Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #1

Smallest Used Model Travel Trailer with King Size Bed

As life moves along I’ve realized I just don’t need a big long travel trailer. Small, light, easy greasy and convenient is what I prefer as I just need a place to sleep, eat, watch TV and go to the bathroom and shower for my wife and I.

All of that can be done in a small unit as well as a large one. Finding a king size bed is hard enough in a large travel trailer, a smaller one just doesn’t seem to exist.

So my question is, and I know I want to stick with the Jayco brand as when it comes to a used travel trailer, I still think they are the best made brand. Since they sold the company? I wouldn’t touch them with a 20 foot pole!!!

But the old tried-and-true units are what I’m looking for. I already know I won’t find one from the factory like that most probably, but can anybody tell me what model can be easily converted to fit it?

Taking out a table to the left or the right or removing the overhead cabinets or whatever, what model am I better off looking for to custom fit a king size mattress in?

Ultimately my dream would be to find a toy hauler that I can fit it in so I can bring my Honda Pioneer 1000 with me as well.
Thanks!!!
Cheaperrooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheaperrooter View Post
I still think they are the best made brand. Since they sold the company? I wouldn’t touch them with a 20 foot pole!!!
They are a subsidiary of Thor, just like Ford and Lincoln, Chev, Buick and GMC and GM or Chrysler, Dodge Jeep and Fiat. Derald Bontrager still runs the show, Wilbur just retired. Nothing has really changed despite what the unknowing want you to believe.

MIDDLEBURY — After 47 years with the company, Jayco Inc. Chairman and RV Hall of Fame member, Wilbur Bontrager, will retire at the end of the month.

Bontrager will work with Jayco on a part-time basis as the company continues to be led by the Bontrager family, with brother Derald Bontrager leading as president and CEO, according to a company news release.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:31 PM   #3

According to Google a queen mattress measures 80 long by 60 wide and a king is 80 long by 76 wide, so 16 inches wider overall.

So any model with a walk around queen should work. You lose the walk around but you should be able to build the sides up to support the extra width.
Jc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 03:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
They are a subsidiary of Thor, just like Ford and Lincoln, Chev, Buick and GMC and GM or Chrysler, Dodge Jeep and Fiat. Derald Bontrager still runs the show, Wilbur just retired. Nothing has really changed despite what the unknowing want you to believe.

MIDDLEBURY — After 47 years with the company, Jayco Inc. Chairman and RV Hall of Fame member, Wilbur Bontrager, will retire at the end of the month.

Bontrager will work with Jayco on a part-time basis as the company continues to be led by the Bontrager family, with brother Derald Bontrager leading as president and CEO, according to a company news release.
I know you would like to believe that, but the PLETHORA of complaints from purchasers speak volumes, as well as scream out the truth much louder than your words!

But this post has absolutely nothing to do with that subject matter, and the fact that you’re trying to force fit your way into it with that statement, well, is all the more reason to believe how incorrect it is.

As if the truth was what you say, then there would be no reason to say it...
Old 12-24-2018, 03:58 PM   #5

Quote:
But this post has absolutely nothing to do with that subject matter, and the fact that you’re trying to force fit your way into it with that statement, well, is all the more reason to believe how incorrect it is.
You brought it up in your original post and those complaints are actually the minority based on volume.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 04:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jc85 View Post
According to Google a queen mattress measures 80 long by 60 wide and a king is 80 long by 76 wide, so 16 inches wider overall.

So any model with a walk around queen should work. You lose the walk around but you should be able to build the sides up to support the extra width.
Yes, but normally removing one of the side cabinets is not quite enough, as you gain the width to put the mattress down, but you are also forced as well to remove the overhead cabinets, normally the long one to hang clothes or you bump your head if you sit up lol.

That’s why I was just curious if there was any model that was better suited for my desires, other than that typical, bedroom layout with the nightstands on each side and the two cabinets above with the two closets on the left and right?
Old 12-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You brought it up in your original post and those complaints are actually the minority based on volume.
The fact that unhappy, dissatisfied customers of new units do not take the time to complain on a forum, does not equate to meaning that the ones that do are in a “minority”

I believe what I believe, and I believe it based upon the reviews that I have read that makes it believable. No words you speak here today will change my opinion of such.

If it makes you feel any better, it’s not just you, the RV industry as a whole, as it has been for sometime, has turned into a moneymaking scam as far as I’m concerned.

And as long as foolish and unknowing people continue to unwittingly keep chunking down large amounts of money for a brand new unit that was assembled haphazardly by a bunch of crazy drunk monkeys, the tradition will continue to take place.

Spending $30,000 - $50,000 on a brand new unit that has cabinets falling off the walls, roof leaks, floors that are sagging, and then bringing it to a dealership that has a three month wait only to see they as well did substandard repairs that were just as quick and haphazard, because they have 50 MORE of these units waiting to come in, is definitely what I would title the scam of the century!

The odds that only a small, minority number of units come with such sloppy workmanship when the others come out top notch, is simply not a believable concept. Quality control is quality control and if ANY units are allowed to leave in such substandard conditions, that is normally a core, root problem that applies to everything.
Old 12-24-2018, 04:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Yes, but normally removing one of the side cabinets is not quite enough, as you gain the width to put the mattress down, but you are also forced as well to remove the overhead cabinets, normally the long one to hang clothes or you bump your head if you sit up lol.
So take the cabinet out too.

For the record I just bought a brand new Jay Flight SLX, which are the cheapest line offered by Jayco, and it has been great. I'm sure that they're not leaving flaws on every trailer that goes out.
Jc85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #9

should just stay home.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 10:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1152 View Post
should just stay home.
Should just not post.
Old 01-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #11

Somebody’s angry...
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 06:56 AM   #12

My Momma taught me if you can't say something nice, just don't say it. It is a beautiful morning at Twin Oaks Campground in Middle Georgia. Ya"ll have a nice glorious day.

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #13

Happy with ours. We bought it knowing that four manufacturers are in charge of all RV construction and essentially its a empty rolling tin box. That is kind of why we stayed cheap.. Investments gain value.. RV's don't
But our ROI in our unit has been fantastic.. It is still going strong after 70,000 miles

People who are satisfied generally don't post how happy they are as quickly as those with complaints

Thank you namusmc65. We are alive and up.. That we are getting an ice storm will be better tomorrow. Its snowing to beat the band now

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #14

We have a 16 Eagle 321 RSTS great camper! To bad it took 2 1/2 years to get all warranty completed! Thanks about as nice as I can get lol.
Attached Thumbnails
Camper drone 10-21-18.jpg  
brettt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #15

Well....my 2018 has been sitting at the dealer since October 5th. Wrong diagnosis by dealer led to an inspection by a certified level 2 RV Inspector showed a Frame/Structural defect from the factory.
Not sure if and when I will get it back but I guess I can’t agree more with the early ones being built better.
Good luck in your search.
Tinyhse is offline   Reply With Quote