Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-29-2020, 05:10 PM   #41

Never tow with full tanks. My set up is right at the edge of my comfort limit on tongue weight and cargo on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. We generally camp at locations with full hookups and when we camp at state parks we fill up at the park. I would also be concerned about the weight on the straps with the dynamic forces associated with towing. Might be fine but as an engineer I just don’t trust them.
Centerline WDH
Hazman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #42

like others around 20 gal for use... unless planning on going someplace that has no water at all... then of course fill it up but try to find a place closer to the location to fill it up.. sometimes that is at a state park... My tank is 101 gal.. that is allot of water!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #43

If I go to a boondocking campground which is 30 minutes away, I'll fill my 88 gallon tank at home. (Camp here about 5-6 times a year)
I have gone to Assateague State Park which is 4 hours away but filled my 88 gallon tank at home. Didn't have any issues.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:56 PM   #44

Twice we have arrived at RV parks with minimal water in the tank only to find their water was contaminated with e-coli, or the second time the water coming out of the faucet was rusty looking and smelled pretty bad. Ever since then we travel with our FW tank full because you never know what’s on the other end of the road.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #45

We do it a lot. Most of the time we boondock or go to State Parks with electric only. If it is a busy weekend I will fill all 80 gallons at home so I can just pull in and get to camping even if they have a filling station. Never any problems. Our last trailer was smaller and we towed with a F150. That thing towed so much better with a full tank of water.

2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.4L
TonyCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:57 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNashville View Post
Never. We always fill up our fresh tank[s] at the destination. I have heard too many horror stories about full tanks falling out on the road because support straps have broken. Our Eagle carries 90 gallons including the water heater. The only traveling with full tanks for me is from the campsite to the dump station to empty the black/grey tanks.
Were heading out to moab to boondock. This is my only concern. I dont mind the weight on the truck or mpge. I just dont want to damage my RV or leave a tank on the road!!

we have 75 gal fresh tank. I'd rather tow with full water tank so I dont have to search water out. 2020 Jayco northpoint 375bhfs. I hope they built it to handle the 700lbs in the tank bouncing for a few hours!!
Townsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
Jay

Well, you must have better then half your cross country trip behind you by now

I avoid towing with a full fresh water tank whenever possible. My WDH is dialed-in based on empty tanks, and my fresh water tank is located at the rear of my TT so when filled it compromises my desired tongue weight.

Bob
I imagine he's been across the country several times now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
Twice we have arrived at RV parks with minimal water in the tank only to find their water was contaminated with e-coli, or the second time the water coming out of the faucet was rusty looking and smelled pretty bad. Ever since then we travel with our FW tank full because you never know what’s on the other end of the road.
This happened to me on our initial trial trip, our "full hookup" site had Arsenic something they forgot to mention until we got there. Luckily I brought water, a lot of people were still hooking up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend View Post
Were heading out to moab to boondock. This is my only concern. I dont mind the weight on the truck or mpge. I just dont want to damage my RV or leave a tank on the road!!

we have 75 gal fresh tank. I'd rather tow with full water tank so I dont have to search water out. 2020 Jayco northpoint 375bhfs. I hope they built it to handle the 700lbs in the tank bouncing for a few hours!!
I have 80 gallons of fresh we just started fulltiming but most of the time we have full tanks when traveling and we've been 2000 miles. Some of our camp sites were on really rough roads. Just take it slow.

As far as cost goes I did the math with some rounding and my first 260 mile trip equaled out to an additional 2 gallons of fuel. Since we boondock not hauling water is not an option. We also don't drink it, after our first site having arsenic we just don't trust them. We still use a camco filter and use it for dishes and showers.
m2bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 06:26 AM   #48

All the time, I never worry about full tanks, no issues after 11 years

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:43 AM   #49

Always full, 80 gallons fresh and never had a problem. Better full than partially full so you minimize sloshing weight transfer back and forth/side to side.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote