Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-16-2017, 05:50 PM   #1

Cool TV antenna hook up. Three jacks???

I purchased a used 2016 24 ft. Jay flight TT. Front BR, back bath. I'm on my first shake down trip for three weeks and am currently in northern Canada. For the first couple of nights we received tv via the roof antenna. The 42 in. tv is located just behind the center table slide out. I received with the TT a Dome antenna for Direct tv but have not yet used it. When I plugged the tv into the antenna I quickly found out I had to connect it to the antenna plug in that had a cigarette plug in and a tv jack. It also has a small button that when I pushed it in the tv picture came up. We then went to a KOA campground where we could hook up to their cable. I hooked up the outside antenna and no picture. The owners manual said the button had to be out or off. I did that, no picture. The bedroom also did not receive a picture. Above the jack I plugged into are two more jacks. I hooked up to the bottom one, no picture. I hooked up to the bottom one and got a picture, however, I still do not get a picture in my bedroom no matter what jack I tried. It only receives a picture when hooked up to the jack with a button. Q- how do I get a picture in the bedroom when hooked up to cable? and, what is that third jack for? I'm guessing that the Direct tv box somehow hooks up to one of the jacks or one of them is for the Satellite ready hook up that the company installed when the TT was built. Is it possible that the bedroom tv will only work from the roof antenna? Should I put an A/B switch on the jacks so I can switch back and forth between the cable jack and the roof antenna jack? I don't believe the kind of camping we will do will be using the Dome Antenna for Direct TV. It's new and I will probably put it on CL as I don't use Direct TV. I get all my tv via the internet. Sorry to be so long but ant information on how these three jacks work together will be appreciated.
mnsiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:58 PM   #2

I think there is supposed to be a small jumper on those two jacks for cable to work.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #3

Grumpy, thanks for quick reply. Do you mean one cable connected to both the upper two jacks? and then keep my tv plugged into the jack that also has the 12v adapter and the small button that is for the roof antenna booster. I would then control the roof and cable antenna by pushing in or out the booster button? How about the rear bedroom tv?
Old 07-16-2017, 06:40 PM   #4

Yep...rear TV is connected to the booster on the back side.
Old 08-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #5

Sorry for this late reply but we just got back on our one month trip across the US and Canada. I tried looping the top jack and the Boosted jack which did not produce any reception in the back bedroom. (button pushed in or out). Q- is it possible that the top jack is for just hooking into a Satellite/dish? I do have a Direct TV Dome but never use it and don't plan on it. (i'll probable just sell it on CL). I installed a 42 in. Smart tv where the original 32 in. was located. Buy doing this I had to mount the tv on the outside of the opening (which almost closed the entire hole) which makes it difficult to get at the jacks in back to try various connections. Again, I have three jacks. Starting from the bottom jack is the factory Boost jack. The next one up is the jack that receives the signal from the outside wall cable connection and the top is for ? The back BR tv only receives a signal from the factory boost jack connection. (roof). I believe all three jacks were installed by the factory. Now that we are back home it becomes more difficult to try and find the combination that will work since we don't have cable tv to experiment with. (all our tv is through the internet). Any more ideas?
Old 08-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #6

One more thing to think about... On my TV, I have to change the setting from "air" (which is antenna) to "cable" to make cable work.
redenbacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:00 AM   #7

I believe I may have found the answer to my questions. Now to try it out.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnsiu View Post
I believe I may have found the answer to my questions. Now to try it out.
I don't know who this guy is that produced the attached video, but it is pure BS. I have answered this question so many times that my teeth hurt.

The 3 imput jacks on the wall are from top to bottom 1]Input from sat/cable from the outside TT input connection. 2] input to the booster spliter. 3]Usually the output to the main tv If you are watching over the air [from the Ant] turn the booster on by pushing the button. If wanting to watch CG cable, connect coax from the CG post to the side of the TT. Inside install the loop jumper between #1 and #2 and turn the booster [green lite] off. If hooking up sat, connect coax from the dish ant to the side of the TT, remove the loop jumper if installed between #1 and #2 and connect #1 to the input on the back of the sat receoiver and then connect the tv out from the receiver to #2 on the wall. Main tv is connected from #3 and the rest of the tvs in the TT will receive the sat signal via the internal coax / splitter. There are other set up options depending on what signal you want going to the bedroom tvs.

As others have said you need to change the setting on your tv to load either ota from the roof ant or cable. For sat you leave the setting on "air" as the receiver will send the signal to the tv via channel 3 or 4.

There are all kinds of other issues that you may be facing but the above should get you going, assuming the CG cable from your power post is actually working.

Contact me via pm if you want additional help.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #9

A point about direct tv dome. You won't get that to work even if hooked up correctly UNLESS you have a subscription account for direct tv. Without the account the dome is useless.

My frustration with the whole tv/ant/cable, multi jack, etc is not with the person posting the question. My frustration is that all of this [most of it anyway] would be eliminated if Jayco would include a how-to info sheet with the other pile of manuals. I understand that different tvs have different procedures to scan available channels but the process is basically the same. The routing of the internal coax in the rv, the splitter/booster box on the wall, and the other wall jacks are the same in Jayco TT's. An owner shouldn't have to be an electronics expert or tv installation tech to hook up their tv. Unfortunately they leave it to us to figure it out. Many owners never do and just watch ota ant channels or nothing at all.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:32 AM   #10

Thank you for your information. Sounds like if I had tried to follow the video I would have been even more confused. Your input is the very reason people like me join these groups. While I do have the DOME satellite (also the Direct TV box to operate it) I don't plan on using it. When i'm able to connect to a "cable" again i'll follow your instructions. (I was confused on the "CG" term you used. Until then i'll use my roof top or the five hundred movies I have on thumb drives. Thanks again.