Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko147 View Post
Do people leave their hot water tank full all season? I drain mine every time I'm done camping..... I also use the pressure relief valve (on the hot water heater) every time I refill to purge most of the air...
Just curious, reading through the comments leads me to believe I'm doing it wrong?
I can say from experience if you leave well water in the tank and do not use the trailer for a month or two you may have a smelly mess when you go to use it again. So I drain it if it will be sitting more then a few weeks.

Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:25 AM   #12
Site Team

There is no wrong or right because it depends on circumstances. I drain mine if I'm home for a month and the water at our last cg has a bearing on it. I drain it and bypass it in winter if we arte forecasted for below freezing.

Work out a system and it will work for you.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 10:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Do people leave their hot water tank full all season? I drain mine every time I'm done camping..... I also use the pressure relief valve (on the hot water heater) every time I refill to purge most of the air...
Just curious, reading through the comments leads me to believe I'm doing it wrong?
Nothing wrong with the way you're purging the air. It "exercises" the pressure relief valve, and you can check that it is indeed opening and closing without leaking. I open mine on the few occasions I have to drain the HWT. Electricians used to tell you to flip your breakers off and on to make sure they are working properly and not sticking, which could cause them to not fully trip and not shut the circuit down.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2006 F250 XLT Xtra Cab Long Bed 6.0 Diesel
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:34 AM   #14

This resurrected thread is three and a half years old. Did Rockypointers get water in their tank BEFORE they fired it up? I hope they'll let us know how things worked out.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:51 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
This resurrected thread is three and a half years old. Did Rockypointers get water in their tank BEFORE they fired it up? I hope they'll let us know how things worked out.
It got resurrected by accident. A new member posted a unrelated question here and that got moved, in the meantime others posted in the thread.
Crabman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 10:26 AM   #16

Quote:
I drain mine if we don't plan to go out for three weeks or more. If we are going back out in two weeks or less I often keep it full
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:28 AM   #17

Crabman, got it.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:37 AM   #18

Activating elec or gas heat to an empty tank can or will very quickly burn out the WHer. Or that is what I've been told. I typically unplug the large control plug outside on the waterheater unit when I winterize the system to prevent someone from turning on the Wher switch when the tank has been bypassed.

Is the above true and is there another way to prevent accidentially turning it on?
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 01:51 PM   #19

It's true. I speak from experience. Fortunately, I turned the electric on an empty WH and only lost the $10 or so element.

Yes, there is another way to prevent the problem. Follow a checklist. I use them for things that I don't do often enough to do correctly by habit and repetition. Like winterizing and dewinterizing. Or if life and limb is involved, like when I flew airplanes.
Old 03-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #20

Dewey02, that is a great picture and diagram of the plumbing system!!!thanks for posting it.

Swinepartner is offline   Reply With Quote