Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2016, 09:24 AM   #1

Uneven tire wear

All,

Seems I'm doomed with uneven tire wear, but I wanted to see if anyone else experiences the same issue. When I first bought the trailer/26BHS (March, 2015) I noticed bad uneven tire wear after the first 900 mile trip. I had one of the axles replaced and had to purchase a new tire to replace one of the original Rainer tires. I've since pulled another 5,000 or so miles and two other tires are wearing uneven on the outside edge, different axle, different sides. Both are the original Rainer tires which appear be a softer rubber than the Maxxis I changed out on one. One of the tires wearing uneven is on the axle that was replaced.

Does anyone else's tires wear unevenly and do you do anything about it if its not that bad? I figure I'll have to replace the 3 original Rainer with Maxxis over the Winter. A few things are on my mind;
1) When I had the axle replaced, they took 3 months to have it done under warranty and I spent many hours on the phone checking on status and trying to get it covered under warranty between Jayco and Dexter (axle manufacturer). It was a REAL pain.
2) Perhaps the Rainer tires are a little too soft and wearing more than replacements would. The tread depth on the Maxxis tires is close to twice that of the original Rainer as well.
3) I've read on this forum about replacing tires every few years so they don't age too much and cause a blowout.
4) I have a TireTech monitor and the temp never gets high

If I can get 7,000 miles out of the Maxxis tires over 3 years, should I just let the uneven wear go? They've already replaced an axle once and didn't get it right. Is it worth the hassle or do I let it go knowing even if they wear a little uneven its fine because I'll be replacing them anyway.

Attached are pics for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
20161121_101121_resized.jpg   20161121_101100_resized.jpg  
mini4mw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:15 PM   #2

I don't think that's right. I think you have something going on. My Rainier tires still look great after about 3500 miles of towing this summer on my 28BHBE. I wonder if the leaf spring mounts are welded off center on one side. If it was very little, I suspect the trailer would tow perfectly fine and you would never notice except in tire wear.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:37 PM   #3

Have same issue with my passenger side. Replaced front before current trip but rear showed less outside wear. After a 1000 mile pull, noticed increased wear on the right rear with a noticeable raised rib down the middle. Dropped on the spare yesterday for the return trip next week.

Have styled aluminum rims on the ground but a regular white rim on the spare. Of course the aluminum rims won't mount on the rear bumper spare rack. Left sides are like new. Have around 12k miles on the original set.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #4
Lost in the Woods

If this were happening to me , I would be at my dealer asking them to check the location of the axels on the leaf springs. I would ask them what procedure do they use to verify that the axels are positioned correctly on the springs so they allow the tires to role straight and not sideways. You may need to loosen the leaf spring bolts and adjust the axel forward or back to get the tires rolling straight and not slightly skewed. Just my thoughts.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:51 PM   #5
Lost in the Woods

I want to add to that. You ever drive behind a truck or van that looks like it's driving sideways. (Crooked)? Two things are going on. A bent chassis or a rear leaf spring that gave a little, allowing the axel to move. (Most of the time towards the rear) happens a lot with trailers when drivers cut corners too hard and hit curbs. Not saying you did that, just stating why it happens
Old 11-21-2016, 08:06 PM   #6

Thanks for the suggestions.

If the axle was not straight, shouldn't I see uneven wear on both tires of the same axle? The wear is on a different axle on either side.

