Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #41

I was flushing my water system through the city water connection (using my hose at my house). I then switched it to what I thought was the potable water holding tank to test my water pump. My water wasn’t going into my water tank but rather filling up my black tank!
woggy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:05 PM   #42

In my camper, the vents for the black tank and the grey tank are tied together inside the wall at a relatively high elevation, and a single connection goes through the roof. If I overfill the black tank some of the goody could travel up through the vent and down into the grey tank.
Then, if it continues, the grey tank could fill up and there could be goody water coming up through the grey drains....
2000 Jeep Sahara

"Any advice I give or facts I present are valid to the best of my knowledge,
but I am not responsible if you follow it and you **** your **** up."
Bullitt6283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:07 PM   #43

flush

I did not do this but I was there. We have a good friend of ours that works in the RV industry. He actually does final quality inspections for another manufacturer. So he knows a lot about RVs. He was camping full time and camped at the same campground that we have a seasonal lot. He had 2 horses connected to the water outlet 1) his fresh water hose and 2) a hose connected to his black tank flush. He was at work one day when his wife turned off the water to the camper when she left to go shopping. She had actually turned the flush on and left. The black tank completely split open and dumped all contents on the ground under the camper. He had to cut the under pinning to get to the tank which dumped anything that was left. I held the flash light for him but from a distance. He was literally crawling in black water. He had to replace the tank, all the insulation, and the underpinning. I don't think that he leaves the black tank flush hooked up to the hose now.
rogers81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:24 PM   #44

Haven't made that particular mistake yet but I still own my RV so there is still time.......

I empty and flush the black water tank each trip before we leave the campground so the trailer is always stored with a rinsed tank but I do one other thing as well. At the beginning of the season after de-winterizing, I will fill the black tank about half way before leaving for the campground. Once we arrive and I have everything set up I drain the water that I put into the black tank at home. You would be amazed at the amount of nastiness that gets broken loose from the water sloshing around while traveling!
Russ661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:32 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGawan View Post
so what was the source of the water that filled up your black tank??? I don't get it. ...
On our Hummingbird, there are two outlets (?) to attach a hose, one for the black water flush and one for city water so no need to fill the tanks (potable and hot water). When intending to fill the water tank, I hooked up to the black water flush instead. And, voila!
bleckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:48 PM   #46

I did it too

I did this EXACT same thing after a long day on the road. However it came out my toilet and into my fifth wheel. I now put a 3' extension hose to attach the flush hose up to it so I will never make that mistake again. I feel your pain!
david.ohanlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #47

I have done something similar. I was showing my son how to hook up water not long after we got our 5th wheel North Point and of course I had a "Y" connection on the faucet. From one side of the "Y" I had a hose to the flush inlet and on the other side of the "Y" our hose to the city water inlet.
I then hollered to Becky, "Water coming on" and turned on the water faucet (and did not check the little valve on the Y fitting for the flush hose). Then went to show son next step, awnings.
In a few minutes water started pouring out the camper door, where we were setting up outside... and I had overflowed the toilet. Luckily I had flushed the camping time before very well and the water wasn't too nasty.
I haven't forgotten to check that since.
My inlets are white and black, very obvious, I was just so intent at explaining all the procedures to my son I quickly went from one step to the other without thinking.
DamonBecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:55 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
I'm lucky. My J Flight 23RB has the black tank flush on the rear of the trailer near the curb side.

The fresh water tank fill is on the road side just forward the axles. It will be a little harder to make that mistake since they are so far apart.
If your fresh water tank fill is on the curb. Where is your city connection.
Seems my trailer and others that have the black tank flush have 3 places.
Black tank flush, City water connection and water tank fill port.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:00 PM   #49

Last May a friend did this but left the campsite for an hour. We noticed when we saw water pouring off the roof like a waterfall.

Lots of water inside from the toilet seal but the water must have worked its way through an air pipe to the roof and the path of least resistance took over from there.

Some minor wood expansion damage but we dried it out pretty good and he gave it a through cleaning when he got back. Now that I think of it I did not get my case of beer he promised me!

Matt
mherder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #50

On this thread and others, I read about people who have had their black tank pop or rupture while flushing. If the tank vent is not blocked, the tank shouldn't pop due too much air pressure as it fills should it? And it shouldn't pop just because it is full. Is it from pressure if completely full and water being forced up the vent structure? I have the DW stand with the toilet partially open and watching while I partially fill it, but am still concerned I might be next for this catastrophe!
davolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 03:54 PM   #51

Total IDIOT alert!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
If your fresh water tank fill is on the curb. Where is your city connection.

Seems my trailer and others that have the black tank flush have 3 places.

Black tank flush, City water connection and water tank fill port.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8068.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	47978

My tank fill as I now know, is on the side. Of course, like any warm blooded male, I didn’t read the fine print on the caution sticker. One clearly says city water, the other, well....not so much.
woggy718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 10:15 AM   #52

tank flush

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
I've got a 212QBW and there is no black tank flush on it. Wanted to have one added but was told it isn't possible.
My Jayco didn't have black tank flush, I added my own easy to add
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote