Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #21

Large hand signals you can see, an arm pointed the way the back of the trailer needs to go. As we get close arms spread wide and come together until hands are palms together with a stop command, for us a closed fist held high where it can be seen. I explained that if you can't see me in the mirror I can't see you. Works great and we developed the routine in a 75ft 18 wheeler. As an aside I took the DW to and empty parking lot an had her backing into the painted stalls (nothing to run into) and tow the trailer home just in case she had to. The experience showed her from the drivers seat how it works. Wide turns, WIDE TURNS!

2007 Layton 245LF (sold)

Learn from others mistakes, you'll never live long enough to make them all yourself. Eleanor Roosevelt
Edd505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #22

These post are very timely. I'm average at backing up,but last weekend we went to a state park. The DW was messing with the dog, so I decided to back up by myself. I had to make a sharp turn, so one side was in a blind spot. As I was backing up, one of the park personnel started to shout and I hit the brakes. Good thing too as I was about 3 inches from knocking into the electric pedestal. Whew! From now on, it'll be a two-person job.

redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hattie View Post
We learned to reduce the "lookie-Lou entertainment" by using our cell phones ~ so much quieter and of course, much less stress (no more yelling, cussing, or rude hand signals). The new TV has hands-free on speaker and the back-up camera is great, we're even faster than we were before!
I had the same idea, but the first couple campsites we went to there was no cell reception.
I picked up 2-way walkie talkies for $15. Money well spent.
Old 07-31-2015, 09:13 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadster5150 View Post
I had the same idea, but the first couple campsites we went to there was no cell reception.
I picked up 2-way walkie talkies for $15. Money well spent.
We used the walkies for a while, but I got tired of replacing the batteries and I didn't want to buy rechargeable ones. So we figured out how to do it without many words. Someone above mentioned "like a well-oiled machine", and I'd say that's us 90% of the time. Someone above also mentioned "patience", and that has saved us the other 10%! And that's pretty much true no matter what we're doing; we're a good team, and we work at it.

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 09:32 AM   #25

As a wife I understand your fustrations. When we first started out camping I was the one standing by the trailer "trying" to give clear directions but always we both ended up frustrated. So now I back the trailer in as the husband can not only give clearer directions but he also at the same time can tell me which way to turn the wheel and by how much. It has saved the marriage and precious time relaxing by the fire.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:51 PM   #26

Hand on the bottom of the wheel and SLOW movements only until you're very close to where you want it, then feel free to jackknife the thing to get it "perfect"

Make sure you can see your helper in the mirror at all times. As tempting as it might be sometimes, you don't want to run anyone over.

I backed in a PUP for some fellow Canadians last week in Wisconsin. She showed me where she knocked off the tail light cover on her last attempt. There's nothing wrong with asking fellow campers for help either!

2014 White Hawk 28DSBH
2012 F150 EcoBoost MaxTow
Reese 1200 WDH / Dual Cam Sway Control
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmward View Post
... then feel free to jackknife the thing to get it "perfect"

Done that a few times and it make bystanders cringe!

Make sure you can see your helper in the mirror at all times. As tempting as it might be sometimes, you don't want to run anyone over.
Direct view or mirrors; Keeping everybody in sight or out of the way is important.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:22 PM   #28

One other thing for the "newbies" to remember is that it is not a race. Go slow, get out when needed, and take your time. If it is on an incline, I will even use low range. Gives me time to think while I am backing.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:31 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtho1 View Post
One other thing for the "newbies" to remember is that it is not a race. Go slow, get out when needed, and take your time. If it is on an incline, I will even use low range. Gives me time to think while I am backing.
This is always the biggest problem for me, my wife tends to give me good directions and things start out well. Then I speed up a bit and the trailer ends up cock-eyed towards the end of the spot .
motorbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 05:13 AM   #30

Walkie talkies work for us!

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2015 Starcraft AR-One 18QB
2014 JayFlight Swift 264BH - SOLD!
2013 Skyline Bobcat 162B - SOLD!
Cypress, TX
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote