Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
emjayuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 260
New Pop Up Owner

I was under the impression that the breakaway box required power from the batteryClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412118508.326026.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	15423
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Sport
Ontario, Canada
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by emjayuu View Post
I was under the impression that the breakaway box required power from the batteryAttachment 15423
it does but unless the GVWR is over 3000lbs a break away is not required

edit; the attachment you posted only talks about the TV battery not the trailer battery
__________________

nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 06:59 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 91
Back to the OP's original question. You should buy a battery box, but you don't need to drill holes to attach it. You can use a nylon strap to hold it down to the angle iron. Probably comes with the box. That's the way I did it on my PUP and still do it that way on my 25 footer with dual batteries.
waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:15 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Grumpy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Where ever the boss says we're going.
Posts: 5,048
OOPS. Thought the pic was from the OP.
__________________
DISNEY LOVERS
PINNACLE 2015 38FLSA. aka: "Roam Sweet Home"
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 07:41 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
emjayuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 260
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412124054.545721.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	15425meant to post this.
__________________
2013 Jayco Sport
Ontario, Canada
emjayuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Posts: 68
The distinction is the difference between electric and hydraulic ("surge") brakes. Electric brake breakaways require a battery, hydraulic systems are mechanical. The original poster doesn't say which he has, but I assume hydraulic due to the size and the fact that it didn't come with a battery to start.

And to whomever said skip the battery: how would you use the camper lights while boondocking!?
__________________
1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 5 spd
2002 Eagle Summit 12
Matt Chapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:16 AM   #17
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chapter View Post
The distinction is the difference between electric and hydraulic ("surge") brakes. Electric brake breakaways require a battery, hydraulic systems are mechanical. The original poster doesn't say which he has, but I assume hydraulic due to the size and the fact that it didn't come with a battery to start.

And to whomever said skip the battery: how would you use the camper lights while boondocking!?
you are talking about 2 different systems. Brakes- to stop the trailer come in electric and hydraulic. Hydraulic are for boat trailers primarily because of the water. Electric brakes do not use an on board battery. They get their power solely from the tow vehicle.

the other system is the break-away switch to activate the brakes. This does require an on board battery because the premise of it is that you are disconnected from the TV.

Her Pup I believe does not require a break -away by law because of the weight. Likely why the dealer didn't install a battery.(maybe the OP can come back on to confirm).

If she doesn't have a break-away I would either not install a battery at all or install a true deep cycle for boondocking not a standard battery which I assume she bought
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 11:30 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Missouri City, The Republic of Texas
Posts: 3,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynem View Post
Back to the OP's original question. You should buy a battery box, but you don't need to drill holes to attach it. You can use a nylon strap to hold it down to the angle iron. Probably comes with the box. That's the way I did it on my PUP and still do it that way on my 25 footer with dual batteries.
My first battery strap lasted about a year before it disintegrated. This was a hybrid that was stored exposed to the elements tho. I'd want it bolted down. I also drilled a couple of holes in the box to drain the rainwater that got in through the vent holes.
__________________
Cheers,
T_

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 08:52 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Austin
Posts: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post
you are talking about 2 different systems. Brakes- to stop the trailer come in electric and hydraulic. Hydraulic are for boat trailers primarily because of the water. Electric brakes do not use an on board battery. They get their power solely from the tow vehicle.

the other system is the break-away switch to activate the brakes. This does require an on board battery because the premise of it is that you are disconnected from the TV.

Her Pup I believe does not require a break -away by law because of the weight. Likely why the dealer didn't install a battery.(maybe the OP can come back on to confirm).

If she doesn't have a break-away I would either not install a battery at all or install a true deep cycle for boondocking not a standard battery which I assume she bought
lots of info here, but a few things i can tell you: the regular brakes, and the breakaway brakes, use two different actuation systems. electric brakes require a battery to activate the breakaway, because, as you say the assumption is that the trailer is not connected to the TV.

hydraulic breakaway systems (mine at least) do not require a battery. there is a master cylinder in the tongue that is normally activated by the weight of the trailer. in the case of a breakaway, the breakaway cable activates the brakes by pulling (compressing) the master cylinder. my hydraulic system does not require a battery.

i don't know the specs of the original trailer in question, but to assume that because it has no battery it has no breakaway system is incorrect. in fact, if it is hydraulic brakes, she likely has a mechanical breakaway system as i've described.
__________________
1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD 5 spd
2002 Eagle Summit 12
Matt Chapter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2014, 09:00 AM   #20
Lost in the Woods
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Woodstock
Posts: 1,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Chapter View Post
i don't know the specs of the original trailer in question, but to assume that because it has no battery it has no breakaway system is incorrect. in fact, if it is hydraulic brakes, she likely has a mechanical breakaway system as i've described.
camper trailers do not use hydraulic systems anymore...they are 100percent electric
__________________

nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.