Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-11-2018, 09:59 AM   #1

Water Heater

Good Afternoon folks from [emoji295]SC! We arrived last night for a 4 day camping trip and I'm having a problem with our Atwood water heater. This is our second trip out with it and the first time was perfectly fine. When I turn the switch on I can hear it click 3 times but fails to ignite. I put a lighter to it and it ignited for about 3 seconds and then quit. I am guessing the board is bad but I'm sure others know tons more than I know. It is a 2018 Jayco Jay flight 264bh. Only problem we have experienced with the camper and love it! Anyway to get hot water besides stove? Thanks for the help and happy [emoji904] Click image for larger version

Name:	20180510_213157.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	39594Click image for larger version

Name:	20180511_081813.jpeg
Views:	21
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	39595
Carolinaboy828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 03:59 PM   #2

I have not had this experience but I did recently read on the forum where the gas will dissipate out of the line when the supply is shut off at the tank. This is typical when people shut their gas supply off at the tank between camping trips. It was suggested to get the gas flowing again by lighting all the burners on your stove and then try getting your water heater to ignite. It may be that simple. If that doesn't work, wait for the masses to chime in.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 04:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36fire412 View Post
I have not had this experience but I did recently read on the forum where the gas will dissipate out of the line when the supply is shut off at the tank. This is typical when people shut their gas supply off at the tank between camping trips. It was suggested to get the gas flowing again by lighting all the burners on your stove and then try getting your water heater to ignite. It may be that simple. If that doesn't work, wait for the masses to chime in.
Thanks for the reply! I will indeed try that and see if that may kick it on.
Old 05-11-2018, 04:37 PM   #4

Quote:
This is pretty standard procedure for us and works every time, the one time I didn't do it, the fridge and the water heater failed to ignite until I did.

JeremyFr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:54 PM   #5

You only need to light one burner, and once you get a good flame, you can turn it off.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:06 PM   #6

Another trick i heard about last year and it worked. Turn it on. Go out side and put your hand over the exhaust pipe. Wait for it to fire. Then you will be good. Blew my mind. But it worked. Give it a try
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 07:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Another trick i heard about last year and it worked. Turn it on. Go out side and put your hand over the exhaust pipe. Wait for it to fire. Then you will be good. Blew my mind. But it worked. Give it a try
This is going to be wordy but here's my guess why this works (in my prior life, I was a fire investigator with the Michigan State Police)...

This trick prevents the LP that's filling an empty fuel line, causing it to initially enter the WH as a lean mix from escaping too quickly. When operating normally, spent or burned LP will exhaust out the port you are covering up to start the WH. You are artificially building a richer LP mix than would normally be present had the LP feeding the WH had a chance to flow at 100% fuel at thr beginning and not something less than 100%. It is less than 100% LP while in the process of displacing the air in the line between the tank and WH. Since the initial burn process involves a sputtering (lean mix) of LP until the line is "full," any natural draft that removes burnt fuel is also taking that lean fuel out with it, giving you the hard start. Your hand over the exhaust port is allowing a lean mix of LP to become trapped in the combustion chamber, hence richer, while the rest of the LP (or 100% flow) catches up to the WH. Some WH may be engineered to sense that lack of air flow you create with a hand over the exhaust port and defeat (or turn off) the WH until it is "corrected" as a built in safety measure.

The other option mentioned (starting a stove burner until it burns properly) will likely be easier for some, less work for others, drier for you on rainy set up days and probably safer. Personal choice though.

Perhaps, stand to one side of the WH as you cover the exhaust port. On a larger scale, I've had house fires I've investigated where I found the 40 gallon LP WH laying next to the house or up through the next floor of the home after an accumulation of LP gas sent them violently upwards after a spark or flame found the accumulated fuel. Fun times!

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
stateboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Sometimes you might have to reset the switch a couple of times after each fail. Besides the switch there should be a small dsi light (if equipped)
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:35 PM   #9

See this discussion of the boards failing in the gas only models. I have had 2 bad ones.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...art-56454.html
damammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:04 AM   #10
Site Team

Sounds like the board. I would also try pulling and attaching all connections to the board just in case it's a connection. Also on one of the wires is a small fat looking thing that resembles a glass enclosed fuse. It's a thermal safety cutoff. Make sure you have continuity thru it.

BTW, what lake are you on in that picture?
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:35 AM   #11

Quote:
This is going to be wordy but here's my guess why this works (in my prior life, I was a fire investigator with the Michigan State Police)...

This trick prevents the LP that's filling an empty fuel line, causing it to initially enter the WH as a lean mix from escaping too quickly. When operating normally, spent or burned LP will exhaust out the port you are covering up to start the WH. You are artificially building a richer LP mix than would normally be present had the LP feeding the WH had a chance to flow at 100% fuel at thr beginning and not something less than 100%. It is less than 100% LP while in the process of displacing the air in the line between the tank and WH. Since the initial burn process involves a sputtering (lean mix) of LP until the line is "full," any natural draft that removes burnt fuel is also taking that lean fuel out with it, giving you the hard start. Your hand over the exhaust port is allowing a lean mix of LP to become trapped in the combustion chamber, hence richer, while the rest of the LP (or 100% flow) catches up to the WH. Some WH may be engineered to sense that lack of air flow you create with a hand over the exhaust port and defeat (or turn off) the WH until it is "corrected" as a built in safety measure.

The other option mentioned (starting a stove burner until it burns properly) will likely be easier for some, less work for others, drier for you on rainy set up days and probably safer. Personal choice though.

Perhaps, stand to one side of the WH as you cover the exhaust port. On a larger scale, I've had house fires I've investigated where I found the 40 gallon LP WH laying next to the house or up through the next floor of the home after an accumulation of LP gas sent them violently upwards after a spark or flame found the accumulated fuel. Fun times!
Excellent analysis, 36fire. Thanks!

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 05:37 AM   #12
Site Team

Or spray the back of your hand red so you can find it when it's blown off!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 05-12-2018, 05:52 AM   #13

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 06:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Sounds like the board. I would also try pulling and attaching all connections to the board just in case it's a connection. Also on one of the wires is a small fat looking thing that resembles a glass enclosed fuse. It's a thermal safety cutoff. Make sure you have continuity thru it.

BTW, what lake are you on in that picture?
Norty I'm at Lake Keowee which is located about 8 miles from Clemson. Beautiful place
Old 05-12-2018, 06:45 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolinaboy828 View Post
Norty I'm at Lake Keowee which is located about 8 miles from Clemson. Beautiful place
It's on my list if it's the SP!
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 05-12-2018, 07:48 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
It's on my list if it's the SP!
This is actually county park. South Cove County Park, South Carolina
Old 05-14-2018, 10:07 AM   #17

I had this happen after I switched out my propane tank. as the instructions say, you are to open the tank slowly, so the safety valve doesn't snap shut. well, this new tank I got let the gas out much faster than my older one and it was making the safety valve snap shut, so I would get a flame for a 2 or 3 seconds, then it went out. this happened on my stove too. the guy at the propane place told me to barely open the tank and wait a minute, and let the lines fill, then open it the rest of the way. that worked, gas stayed on to everything.
just another possibility.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:42 AM   #18

water heater won't light

I am sure this is to late to help. I have had this problem in he past & I replaced the Flame Sensor for approx. $22. I would try this before investing in an expensive board!
mnaquaman is offline   Reply With Quote