Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #11

I sweep the leaves and twigs off. The leaves and small twigs and nuts won't hurt my seals, but they will end up inside the trailer and I don't want them inside (could result in musty odor). I also sweep any water off. Again I don't want the water to slosh onto the floor when traveling home. I always carry a step ladder in the truck bed when camping. It comes in handy for other things too.

2010 Jayco EXP 21M Hybrid

ďThis isnít rocket science; itís more like quantum physics.Ē
Topflight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 08:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToMeJF26BHS View Post
snip.....I had a guy tell me the slide out will scrape the leaves off itself but I don't see how. John
John,

Your correct, most of the newer slide seals are just that, a seal..., not a debris scraper.

Whatever is on the slide, I sweep off using my step ladder. If I didn't it would be just my luck a twig (or whatever) big enough to create a water passage between the seal and slide would be my demise!

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #13

I've been climbing up on my roof to sweep the leaves etc. off my slide out. Is that not a good idea? Will my roof not withstand my being on it that much?

John

2004 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab Z71
2007 Jayco Jay Flight 26BHS
NewToMeJF26BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:17 PM   #14

For my seasonal site TT's large slide, it goes "out" in the spring and "in" at fall. To me, in/out every weekend isn't needed. If worried about too much dirt / crud on the slide's roof (for example: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/100_0358.jpg ), simply install a soft fabric / spring loaded slide topper.

Note: If a seasonal site and you plan to be at the same spot for many years, simply install you own "hard top" slide cover. Give it a nice slope and allow it to have some flex. For example: http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...ideCover-2.jpg & http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...e/CoverTop.jpg

Works for me....

Spike99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToMeJF26BHS View Post
I've been climbing up on my roof to sweep the leaves etc. off my slide out. Is that not a good idea? Will my roof not withstand my being on it that much?

John
John,

I'm sure it will handle the weight (best when it's distributed), but minimizing visits to the roof reduce the potential for compromising the caulking around vents, drip rails, stink pipes, sky-lights, A/C seals, etc..

I only go on my TT roof twice a year to inspect seams and caulking. I do check and clear debris from my slide roof before closing standing from one of these: http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardw...atalogId=10053 Nice and compact when folded up.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (integrated sway control)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 03:03 PM   #16

Great reply's everyone, thanks. Pros and cons but which way to go, do have the toppers on all three slides so top of slide is protected but do I want the sun to shorten the life of the toppers? Small pain to close slides but would be more secure against the weather and critters. ............guess I'll start closing them to exercise the motors while I still have warranty and to protect my toppers from the sun..........lol maybe split it 50-50..thanks again everyone
Used every weekend
CityFarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #17

I'm in a seasonal site that's open basically may to october and I only pull my tip outs in @ the end of the season after sweeping them off. I will however, start doing it once or twice during the season to make sure everything stays ok.

Good advice!

dave40BHS is offline   Reply With Quote