I haven't hit any curbs that I know of. I always back into my driveway a day or so before we head out on an excursion (trailer stored somewhere else). Due to the neighborhood curbs, I'm backing up a 25 degree incline (driveway) with a ~120 degree pivot on the hitch. The trailer tires are noticeably under decent force and leave rubber marks on the concrete from the tight turn. Perhaps that is pushing axles off center on the leafs? I'm honestly not sure how much twisting (tight turn) the dual axle can handle. From the replies it sounds like enough pressure could push it off center.
Old 11-22-2016, 11:31 AM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Sorry I assumed you were showing both sides of the trailer. Not sure why only one side but cutting turns real tight whether forward or backward will make the trailing tires skip sideways. But you would have to be doing it an awful lot for that to happen.
Old 11-22-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

Sorry, just to be clear, its the first axle, driver's side tire on one side and the second axle tire on the passenger side. From below its tires 1 and 4 with the outside wear.

hitch
1-axle-3
2-axle-4
back

I'm going to go ahead and change out the other 3 tires and have the dealer check out the alignment when I get the bearings packed.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 11-22-2016, 07:10 PM   #9

You have an alignment problem find a shop that can align trailers. Those tires look like they have a sharp edge which is a toe problem if its 1 tire on 1 side and another tire on the other side the axles are probably not traveling the same direction what I mean is 1 is going to the left the other to the right. you could try putting a straight edge long 1 from 1 tire a cross the other tire and see if the straight edge touches the same place front to rear on both tires half way up the tire this is hard to explain.

Deb, Dan & Missy (mixed breed rescue dog)
2015 Eagle Touring 28.5RKDS
1995 Ford Diesel
LoveCamping58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 07:58 PM   #10

Uneven Tire Wear

Get a straight object and put a nail in one end. Center the nail on one axle (center of hub cap) and center the other end on the other axle. Mark the center, then move over and do the other side. If the mark is off by 1/4 inch plus you need an alignment. I took my unit to a Truck Rebuild/Repair Shop. They loosen both axles and set the correct tracking/alignment. No problems since. Cost me $125.00 and I thought that was a steal. I watched them do the job and it took approx 3hrs.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:16 PM   #11

Put a straight edge down the centerline of the axles front to back see where the sidewalls of the tires are at in relation to straight edge. Take it to a good dealer if any exisist and make the warranty the axles. There is no allignment of springs to axles. Axles sit in a perch with a bolt coming through the springs. The only way that I know of the allignment ships can get toe in out of axles is to physically bent the axles. Bending might be ok but I'm not convinced that it doesn't weaken the axle tube. Just think if it takes them another 3 months to fix they will have six months of your warranty gone. Add in another six months of winter and you have yourself a one year limited warranty.
Ryan1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 07:49 PM   #12

Am completely confused by all this straight edge / center point of the hub cap / center line of the axle front to rear / sidewall of tires in relation to that center line. Can't understand how anyone could be confused with such a clear explanation of a process that makes no sense and makes reference to points and relationships to other points and lines.

Can you guys dumb this down to something that folks who didn't study engineering can follow? Please!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 08:54 PM   #13

Uneven Tire Wear

Reference MOHOK post. Measure the distance from the center point of one hub cap to the other using a straight board or stick with a nail in one end. Mark the distance between the two hub caps center point. Repeat process on the other side and if the difference between the mark on each side is more than 1/4" inch you need an alignment. Would like to know what you find to be the problem and what was done to correct it.Hope this helps, if not, my number is 803 435 0658.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:40 PM   #14

Have you had an alignment performed?
Mule: 2016 RAM Mega Cab Dually, 4X4, Demco HiJacker 21K Autoslide on RAM Puck, Laramie, 6.7, Aisin, 4:10's, 51 Gallon Titan fuel tank, Superhitch 30K lb receiver, Jack Rabbit bed cover.
Wagon: 2015 Pinnacle 38FLSA, Sailun G's, Center Point Air Suspension, 572 Watts Solar w/4 T-145s, Solid Step, 1 ton mini split HVAC, Back up cam.
Tote: Custom built swivel wheel tote (one torsion axle w/dual tires) with a Rampage lift.
Drifter1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:19 PM   #15

Nope. One of the axles was not straight when new (found out after 600 miles and similar tire wear on one tire). Camping World took 3 months to get it replaced and that was only after I started calling every few days after month 1. Serious nightmares from that.

~7k miles and 18 months later, this issue.

How do you guys find a reputable place that check alignment? Just google?