Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-07-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

What brands/models would you suggest ...

I'm looking for some recommendations to a couple items I am looking to get for our new (ordered) Flight 28BHBE.

First up is rear view cameras. I'd like to go with wireless options as I don't really want to deal with wiring up everything. I know there can be signal loss at times, but looking for the ease of it all. I found an article on campaddict.com that has two recommended setups. Wondering if anyone has either of these and how well they work. The article talks about metal sided campers having difficulties, since my camper is sided am looking for insights you personally have.

Second is surge protectors. I read the thread about either portable or hard wired. I'm looking for portable for now. At some point I will install a hardwired unit, just won't have time from when it will be delivered to us and our planned camping trips. What portable brands do you recommend? What are the pros/cons of it?

Thanks everyone!

Happy Camping!!
Yakpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #2

My favorite brand of back up camera is called the WTW, otherwise known as the WalkieTalkieWife. Works great most of the time.

As far as surge protectors go, I opted for the hardwired unit. One less thing to deal with when setting up, can't be stolen, easy view inside the trailer as to what's going on. Look at Progressive Industries.

Cons are more expensive, stays with the trailer if you sell it, takes some time to install including cutting your power cord to splice it in. It's not difficult though.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:30 PM   #3

Progressive is the only way to go weather its hardwired or portable.
To me a camera was a waste of time and money, I have a 13yo with a cell phone to be my eyes where I can't see, put the phone on speaker sitting on the dash and back up slow, works for me.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:54 PM   #4

I have a DW that cannot keep her left from right straight, so.....
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:28 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I have a DW that cannot keep her left from right straight, so.....
My son was the same way but I corrected that real fast. Now he stands behind facing the trailer and his left and right are the same as mine since we both are facing forward. Most of the time he doesn't even have to say anything.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:31 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to jaycojay Send a message via MSN to jaycojay
..... and i thought it was just my wife! Oh heck, my brother-in-law and my younger brother are just as bad!
Old 02-08-2018, 10:45 PM   #7

We have a Yuwei 7” screen with wireless camera on the rear of our Hummingbird. No interference issues at all. Purchased it after my neighbor swore by one after his cross-country trip with his Jayco White Hawk. It was about $200 on Amazon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2018, 11:38 PM   #8

I bought a Surge Guard which is manufactured by Southwire. It works as advertised and has saved me from bad wiring in campground shore power. For a rear view observation, I went with a wireless system from Rear View Safety (rearviewsafety.com) for our 42' FW. I had issues with loss of signal when moving at highway speed. They sent a high boost antenna for the camera and a high boost antenna for the monitor at no charge to correct the problem.
RVing all my life......1st Jayco
ETCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote