Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-18-2018, 02:04 PM   #21

Folks, I have the opposite problem... I want bigger and the DW is the spendthrift in the house....

Standby, with luck, a new to us Greyhawk will find a new home. the

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerIsMe View Post
We have a perfectly adequate Jay Feather, and by "perfectly adequate" I mean "I wish it had a little more room". On our last trip out I made the mistake of turning to the Little Missus and saying "you know, I wish we had a little more room". Once those words are out my friends, you can't put them back in.

So skip forward and we had settled on a Jay Flight 28BHS, having gone all the way through the dealer negotiation process. Yesterday we went down to the dealer to put down a deposit - we're ordering to get what we want - and my wife says she just wants to "take a look around". I don't know if any of you know how that goes, but the nice 7000 lb., 33' 28BHS suddenly became an 8500 lb., 36' 32BHDS and away we went!

Skipping forward again to last night and she discovered the White Hawk 31BH. It's a few hundred pounds lighter than the Jay Flight 32BHDS, but that money It's pricier than the similar floorplan of the Eagle HT 295DBOK. What kind of hoodoo is that?

I know we don't see much from White Hawkers on here - can anyone tell me why they're so expensive? And are they nice trailers?

Tom
PapiG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #22

White Hawk 31BH

Hello there, my wife and I have the 31BH and yes they are a little bit pricey, but well worth it in my opinion! The grey tank for the bathroom is a little small, but nothing you can’t manage! We love ours and have been living in it since mid July and traveling Colorado. You will enjoy it I can promise you that and the money will speak for itself. Good luck and enjoy!

Ryan
K9fred4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #23

We have a 16 WH DSRL with about 13k miles on it over 2 1/2 yers towing it all over the western US and Canada. The trailer had held up well so far (knock on wood) with some minor cosmetic issues fixed under warranty or by me. It has 48 gal fresh and 33 gal grey and black tanks. We do quite a bit of boondocking and have 480w of solar on the roof. I just replaced the OEM China load C tires with Goodyear Endurance load D tires.

Eventually we plan on upgrading to a 5er, but for now this trailer works for just the 2 of us and I have no problem towing with our 13 F150 Eco daily driver.
CaptRon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon53 View Post
We have a 16 WH DSRL with about 13k miles on it over 2 1/2 yers towing it all over the western US and Canada. The trailer had held up well so far (knock on wood) with some minor cosmetic issues fixed under warranty or by me. It has 48 gal fresh and 33 gal grey and black tanks. We do quite a bit of boondocking and have 480w of solar on the roof. I just replaced the OEM China load C tires with Goodyear Endurance load D tires.

Eventually we plan on upgrading to a 5er, but for now this trailer works for just the 2 of us and I have no problem towing with our 13 F150 Eco daily driver.

CaptRon, I have the exact same trailer and was considering replacing my tires with Endurance load D. I have read that rims are rated for certain load capacities and was not sure if my standard rims are rated for D load tires because of the additional air pressure required. Are you still using the OEM rims with the load D tires? Any issues with them?
Cindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 04:53 PM   #25

White Hawk 32DSBH

We traded in our pop up for our WH, not much room in the pop up when you have 2 kids & 2 greyhounds. The WH was pretty much at my weight limit for my suburban 2500. We’ve averaged around 2000 mi yr. No major issues, just minor issues that we took care of ourselves, like awning pulling away from the wall, defective propane connector, slam hatches that needed the striker plate shimmed and the many screws we found after our first few trips lol. We’ve done a few mods along the way and finally replaced our trailer tires with Goodyear Endurance 225-75R15 E rated tires. The China bombs still looked good but I didn’t want my luck to run out. Only thing I wished I would’ve ordered was the second AC. We are down in Ocean Lakes CG Myrtle Beach, SC right now and the single 15k AC is holding its own with 5 occupants on board +1 greyhound (RIP Jack O Lantern). Also our floor is the wood/foam/wood floor, no problems yet though I cringe when my 16yo jumps out of his upper bunk lol. Overall were happy with our White Hawk
Future Projects : Kitchen faucet w pulldown sprayer DONE , bathroom faucet and shower head DONE, dimmer for awning lights DONE, Clear door window kit DONE, internal&external fridge fans DONE
denn888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 05:52 PM   #26

As the Original Poster, or "OP", I just wanted to update a bit.

After the initial shock of the MSRP I realized the White Hawk 31BH is not really all that outrageous. I mean, we're only here for a short time so why hoard? What's got me concerned though is the weight.

If anyone takes the time to read through any of my past posts you'll see I'm very much weight-phobic. I'd much prefer to tow light than heavy for my own peace of mind. The 31BH is going to end up somewhere around 8300 lbs. dry, close to 9000 going down the road. That makes me nervous up here in the hills. My truck is an f350 but it's a gasser, and without actually pulling it I would guess it would be painful at times. Some of my fellow JOF's told me "diesel", and if I had any idea at all my wife would be looking to a 9000 lb. trailer I would have followed their advice. But I didn't, and I didn't.

So here I am, avoiding the subject right now and hoping she'll cool off from the big boy and think smaller - back to the 28BHS class. She won't though.

You know my friends, I really do need to learn to shut my mouth.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 07:12 PM   #27
bap

You have plenty of truck for that trailer and the 6.2L has plenty of power. If you were looking at a 15,000 pound trailer it would be different but at 9,000 a 350 is way more truck than you actually need so you have plenty of comfort margin.
Old 08-18-2018, 08:27 PM   #28

From everything I’ve read the OEM 14 inch rims on the 27dsrl are rated to 65 psi and that is the max psi for the Endurance tire. I think it is a worthwhile upgrade.
CaptRon53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 05:41 AM   #29

Good morning, sorry to be so late to the party.
We now have a WH 33RSKS and all of the above rings so true. Do not let your wife "wander" or "just stop to look a little"! 22 ft to 26 ft to 33 ft. All in 10 months.
This is our third TT and is by far the heaviest, best built and easiest to haul. Yes, it is fairly heavy (and Jayco has no clue on weight). The stickers on the trailer and documentation supplied did not agree within even 500#. But the wide-track axles make it a gem to tow.
Also, when I had tire problems, an axle repair facility explained the quality of tire issue to us. Very grateful to them. We now run the Endurance LR D at 80 PSI on the original aluminum rims with no problems what-so-ever.
We run thru the CAT scales once a year or so just to keep my peace of mind and we are usually right around 15.6 - 15.8k fully loaded.
Our Tundra handles this easily and we have pulled all over the mid-west and east coast happily.
Just sorry that Jayco stopped making the longer TT WH with an outside kitchen and no BH.
NHstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 07:30 AM   #30

I upgraded to the Carlisle tires in load range D. This has been very good. The Goodyears seem to be building a good reputation, too. That upgrade was about a year and 8K miles ago. Best of luck with your choice...
Old 08-19-2018, 08:16 AM   #31

As a late responder to this, we have great pleasure in camping in our WH 23MRB. Pulled it to the northwest from the Houston area last year and found it to fit our life style. The murphy bed to couch feature is what we like the best. It gives us plenty of room when relaxing inside and we are not pulling a bedroom down the highway. I have had one issue though, with the rear axle and the right rear tire bending out and wearing out the inside tread. Replaced the axle under warranty and all is good now. Also replaced the cheap Rainer ST tires with Goodyear Endurance. Just in the short time I've had them, it has proven to be a good move.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:08 AM   #32

We have a 2015 Whitehawk, 28BHKS. It's been problem free since purchasing new. Good layout for us. The only peeve is the lack of overhead vents in the front berth and main living area. It has traveled throughout NY's Adirondacks, Maine's Acadia NP and to South Carolina. 6600 pounds, towed with a 2018 F250 (formerly with a 2012 F350). Tows like a dream.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_1ee7.jpg  
jwhogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 10:19 AM   #33

Going back to the earlier posts, we were in Traverse City, MI in early June and found the shower door handles laying in the tub of our Sunset Trail. We just happened into a Jayco dealer looking for repair parts. I am in parts and DW is walking the lot. The seed was planted. Three weeks ago she wanted to just drive by the house local dealer. Well, we all know what happens. She like the WH26rk and starts talking. It had power stabilizers, theate4 seats, fire place, 50 amp service and we bought it. After 8 days in Door County it is the perfect couples camper. Tows well, plenty of room. The only negative was the rock hard mattress. Solved that problem with a Costco form topper. As they say “Happy wife....”. A good move on our part.
Tow Vehicle 2013 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Limited
Cubfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:29 AM   #34

We just got a brand new 2019 White Hawk 26RK, and it has been great...only one problem so far with the water heater not being wired properly on the electric side. The overall feel and construction of the White Hawk is better than any of the hundreds of other models from all brands that my wife and I looked at.

When you get away from the shock of the MSRP and beat a real number out of dealers the price seemed pretty reasonable to me given the improved materials and construction.

venoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:35 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan View Post
Going back to the earlier posts, we were in Traverse City, MI in early June and found the shower door handles laying in the tub of our Sunset Trail. We just happened into a Jayco dealer looking for repair parts. I am in parts and DW is walking the lot. The seed was planted. Three weeks ago she wanted to just drive by the house local dealer. Well, we all know what happens. She like the WH26rk and starts talking. It had power stabilizers, theate4 seats, fire place, 50 amp service and we bought it. After 8 days in Door County it is the perfect couples camper. Tows well, plenty of room. The only negative was the rock hard mattress. Solved that problem with a Costco form topper. As they say “Happy wife....”. A good move on our part.
Exact same for my wife and I, except 30amp service and a tri-fold couch. The Costco mattress topper is amazing, we had one in our old trailer too.

venoran is offline   Reply With Quote