Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2017, 08:29 PM   #1

Battery question sorry for all the questions

So I opened up the battery box and to my surprise there was no battery. There was however two wheel choks and the missing light cover but I also noticed there was a black ground wire, a white ground wire and a large red wire going to the back. 1st question is this correct wiring? 2nd question could I shorten the red wire and move the battery inside the camper next to the converter? I have access to big batteries and I would like to put two inside the camper and eventually use solar to power the heater fan and other auxiliary devices. As usual thank you for all the help.
01qwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
Site Team

Is this a new TT? The standard is....White wire is GROUND (should go to the frame), BLACK is POSITIVE. The RED, I would think it may be the main 12VDC source for the TT, but I would recommend tracing it out first, just to be sure.

Only AGM batteries and (LiFePO4 $$$$$$$$$$$) can be SAFELY installed inside the TT without venting, flooded batteries have to be in a sealed box and vented (to the outside) box.

Check out our RVing with SOLAR social group here on the forum. A lot of good reading here.

My Registry

Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 08:48 PM   #3

Black probably goes to the break away switch for the brakes.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:39 PM   #4

As far as I know I had no brakes on my camper. It is a pop up as well. I will crawl under and trace the wires. And yes these batteries Are sealed AGM batteries
01qwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:57 AM   #5

Per the 2001 Qwest owners manual Red - Positive / White = Negative.
That year did have an electric brake option. If it's there, there black may be for the brakes. You'll know if you have it if there is a small black box on the tongue with a plunger attached to a cable with a loop on the opposite end. This is the break-away switch that applies the brakes if the trailer separates from the TV.
bwalton is offline   Reply With Quote