Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #11

New Pop Up Owner

I was under the impression that the breakaway box required power from the batteryClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412118508.326026.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	15423

Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
I was under the impression that the breakaway box required power from the batteryAttachment 15423
it does but unless the GVWR is over 3000lbs a break away is not required

edit; the attachment you posted only talks about the TV battery not the trailer battery

nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #13

Back to the OP's original question. You should buy a battery box, but you don't need to drill holes to attach it. You can use a nylon strap to hold it down to the angle iron. Probably comes with the box. That's the way I did it on my PUP and still do it that way on my 25 footer with dual batteries.
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #14

OOPS. Thought the pic was from the OP.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #15

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412124054.545721.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	15425meant to post this.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #16

The distinction is the difference between electric and hydraulic ("surge") brakes. Electric brake breakaways require a battery, hydraulic systems are mechanical. The original poster doesn't say which he has, but I assume hydraulic due to the size and the fact that it didn't come with a battery to start.

And to whomever said skip the battery: how would you use the camper lights while boondocking!?
Old 10-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chapter View Post
The distinction is the difference between electric and hydraulic ("surge") brakes. Electric brake breakaways require a battery, hydraulic systems are mechanical. The original poster doesn't say which he has, but I assume hydraulic due to the size and the fact that it didn't come with a battery to start.

And to whomever said skip the battery: how would you use the camper lights while boondocking!?
you are talking about 2 different systems. Brakes- to stop the trailer come in electric and hydraulic. Hydraulic are for boat trailers primarily because of the water. Electric brakes do not use an on board battery. They get their power solely from the tow vehicle.

the other system is the break-away switch to activate the brakes. This does require an on board battery because the premise of it is that you are disconnected from the TV.

Her Pup I believe does not require a break -away by law because of the weight. Likely why the dealer didn't install a battery.(maybe the OP can come back on to confirm).

If she doesn't have a break-away I would either not install a battery at all or install a true deep cycle for boondocking not a standard battery which I assume she bought
Old 10-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynem View Post
Back to the OP's original question. You should buy a battery box, but you don't need to drill holes to attach it. You can use a nylon strap to hold it down to the angle iron. Probably comes with the box. That's the way I did it on my PUP and still do it that way on my 25 footer with dual batteries.
My first battery strap lasted about a year before it disintegrated. This was a hybrid that was stored exposed to the elements tho. I'd want it bolted down. I also drilled a couple of holes in the box to drain the rainwater that got in through the vent holes.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
you are talking about 2 different systems. Brakes- to stop the trailer come in electric and hydraulic. Hydraulic are for boat trailers primarily because of the water. Electric brakes do not use an on board battery. They get their power solely from the tow vehicle.

the other system is the break-away switch to activate the brakes. This does require an on board battery because the premise of it is that you are disconnected from the TV.

Her Pup I believe does not require a break -away by law because of the weight. Likely why the dealer didn't install a battery.(maybe the OP can come back on to confirm).

If she doesn't have a break-away I would either not install a battery at all or install a true deep cycle for boondocking not a standard battery which I assume she bought
lots of info here, but a few things i can tell you: the regular brakes, and the breakaway brakes, use two different actuation systems. electric brakes require a battery to activate the breakaway, because, as you say the assumption is that the trailer is not connected to the TV.

hydraulic breakaway systems (mine at least) do not require a battery. there is a master cylinder in the tongue that is normally activated by the weight of the trailer. in the case of a breakaway, the breakaway cable activates the brakes by pulling (compressing) the master cylinder. my hydraulic system does not require a battery.

i don't know the specs of the original trailer in question, but to assume that because it has no battery it has no breakaway system is incorrect. in fact, if it is hydraulic brakes, she likely has a mechanical breakaway system as i've described.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chapter View Post
i don't know the specs of the original trailer in question, but to assume that because it has no battery it has no breakaway system is incorrect. in fact, if it is hydraulic brakes, she likely has a mechanical breakaway system as i've described.
camper trailers do not use hydraulic systems anymore...they are 100percent electric