Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2015, 06:57 AM   #1

Pop-up roof construction?

Hi,

Just started as an official member. We have a 2000 Jayco 12SO Eagle model, and I have a question about the roof construction. I am in the process of converting it over to use LED lights to extend the battery life when we are camping without an electric hookup (which is most of the time). I swapped out the original bulbs in the existing fixtures with equivalent ones from a company called M4Products (very happy with the new bulbs).

Now the reason for my question. I am also looking at installing two 20" "goose-neck" LED reading lights above the U-shaped eating area next to the king-sized bed; typically where my wife and I settle in to read later in the evening. That way they could either illuminate the couch area or flex them over the bed area for reading there. I had already screwed in a small u-bolt type hanger into the ceiling, and was a little surprised that the screws I used (2 1" course-thread drywall screws) didn't seem to "bite" into the roof as mush as I would have expected. I always thought that the roof was a basically a sandwich of aluminum sheets with 1/2 to 3/4" plywood in the middle, and I would have expected the plywood to serve as a good substrate for a screw. Now I am wondering if what I thought was plywood is really more like dense insulation material in some form of wooden frame?

There are other things screwed into the ceiling, like the other light fixtures, and the other small u-hooks for hanging the three small "wardrobe units" that came with the pop-up, so I assumed there was something of substance up there?

Maybe I should consider using some combination of screws and construction adhesive to mount6 a small wood base, and then screw the light fixtures to that? I am interested in any comments or suggestions. Thanks in advance!
tlindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:41 AM   #2

You may want to contact Jayco and see if they will send you prints of the roof construction Have your vin number and other information available. Sometime things that are attached from the factory are in locations where the factory has backing plates installed.
bedrck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:44 PM   #3

If you research "roof repair/rebuild" you will find that there is very little in the roof where you can attach anything.
Sawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote