Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2021, 12:12 PM   #1

Lightbulb SLX Baja 175RD Solar Roof Mount Question

Howdy. I am going to mount some solar panels up on the roof of my trailer. I went up there to measure, and realized the roof is skinned in.....something. What the heck is the roof skinned in? And, it doesn't appear the skin is attached to the sheeting under it (i.e. it appears as if Jayco spread out a large piece of vinyl (or the like) and tucked it around all 4 corners of the roof, then caulked it). It is factory, no doubt.

My roof is also arched a bit (not flat). I was going to mount some strut up there, then mount the panels to the strut.

HOW should I physically mount the strut? Should I cut the moisture barrier first and mount to the plywood? Or go straight though the vinyl?

I know about the super duper tapes and & sealers. I'm not concerned/confused about that. Going to likely mount the gland on a side wall, not the roof.

It would appear that I can't go with a glue-down mount because the material doesn't seem to be glued to the plywood it is covering. Guessing mastic or the like would degrade the vinyl (or whatever the membrane is made of) so they didn't use anything, and just stretched it tight. (?)

Oh, also does anyone know the actual thickness of the roof? I obviously don't want to use screws too long (or short).

Any "Do's & Don't's" would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for the help!

PB
Pbarkann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #2

DICOR DIFLEX TPO roofing material.. That is what is used on all their trailers.

https://dicorproducts.com/product/di...i-tpo-roofing/
Old 03-08-2021, 06:57 PM   #3

You can take a look at my install here: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post874080

If you email Jayco with your VIN number, they will send you the framing and electrical schematics for your particular build. That will help with truss layout and roof thickness.
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote