Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-02-2021, 07:33 AM   #1

Is this corrosion a deal breaker?

Looking at an ‘09 1007. Everything looks great except for blisters of corrosion in the first foot or two of each side of the camper. I’ve read this could be from moisture and there is a cap of sorts on each front corner that is compromised and could be possible source of water getting in. They’d been sealed with something or other. I dug one out and the wood behind did not seem to be compromised. Like I said, the rest of it is in very good shape and if whats going on here can be stopped / sealed/ patched, what’s the best material and approach? Or should I pass?
Attached Thumbnails
7A67DD3C-F51C-4D72-A616-98445C0FB091.jpg   2CFF07ED-DD6B-4C8D-B694-FA2A3E89264E.jpg   2FA4EDA1-4E68-4228-A223-E5D9D713EFE2.jpg   31351C99-08C1-4545-AB3A-C2ED53E83A33.jpg  
mcafee44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 08:00 AM   #2

Most times, when water intrusion happens up high, it affects the lower area because that's where water will eventually settle. Look low in those areas and make sure there's no soft wood. You can buy a cheap moisture meter to detect water.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:07 AM   #3

Welcome Aboard!

What makes me most concerned is the open gaps in the caulking. This will allow water in, causing rot and mold. If you are very serious about this PU, I would inspect the inside corners very closely for rot. Open up any access panels and look and poke at the wood and floor. My tool of choice is an awl (ice pick), next would be slotted screw driver, but the PU owner may not like that. But pulling out your key ring and using the largest key (the owner my not even consider objecting to). Push on the wood/flooring/paneling with the tip of the large key will give you an indication of the condition. Make sure to check the floor in those areas too, you can also look from the underside of the PU too. Make sure to have a good flashlight with you.

I do not know what product Jayco used as siding on PUs of that era, my brother has it on his TT, and I have done a lot of work on it over the years (he does no maintenance on anything). From what I can tell the walls do not delaminate like a modern fiberglass TT. It is like a heavy plastic shower wall/back splash like material. From the images I struggle to determine what the siding issue(s) are. My first thought, it is from a something leaning or rubbing against the siding for a long time. But the marks are not consistent with wind flapping a tarp.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 09:24 AM   #4

They are definitely blisters of corrosion in the outer skin. Most have been filled with caulk is what makes them hard to discern. The ‘brown’ one in the middle of the sticker is where I pretty much dug one out to expose the wood. Something was between the aluminum skin and the wood. Maybe foam of some kind. There are more beneath the decorative decals close to the bottom of each side. It’s mostly cosmetic I hope. I’ll get in the storage compartment and look closer next time.
mcafee44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 01:51 PM   #5

if you are set on it then in all honesty you should pay the price with the assumption that there is water intrusion and rot/mold inside and are you willing to fix it or just use it till it fails..

so if the "value" is $3k then I wouldn't pay more than $1.5k 1/2 the value of whatever the asking price is.. or walk and wait till you find something else.

It has water damage somewhere how deep how bad you don't know so you have to assume the worst...
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:56 PM   #6

Pass on it. There's a million pop ups out there that dont have problems. Why go looking for trouble?
adwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
corrosion, sealant