Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #1

Top of the line on down

Out of the following 4 Jayco travel trailers .....how are they ranked in amenities, or a more top of the line model vs the low end?

Jay Feather
Jay Feather SLX
Jay Flight
White Hawk

Thanks and Happy Holidays
redsnapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Site Team

The SLX lines generally have less amenities and less orderable options. The other three I would think are similar in amenities with lots of options that can be ordered to suit your tastes. The construction however is where they can differ. The White Hawk and Jayfeathers are liteweight trailers and the Jayflight is not.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
Site Team

Also I do not see a Jayfeather SLX offered, only a Jayflight SLX.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:28 PM   #4

Anything in particular you're looking at as far as construction goes, or just looking at options and such?
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 28BHBE (#8)
BigJohnD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohnD View Post
Anything in particular you're looking at as far as construction goes, or just looking at options and such?

Yes..I am looking at the Jay Feather 23RLSW.

This model has a couch in the rear, as opposed to the couch in front of the bed.

Construction meaning the quality of the various components or the actual nuts, bolts and welds of putting it all together?....
Old 12-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #6

Kind of a preference of wood framed vs laminated. Big difference in the floor construction as well. I chose jay flight due to the wood frame and typical plywood floor construction, but everybody has their preference. I believe the white hawk and other light weights have the laminated floor, which only has a few layers of luan under the lenoleuum, then the foam and structure plus a bottom layer. Several have complained about a "soft" feeling floor in those, while others are fine with theirs.

I just so happen to prefer certain construction materials and techniques. Others aren't so picky.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:23 PM   #7

Best thing is to just walk around in a few I guess. I also prefer a hung wall opposed to laminated. In the jayflight with fiberglass it's kind of a combo of the 2. Filon laminated to luan, then that whole wall bonded to the wood frame with batten insulation.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
Site Team

The Jayflights have a wood frame (walls), 5/8 plywood floor, and wood floor joists 16'' on center. Aluminum siding standard with glass optional. This is more of a conventional build. The Whitehawks used to have the foam/luan sandwich floors but for the 2016 model year they went with plywood as well, but have aluminum framed walls and glass sides. The Jayfeather still has the luan/foam sandwich floor to my knowledge and aluminum framed walls with glass sides. The main frame and running gear tends to be lighter as well as cargo carrying capacity in the liteweights to of course save weight.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:45 PM   #9
Site Team

You may find this discussion interesting.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ter-40108.html
Old 12-30-2016, 07:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Kind of a preference of wood framed vs laminated. Big difference in the floor construction as well. I chose jay flight due to the wood frame and typical plywood floor construction, but everybody has their preference. I believe the white hawk and other light weights have the laminated floor, which only has a few layers of luan under the lenoleuum, then the foam and structure plus a bottom layer. Several have complained about a "soft" feeling floor in those, while others are fine with theirs.

I just so happen to prefer certain construction materials and techniques. Others aren't so picky.
Yes I understand this......and if the Jay Flight offered the same floor plan as the Jay Feather, I would be inclined to go that direction also.

And I have to be sensitive to the weights also, as my TV is a 2014 F-150 with the 5.0 engine and a load capacity of 1604# and a tow max of 7800#
I am not one to push the limits of loads.....even though there is only 435# difference in advertised shipped weight between the two closest models.

For my specific uses, the Jay Feather floorplan fits the ticket better.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
You may find this discussion interesting.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...ter-40108.html
Wow......these types of discussions give me heartburn!!

After reading something like that, it's a wonder why anyone would be nuts enough to buy a house on wheels.

That video was enlightening.......I liked it.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
Wow......these types of discussions give me heartburn!!

After reading something like that, it's a wonder why anyone would be nuts enough to buy a house on wheels.

That video was enlightening.......I liked it.
Its not all bad, in fact its purtty good if you look at our initial quality poll and quality after 2 years poll most members give their rigs fairly high marks.
Old 12-30-2016, 10:12 PM   #13

Top of the line on down

Top of line to bottom;

Jay Flight
Jay Flight SLX
White Hawk
Jay Feather

There is no Jay Feather SLX
SouthCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 05:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Its not all bad, in fact its purtty good if you look at our initial quality poll and quality after 2 years poll most members give their rigs fairly high marks.
Our Eagle has been so problem free that I can't bring myself to buy a new one and take the risk of getting a lemon. Just had it detailed recently and it looks like new. Of course, keeping it under a roof when not in use is key to its appearance after nearly six years.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:27 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Our Eagle has been so problem free that I can't bring myself to buy a new one and take the risk of getting a lemon.
x2, same trailer.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 06:43 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnapper View Post
Yes..I am looking at the Jay Feather 23RLSW.

This model has a couch in the rear, as opposed to the couch in front of the bed.

Construction meaning the quality of the various components or the actual nuts, bolts and welds of putting it all together?....
Hi there. We own the Starcraft version of the 23RLSW and love it. You might want to check it out if you can. It's the lightweight version, 6200# loaded. But we looked at all three versions side by side at our dealer and chose the Starcraft for several details the 2 Jayco's didn't offer. Outside storage in the back that goes to the space under the counter next to the sofa. I believe that's where jayco had the furnace. Our furnace is under the tv, so we lost that inside cabinet but the out side storage for my levelers, x chocks, sewer hose support, etc. was well worth the trade off. And the furnace in the middle of the camper has been nice for even heating. There were also end tables with electric outlets on either side of the loveseat, we ordered the tri-fold version for guests. Some of the trim details were different also. It was strange at the dealer going thru the 3 units with the same floor plans and looking for the minor differences. But we love the camper and couldnt be happier. For a couples trailer it is awesome. Feel free to message me if you have other questions. Happy New Years.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #17

We looked at various models of the 2017 Jay Flight. We liked the model (21QB I believe) that had the couch in the rear too.. The downside was the bathroom was on the side and very small.... We opted for the 23 RB.... Bathroom in rear was much bigger and LOTS of closet space in the bathroom too....
spdorje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:44 PM   #18

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken the Whitehawks are not light weights anymore. 2016 they change to real wood floors as mine is not a laminate nor is it light weight. I saw that 2015 and earlier they used to be called ultra-lites but now they are not. I checked the floor on my 2016 where the floor vent is cutout and it is plywood.

They may be lighter than others but I could be wrong as I'm not familiar with all the models in detail.
Dropnaduece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:00 PM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropnaduece View Post
If I'm not mistaken the Whitehawks are not light weights anymore. 2016 they change to real wood floors as mine is not a laminate nor is it light weight. I saw that 2015 and earlier they used to be called ultra-lites but now they are not. I checked the floor on my 2016 where the floor vent is cutout and it is plywood.

They may be lighter than others but I could be wrong as I'm not familiar with all the models in detail.
Still described as " ultralite travel trailers" on Jayco's Whitehawk web page.
Old 01-01-2017, 05:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by secal48 View Post
Hi there. We own the Starcraft version of the 23RLSW and love it.
Is this the Launch Ultra Lite model?....

It does say 5/8" ply flooring.
Vacuum-Bonded Laminated Aluminum Framed Sidewalls (R-9)
Not sure what that is actually......can you provide some insight please?