Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2023, 03:58 PM   #1

Un-winterizing the travel trailer questions

So we are getting things together for a first trip of the new year.

Last fall I winterized using the below numbered steps compiled from reading here and watching YouTube videos.

My questions are two:
1. Is is okay to un-winterizing by using the same steps but with fresh water?

Or -

2. "Is a re-ordering that leaves out the water heater possible that accomplishes the un-winterization task but with city water?"

Doing winterization:
1. Drain water heater by removing outside drain cap.
2. If still open, close the outside low point drains.
3. Close the valves that bypass water heater. On the 224BH the access door is at the rear of the cargo space underneath the bottom bunk.
4. Underneath the sink, turn on the valve at the water pump to allow antifreeze to be siphoned into the system.
5. Insert siphon tube into the antifreeze jug.
6. Starting with the faucet furthest away from the water pump, turn on the water pump and open the faucets to siphon anti-freeze into the lines. Working around, open the hot, then the cold side of all faucets in the trailer until pink fluid is flowing freely. On ours I followed this order: shower, toilet, bathroom sink, kitchen sink, outside sink, outside shower.
7. Dump a bit of antifreeze into each sink to fill the p-traps.
8. Back at the pump; turn the siphon valve back to its original position.
9. Gently pry the screen and rubber washer out of the city water connection, then stand aside and press the tip of the white valve inside fitting. This releases the pressure on the system.
10. Reinstall the hot water heater plug to cover the opening.

The steps above called for roughly 2.5 gallons of RV antifreeze to winterize, so I think a similar amount might flush the system.

As always, thanks in advance!

Rick
wordsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2023, 04:22 PM   #2

Here is mine. Put some water in fresh tank. Reset to normal water settings but don't close drains. Run pump till water comes out the low point drains. Shut them off and purge all the taps, showers, etc. of pink and get clear water in everything. Last step is to add some clorox to the tank and then run it through all the pipes, how water heater, etc. Then drain all and add fresh water to purge including heater tank. Fill tank and on the way.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 06:37 PM   #3

You need to run considerably more than 2.5 gallons of water through the system to remove the residual anti freeze solution.

I like the rinse and sanitation idea from RogerR above.
Old 02-27-2023, 07:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Here is mine. Put some water in fresh tank. Reset to normal water settings but don't close drains. Run pump till water comes out the low point drains. Shut them off and purge all the taps, showers, etc. of pink and get clear water in everything. Last step is to add some Clorox to the tank and then run it through all the pipes, how water heater, etc. Then drain all and add fresh water to purge including heater tank. Fill tank and on the way.
10-4 Thanks. I'll copy that off and make it into a bullet point list for use when I'm at the trailer with no internet signal!
Old 02-27-2023, 08:55 PM   #5

Add a step

Add a step to blow the pink stuff out of the lines with air before starting the rinse with fresh water. It will take less water to rinse the antifreeze out.
pc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 08:57 PM   #6

I also blow the water out with air before running pink stuff in. Dilutes the antifreeze less.
pc55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 02:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc55 View Post
Add a step to blow the pink stuff out of the lines with air before starting the rinse with fresh water. It will take less water to rinse the antifreeze out.
I see the logic of the maneuver. How and where do you apply air pressure to the system?
Old 03-01-2023, 05:38 AM   #8

You use your air compressor with reguset below 50psi and hook up to your city water connection with your air compressor.
MadGasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 01:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGasser View Post
You use your air compressor with reguset below 50psi and hook up to your city water connection with your air compressor.
Sound simple enough. And I can see me sourcing parts to make such a fitting part of my camper tool kit.

Can you clarify what the word "requset" is in your answer? I've a feeling spell check missed it and you had a different word in mind.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:02 PM   #10

Sorry that's regulator. I swype type and forget to proofread sometimes.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:07 PM   #11

City water pressure is ~ 60psi. Depending how far you are from the water tower. Therefore you want to introduce air into your trailer lower than that. To not blow things apart. An air compressor has a regulator on it to set the out going psi.
Old 03-01-2023, 02:59 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGasser View Post
City water pressure is ~ 60psi. Depending how far you are from the water tower. Therefore you want to introduce air into your trailer lower than that. To not blow things apart. An air compressor has a regulator on it to set the out going psi.

Take the guess work out of it by using one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-36153-Br.../dp/B0006IX68O

Coupled with one of these:

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-40055-X-...%2C270&sr=1-13
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2023, 04:10 PM   #13

There's no guess work. Your air compressor has a gauge on it. It's called a regulator. You can set the psi to whatever you want.
Old 03-01-2023, 04:42 PM   #14

Yes, I have a regulator but I usually find it needs to be adjusted once or twice with air flowing to settle on a pressure. It's also a tiny gauge with teeny tiny numbers so I need to put on my glasses to set it but I left those on the table or somewhere...

I need the blow out adaptor anyway and for another 10 bucks it's worth it to me not to have to worry about the pressure. I have also thought about getting an adaptor that fits with a tire inflater so I could use it with the regulator out on the road with my inflator pump or at a gas station if I wanted to. It's another 10 buck item that could get tossed in the toolbox.

https://www.amazon.ca/Camco-36153-Br...%2C289&sr=1-17
FISTEP is offline   Reply With Quote