V6 + towing package
I.plod is offline   Reply With Quote