Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-25-2021, 06:24 PM   #1

Towing Jayco 10sd with Towing Bike Rack

Hey all,

We recently bought a 2016 Jayco 10sd. We have four bikes to bring along, and usually use a Thule hitch-mounted carrier on our 4WD Honda Pilot. Since we now are using the hitch to pull the trailer, that won't be available.

I don't really want to drill into the top of the trailer, and am wary about having a receiver on a crossbar installed on the back frame of the trailer due to the increased tongue weight.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Swagman TRAILHEAD 4 TOWING or ORIGINAL 4 tow bike racks that have a receiver attached to a bike rack. They say they are rated for 3500 lbs, which is well over the weight of the loaded 10sd.

https://www.swagman.net/product.htm?...8176&cat=40493
https://www.swagman.net/product.htm?...8197&cat=40493
jayco10sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:17 AM   #2

I used this Sport Rack when we had our 1206 popup. It mounted to the rails on the edge of the roof. It had a part that slides right in the key-way and then a bolt that connected that part to the rack. Rock solid, and no drilling required!

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:41 AM   #3

I've been trying to decide what route to go too for a bike rack. Came across this one that looks like a good option:
https://www.prorac.com/tenttrailerpro.php
Bit more spendy and a bit tougher to find, but seems like a good option.
id_pop_up_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I used this Sport Rack when we had our 1206 popup. It mounted to the rails on the edge of the roof. It had a part that slides right in the key-way and then a bolt that connected that part to the rack. Rock solid, and no drilling required!
I would go this route. You'll have a lot of bouncing in the back of a trailer, especially a pop-up.

When we bought our old '93 1208 I bought the Jayco cargo bars and put a bike rake on them. The bars were installed by the dealer. Like the unit above, they mount on the edge of the roof. Mine had bolts and were sealed up. Never an issue.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:59 AM   #5

Brand new pop up owner but I found one that I really like the setup on that attached to the tongue of the trailer. Drawback is price and the need to remove the front wheel of the bike - kind of a pain if your bikes don't have quick release wheels. Still pushing around ordering it.
https://www.prorac.com/tenttrailerpro.php
id_pop_up_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 07:45 PM   #6

@Scott,

That Sport Rack looks perfect, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! After looking at a few others, I decided to order exactly that one. I really appreciated how the website had all of the compatible trailers listed.

Do you remember which bike rack you used to mount your bikes to the rail? It seems like there are a lot of options.

@id_pop_up_camper Unfortunately some small tent trailers like the one we bought don't have enough clearance on the A-frame at the front of the trailer to support that pro rack model. I agree it does seem like a great option if it would fit on your trailer.
jayco10sd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:30 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco10sd View Post
Do you remember which bike rack you used to mount your bikes to the rail? It seems like there are a lot of options.
I found some on Amazon. I checked my order history but since I ordered them in 2014, they are no longer available. I'm sure you can find some on Amazon easily enough.

Old 04-09-2021, 12:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayco10sd View Post
@Scott,

That Sport Rack looks perfect, thanks so much for taking the time to reply! After looking at a few others, I decided to order exactly that one. I really appreciated how the website had all of the compatible trailers listed.
We have the same trailer. Wondering if you can tell me how it got installed and if you can provide pictures? Did you need to drill anywhere etc?

Thanks
vtyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:40 PM   #9

So, when we had the pop-up we also used the SportRack on the roof, but when we moved to the hybrid I bought an Arvika 2" receiver so that I could use our hitch mount carrier as a tongue mount carrier. Now this might look a bit odd on a pup as it sits the bikes fairly high (the height is somewhat adjustable though, but you have to clear the tanks.) The main advantage of this setup is that while we are camping I can swap the carrier back to the truck if we want to drive to a trailhead.

Note: there are a couple of more photos, if click this one it should take you to my JOF album where you can get a couple of different views).

The thing I don't like about the Swagman extension is that it pushes the trailer farther back from the vehicle, and puts the point load of the bikes directly on hitch, reducing your available tongue weight. The point load from the Arvika is fairly far back from the ball, as far back as it will go on the A frame - on a pup that is about a third of the way back to the axle, so much less weight directly on the tongue.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 01:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtyler View Post
We have the same trailer. Wondering if you can tell me how it got installed and if you can provide pictures? Did you need to drill anywhere etc?

Thanks
I did it in 2014 and I don't have the trailer anymore, so I can't provide pictures. I was really easy though.

I had to take the end cap off the rail. Then slide the base in the rail, insert a bolt through the rack into the threaded base and it just clamps to the rail as you tighten. Use it for 5 years and never had a problem. No drilling into the roof. I had it all installed in a couple of hours.