Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #1

Suggestions for flange or grommet to run wires through floor

Gotta run some 2/0 and 6 awg wire through the floor, and I’m having the hardest time finding something to stick in the hole to protect the wires from the rough edges of the floor.

I have a 1 3/4 “ hole saw but can pick up another one if needed. The 2/0 is 1/2” in diameter, so the hole needs to be at least 1”.

Something that’s not intended for that use is what I’m looking for.
Skwidward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwidward View Post
Gotta run some 2/0 and 6 awg wire through the floor, and I’m having the hardest time finding something to stick in the hole to protect the wires from the rough edges of the floor.

I have a 1 3/4 “ hole saw but can pick up another one if needed. The 2/0 is 1/2” in diameter, so the hole needs to be at least 1”.

It is hard to tell what kind of answer you will get from the guy behind counter at any auto parts store or in the aisles at Home Depot. Most seem to think if it wasn't made that way, it cannot be done. But, I would think most auto parts stores and just about any of the smaller hardware stores (Ace, True Value) would have an assortment of grommets. Google shows a lot of different types. https://www.google.com/search?q=nylo...w=1366&bih=625

In any case, I would not drill holes larger than you really need for the wires.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:48 PM   #3

Maybe something like this will work, you may be able to tap it into the hole from top and bottom, maybe some glue to help hold in place. The big box stores sell similar. https://www.amazon.com/Arlington-NM9...3974&s=gateway
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 06:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skwidward View Post

I used a 1-1/2” galvanized conduit nipple with conduit lock nuts top and bottom. I then used these conduit bushings to prevent damage to the wires https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-...7525/100164719

I adjusted the position of the nipple so that the bushing on the storage side of the floor was as flush to the floor as I could get it.
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbwill View Post
I used a 1-1/2” galvanized conduit nipple with conduit lock nuts top and bottom. I then used these conduit bushings to prevent damage to the wires https://www.homedepot.com/p/Halex-1-...7525/100164719

I adjusted the position of the nipple so that the bushing on the storage side of the floor was as flush to the floor as I could get it.

Here’s a picture...not really good but you can see the wires exiting the bushing in the floor
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1724.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	49815
tbwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 03:35 AM   #6

Fill the void with spray foam and trim it after it hardens to give it a clean look? It would make removing anything later more challenging, but should accomplish your goal of sealing that up.
K2tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:11 AM   #7

Go to an electrical supply house and I'm sure they would have exactly what you want.
Old 05-17-2019, 07:59 AM   #8

Any good auto parts store should have some I got an inch or inch and half from oreilly's last year but if you want a better choice of options try mcmaster carr link

https://www.mcmaster.com/grommets

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/b...Grommet&pos=69
barryg is offline   Reply With Quote