Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #1

Warranty Question

Hi, We purchased a 2020 white hawk 29bh this year and camped all summer with minor issues,I had taken the trailer in one week after we bought it as the sewer dump valve handle was never installed from the factory. When we took it to the dealership they Diagnosed the handle was never installed from factory and was never cut into the under belly. The dealerships answer to this was to cut a approximate 3 foot by 3 foot hole in the under belly add a handle and then tape the under belly back in place. All fine and good but after 3 more trips out the under belly was now hanging off. Luckily I never lost the piece and taped in back in place. Now that summer is done and we aren’t camping I took the trailer back and brought this issue back up to them. What they have done is cleaned the under belly re-sealed and then taped back in place. I should mentioned I have crawled under the trailer and the under belly could have been dropped down and then reinstalled no cutting needed. Am I wrong for thinking this? Also would like you opinions on weather or not the dealership should replace the under belly now that they have cut into it. Any insite would be greatly appreciated.
Famjamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:18 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famjamcamper View Post
Hi, We purchased a 2020 white hawk 29bh this year and camped all summer with minor issues,I had taken the trailer in one week after we bought it as the sewer dump valve handle was never installed from the factory. When we took it to the dealership they Diagnosed the handle was never installed from factory and was never cut into the under belly. The dealerships answer to this was to cut a approximate 3 foot by 3 foot hole in the under belly add a handle and then tape the under belly back in place. All fine and good but after 3 more trips out the under belly was now hanging off. Luckily I never lost the piece and taped in back in place. Now that summer is done and we aren’t camping I took the trailer back and brought this issue back up to them. What they have done is cleaned the under belly re-sealed and then taped back in place. I should mentioned I have crawled under the trailer and the under belly could have been dropped down and then reinstalled no cutting needed. Am I wrong for thinking this? Also would like you opinions on weather or not the dealership should replace the under belly now that they have cut into it. Any insite would be greatly appreciated.
Mine came that way from the factory... where the slide motor is.... what they did was create a wood frame and screwed the big piece of the underbelly to the frame, then screwed an overlapping piece of underbelly material over that. It was catching some air, so I did tape it all around and called it good. So I think that is standard practice rather than dropping the entire underbelly which would be very labor intensive.
Furrion Vision S 7” Rear and Side View Cameras
2021JayFlight28BHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2021JayFlight28BHS View Post
So I think that is standard practice rather than dropping the entire underbelly which would be very labor intensive.
It is. Usually it is only cut on 3 sides (hinged) some have a board backing with screws and then taped others are just re-taped. Gorilla Tape does a good job and AMAZON sells one too.

https://www.amazon.com/Flex-Underbel...a-904423277183
Old 12-07-2020, 08:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famjamcamper View Post
snip.......The dealerships answer to this was to cut a approximate 3 foot by 3 foot hole in the under belly add a handle and then tape the under belly back in place.....snip
I agree, standard practice and usually doesn't create any issues in most cases...., but a 3ft X 3ft is a rather large opening and covering the opening with the same removed piece IMO isn't going to hold long with just tape running along the butt-seam (even if only three sides were cut).

I would incorporate a wood backer board frame (very common) as mentioned earlier, add some screws and then seal with the tape. Ideally for that size opening a cover piece should be a little larger overlapping the opening.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #5

I guess I am just being picky as are dump valves are closer to the back of the trailer and from what I see it would’ve been a few bolts and it would’ve drop down out of the way giving them more then enough room to make the fix without having to cut into the under belly. Still very disappointing that the under belly has a hole in it. I appreciate the link for the tape and will look into. Also going to talk to the dealer about putting a wood backing in. Thanks!
Famjamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote