Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-01-2018, 02:59 PM   #1

Water pump

Hey there I have a Jayco RKS26 and I am having a hell of a time figuring out how to get my trailer to run off the fresh water tank.

I have filled the tank and turned the pump on and nothing works. I then messed around under the sink in the bathroom and turned somebody valves but I really don’t know what I’m doing.

The pump runs and there’s water being supplied to it, it’s just not coming out any taps.

I read a thread that said pull the T tabs up and I did that but now every time I turn my kitchen taps on water comes out the underside of my trailer at the 2 overflow tubes.

Please if you have any suggestions I would appreciate it!
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
ASmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum.

Is this a new trailer or used?

Those 2 tubes are not the overflow tubes. Those are the water lines and the T-handles are the low point drains. Since water flows from them with the pump running, then your pump is pumping.

Close the low point drains and turn on the pump. Now you should have water at all the taps - kitchen and bath. I am assuming you've checked every where and there is no water flowing under your trailer or anywhere on the floor!

If your water heater is empty, it will take a while for it to fill so open a hot water tap and wait. If it the faucet sputters or you hear air from it, the water heater is probably filling.

You could also pull off the aerators from the end of the faucets to be sure they aren't plugged.

There are a couple of other things to check if you still have a problem. Let us know.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:40 PM   #3

Check the water heater bypass too. My pump was sucking air through the antifreeze siphon.
Old 08-01-2018, 11:03 PM   #4

It is a used trailer. 2012.

I initially had the T handles closed and the water was not coming out of the taps. I did not have the water heater on though. Would that have any effect?

I’ve only used the trailer while it has been hooked up to city water so maybe I’m missing a step to switch it over to my fresh water tank?

Thanks for the quick reply!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:19 PM   #5

Hard to tell from that photo but it looks like the valves on the suction side of the pump are both open. Only the one going down to the fresh water tank should be open, the other, for sucking RV antifreeze into the lines, should be closed.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:21 PM   #6

Alright, thanks for the help!
Old 08-02-2018, 03:10 AM   #7

AS,

I’m going to ask a really “stoopid” question here, but no insult intended.

In your first post you said you’ve had no water when the pump was running. In your second post you said you’ve only been using city water.

In most cases hooking your rig to city water does not fill your fresh water tanks. There is a separate fill point for that.

If your fresh water tank is empty, there is nothing for the pump to pump, since city water does not use the pump.

Let us know, ok?

All best.

John from Central Florida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:31 AM   #8

Let me clarify. Up until now I have only been using city water hookups. I’m setting up to go off the grid camping for the first time. I filled my freshwater tank and fired up my pump and nothing comes out of the taps.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:02 AM   #9

You need to close the valve that is on the clear flexible hose. That hose is sucking air. It is used to draw antifreeze in to the system to winterize.
doghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 06:42 AM   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
Let the pump first suck water trough the antifreeze suction hose (all valves in correct position) out a small bucket of water. Once it is primed it should work set valves to tank suction position and it should work.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 11:47 AM   #11

Hey, just tried all those options and nothing...there is no suction through the antifreeze line as well.
Old 08-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #12

Next check would be the sediment screen. It is between those two valves and the pump itself. You unscrew a small "canister" and there is a screen inside there. Take that little screen and the "canister" inside and rinse it thoroughly. It takes VERY little sediment to block that screen. On mine, I could only feel it with my fingers, I couldn't really see most of it. Anyway, clean it really well, reinstall, make sure that the valve on the clear hose is perpendicular to the direction of the hose, and the other valve is parallel to the direction of the hose, and give it another shot.

BTW, you want to ensure that those T-Valves are closed (pushed down) so you don't just pump water out onto the ground.

Also, you might want to remove the screens from your faucets and clean them as well, just in case.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:16 AM   #13

Unfortunately none of these ideas could make it work. I think I will have to disconnect the pump and check everything out. I don’t really know where it could be going wrong though since when I open the T valves the water flow out the bottom...
Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 AM   #14

and the water heater by-pass valves are all in the correct position?

although, if it works on city water, they are probably in the correct position.

good luck!
Old 08-23-2018, 07:57 PM   #15

Is the pump ever running?
I can open low point drains with no pressure and water will come out.
Kidd280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 08:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd280 View Post
Is the pump ever running?
I can open low point drains with no pressure and water will come out.
Key question, is pump running? If it is turned on and there is no pressure in the line from the pump to the sink faucet or any other point in the TT, there is likely something wrong with the pump. When you turn on the pump it should run for a brief period of time as the pump pressurizes the system. When it is pressurized it will shut off. It could be that the demand switch internal to the pump is bad. Don't think that is a difficult fix, but you can replace the whole pump assembly for $100 or so which might be the way to go since this hasn't been used for a while. If its just the demand switch, you can replace it and you will have a back up pump.

If pump is not running, is it getting 12V power? Check at the leads. If no power and the pump is ON at the switch, check the fuse on that circuit. No power no pump.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:24 PM   #17

Did you ever find a diagram or blueprint for plumbing? I'm having trouble trying to put my plumbing myself and haven't found anything. Please help if you did! Thanks
PARTYman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2023, 06:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Is this a new trailer or used?

Those 2 tubes are not the overflow tubes. Those are the water lines and the T-handles are the low point drains. Since water flows from them with the pump running, then your pump is pumping.

Close the low point drains and turn on the pump. Now you should have water at all the taps - kitchen and bath. I am assuming you've checked every where and there is no water flowing under your trailer or anywhere on the floor!

If your water heater is empty, it will take a while for it to fill so open a hot water tap and wait. If it the faucet sputters or you hear air from it, the water heater is probably filling.

You could also pull off the aerators from the end of the faucets to be sure they aren't plugged.

There are a couple of other things to check if you still have a problem. Let us know.
X2
Your pump will run for several minutes to fill the hot water tank

2021 GMC half ton T/V
2022 Jayfeather 25RB
Anderson WDH
Markb5900 is offline   Reply With Quote