Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-20-2023, 10:59 AM   #1

Jayco 1999 Heritage Lift system repair

Hi all, just picked up a project last weekend. Pretty decent condition 99 Heritage Jayco. Has a shower, toilet, and AC. No tears in the canvas. Picked it up for $700 which I think is a steal. Im going to remodel the whole thing including a sweet paint job and new decals. Only problem was it wasn't lifting from the back. So tore it apart and like many others the lifting channels were pretty badly bent. Instead of buying some new ones I opted to fabricate my own with thicker grade steel. I used 1" 14gauge steel square tubing. I used the old pulleys and brackets. Welded it up and painted as well. Also of note the old stock tubes wasn't even lined up properly with the channel guide going into the lifter. It was off by 1/2 inch lol. Lined everything up and lubed the heck out of it. Pretty simple and worthwhile project. All in all $20 in materials. Much stronger than stock as the factory used 16 gauge steel which felt like sheet metal. It popped up fine however disaster struck and the one of the stages of back lifters popped out lol. Luckily nothing was bent. The hard part was finding how to take out the lifter as all the videos I saw online showing the set screw either at the base or near the top of the lifter under the top cap, it was neither. You have to take out the bumper to access it. Anyway the plastic insert sleeve which acts as a stopper slipped off. I was able to retrieve it, and put it back on the tab, I also applied some epoxy as well to make sure it'll never slip off again. Very sturdy now. Put lifter back on and now it works like butter. Anyway just wanted to provide info for others so they don't go through the hassle of trying to find it. Working well now so just need to put everything together and start the remodel.
alzeal1018 is offline   Reply With Quote