Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-04-2019, 07:19 AM   #1

Toilet removal

Will it take a “ special “ honey ring ? I’d like to this in one shot. I’m thinking get one with a pipe collar.
I’m putting in a Vinyl Plank floor and don’t want any surprises.
okis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:31 AM   #2

Welcome!

Need a little more information.

I have replaced my toilet and it does have a special base plate the screws or bolts to the floor. No way ring as the toilet has a rubber seal the marries to the base plate.

However, Everything below the base plate was glued together including my base plate.

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 07:52 AM   #3

Household toilets can be "raised" with a ring when adding flooring. But I doubt it would fit most camper toilets that are made completely differently. I would suggest instead that you embed the toilet into the new floor.

If your old toilet is not leaking at the floor than simply trim the flooring around it and maybe use some kind of trim at the base. If it is leaking you need to replace the floor seal before installing the flooring. Another way to finish around the base use a silicone caulk to cover the edge of the flooring and seal it to the toilet. Silicone is removable but will hold any water from getting down the gap between the toilet and the flooring.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:21 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaandDon View Post
Welcome!

Need a little more information.

I have replaced my toilet and it does have a special base plate the screws or bolts to the floor. No way ring as the toilet has a rubber seal the marries to the base plate.

However, Everything below the base plate was glued together including my base plate.

Hi DonandDon,
I have a Jayco jay flight RLS 28 made in 2006 .
Plumbing was my first trade to learn then I got smarter and became an electrician. My reason for asking is the closet bolts coming up from the floor I assume from a flange. Which made me think possibly I need a wax ring or a wax ring with what we used to call a tunnel. Like I first stated I want to do this in one shot. Can I take the toilet up by taking the nuts off the bolts and lift the toilet straight up easy replacement?
Old 09-04-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by okis View Post
Like I first stated I want to do this in one shot. Can I take the toilet up by taking the nuts off the bolts and lift the toilet straight up easy replacement?
Comes off just like the one in the house.
Old 09-04-2019, 01:18 PM   #6

There are some good utube videos showing how. You have to reach behind the toilet and loosen 2 bolts that clamp the bowl to the base and you need to take that off first, then you need to take the base off of the floor and that is two more bolts and be careful not to strip or turn them out of the floor. If you do then it is a big can of worms and requires taking the floor up to reset new base bolts. I think that they are all 7/16" nuts and bolts
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #7

There is a foam sealing ring on the bottom of the toilet where the "drop tube" interfaces with the closet flange. Similar to a "wax ring", but not wax, more like closed cell foam. Often they come with a coating of some kind of silicone product on them.

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-3323...ateway&sr=8-13

The toilet should be held down with closet bolts. As long as they're not rusted, it should be pretty easy to remove. I've replaced 3 toilets in various units in the last couple years. The one in my dad's POS old trailer had rusted closet bolts that just spun when you tried to remove the nuts. We ended up cutting them out with a sawzall (it was all we had at deer camp) and replacing them with new bolts purchased at the local hardware store.

If you're going to lay down a thicker flooring, take a look at the toilet base. The three that I dealt with had an outer base around the "drop tube". You could lay the flooring all the way up to the closet flange, then perhaps trim up the plastic "outer" housing on the pedestal to accommodate the taller floor. You would need to be pretty exact because that's the part of the base that holds your weight when you sit on the toilet. Otherwise I would do as others have suggested and trim the floor REALLY close to the toilet base and seal it.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 02:48 PM   #8

Thank You for your reply’s.

The toilet is a one piece unit held down by two closet bolts, no rusty bolts. As soon as I can finagle a towel from the linen closet I’ll pull it up and set it in the shower. Then it’s the flooring dudes turn.
My god the staples they used to put down the carpet and Congoleum . My knees are screaming but, I saved $300 on the rip out. That savings paid for the vinyl planking !
Old 09-04-2019, 03:07 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
The toilet is a one piece unit held down by two closet bolts, no rusty bolts. As soon as I can finagle a towel from the linen closet I’ll pull it up and set it in the shower. Then it’s the flooring dudes turn.
My god the staples they used to put down the carpet and Congoleum . My knees are screaming but, I saved $300 on the rip out. That savings paid for the vinyl planking !
What's the thickness of the flooring they're putting down?

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #10

1/4” at the most 5/16”
Old 09-04-2019, 08:43 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
1/4” at the most 5/16”
You still may be ok. The sealing ring does compress a little when putting one in new. I just can't remember how much, since it's been a few years ago when we pulled ours out for a ball seal replacement.

I'd hate to tell you it will definitely work out for sure, and then be wrong. Maybe someone else will chime in with a better answer.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote