Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-14-2015, 04:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbailey View Post
Todd, that's basically my list too. However, I have learned the hard way... Auxiliary tanks that are brought into the cabin can and do leak.
My tanks aren't inside the cabin. They are still outside under the frame. They are, however, contained within the Thermal Package insulation and thin layer of steel beneath it.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:51 PM   #12

How cold do you expect to see, and for how long? That probably the most critical question. Next question will it warm up above freezing during the day.

The reason I ask is in northern Minnesota winter verses say a Georgia winter, are way different in how to prepare.

Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #13

I will not stay in any place where it stays below freezing all day long. If winter hits Montana early, I will make a mad dash south. November and December the plan is to work/travel from northern Montana to southern Montana, Utah, eastern Nevada, Death Valley, and some of the higher elevations in northern Arizona, southern Utah, and New Mexico. But given weather history I expect mid 40s to high 30s during much of my trip and nothing lower than 20 degrees during the night.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #14

I missed your post earlier about the temps. We camp every fall in those temps without doing much. We have an open underbelly, and all water lines run inside the unit, in the walls.

Fill your FW tank, and use from it, don't drain your water tanks. 20 degrees is not very cold, unless it stays sustained. Having the tanks fuller, has a lot of thermal mass. If it freezes it will be from the top down. And will take a lot of time. The tanks are large so the potential thin ice expansion is not an issue. If you drain the tanks, your more likely to freeze the gate valves.

If your pipe run inside the unit, leave cabinet doors ajar so heat can get inside incase you have any cool areas such as pipes that run behind the shower. Run your furnace and the ducted heat will help with the tanks.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:18 PM   #15

Water Storage in Winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Klassy View Post
My tanks aren't inside the cabin. They are still outside under the frame. They are, however, contained within the Thermal Package insulation and thin layer of steel beneath it.

Yeah... I mis read the first post. I thought I read "my portable tank and hose is under the couch..."

Sorry.

But seriously, don't bring water into the coach... Don't ask me how I know this.
2007 Chevy 2500HD Crew 4x4 Z71
ctbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 04:22 PM   #16

Looking at getting a low temperature alarm, too, to notify me when the outside hits 32 degrees.