Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-12-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Trip report

Got back a while ago from our first real trip with our Trailer. Just wanted to share some real world numbers with people looking at trailers....

Trailer 2017 Jayco 28BHBE. Yellow sticker weight 6,716 (batteries and propane tanks included) Our weight 7,940. That was a little over 1,200 pounds of "stuff". Funny how it adds up for those who think they are packing "light"... This was just my wife and me, empty tanks, cooking stuff, outside BBQ, small portable heater and fan, tools, bedding, clothing, bicycles (and rack), food, soft drinks (several cases) and Alcohol. Okay maybe lots of Alcohol, after all we were going to Utah.

Truck weight (2017 Ram 2500 CTD CC LB )with two people, full tanks, trailer spare tire and "personal stuff" was 8,580 leaving just a little over 1,400 pounds for hitch weight.

Loaded weights with trailer spare tire in truck bed. Front axle 5,020 (empty was 5,060), Drive Axle 4,340 (empty was 3,320) and trailer axles 7,160. Sorry no actual tongue weight since we didn't get a weighing with the WDH off. Gives me a Truck weight of 9,360 (max 10,000). Leaves Plenty of room for our Kayaks next trip NOTE empty truck axle weights are off 200#. I was standing outside when I weighed the truck and not in it. But I weigh 200# so I added that to the total truck weight.

Seems my true tongue weight is a little low. BUT I moved the spare back to the TT a ways in front of the axles so I expect that weight to increase. Also purchased a new Tongue weight scale to check it out. Weights were on Oregon Weigh stations that were closed (so weight displayed, but nobody home). WDH was a Equalizer 1200. Trailer was level or just a tad high in the nose (lowering it would make it 2" lower. Handling was great. No sway at all when Big rigs pass.

The trip was from NW Oregon down to Zion UT and then back to Carbondale CO before heading home. Quite a few hills including a long 6 mile 6% downhill. The truck with it's engine braking and Tow mode made downhills a breeze. Never even used the brakes.

Real world mileage. Traveling between 62 and 65 mph with cruise control (except pulling grades) was 2,922 miles @ 11.44 mpg towing. With another 546 miles @ 19.5 mpg sight seeing without the trailer.
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #2

Sounds good!

Nice report.

How are you liking your 2017 Jayco 28BHBE?
ericemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 04:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericemn View Post
Nice report.

How are you liking your 2017 Jayco 28BHBE?
Pretty happy with it. Had to do a few repairs and a few mods even though it is in warranty. Easier to take care of the little stuff. I bought an air stapler to tighten up/repair some of the wood inside. Kind of expensive for a dozen staples but it was fun using the tool. Need to find other things to repair. I don't understand why they didn't put in a 2nd AC or at least a 15k as standard. We also added a BluRay player since that is what we have at home.

We love the amount of space when the slide is out. We'll be headed out our our 3+ week fall trip late August. We get to see what else needs to be repaired and how our changes/mods work out.
Prior 2011 Jayco Greyhawk 26DS
jlechmanik is offline   Reply With Quote