Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-04-2017, 01:37 PM   #1

Merry Meadows RV Freeland, MD

Have you ever, for some perverse reason, wanted to experience a prisoner of war camp? You know, tons of pointless rules and rude guards who delight in enforcing all the pointless rules just to annoy you. Boy have we got a campground for you. Merry Meadows Campground in Freeland, MD.

We arrived late Fri. afternoon in the rain. We checked in, paid our fee along with a $10 deposit for a gate key. We mentioned that our daughter was coming over to bring us dinner. Oops, $5 charge for a visitor. She’s bringing her husband? Now $10, plus a $20 visitor deposit for the gate card. We could understand a charge if they were coming for the day and using the facilities, but to bring dinner on a rainy night? Also gate key is required to enter and LEAVE the campground. Will we be shot if attempting an escape over the fence?

Pool is open from noon to 8PM daily. When we tried to enter through the snack bar at 6PM on Sunday, there was a sign that the snack bar had closed at 4PM and the other gate was locked. We got the attention of the lifeguard closing up and she said that because there hadn’t been anyone there for a half hour, Lois (the owner) said to close early. We pointed to the sign with the noon to 8 hours and after checking with Lois she did reopen. Other people arrived shortly after. To access the pool, we’re back to the POW camp. You have to show your receipt every time and every person must be listed on the receipt to make sure you didn’t sneak Uncle Fred in under the beach towel. The chaise lounges are not to be moved. To enforce this, they are bolted down to the concrete. Tables are to be used for eating food purchased from the snack bar only.

They are about 20 miles south of York, PA where there is a Harley Davidson plant with factory tours. But no motorcycles are allowed beyond the front gate. It must be fun to schlep all your gear from the front gate to your site.

A dress code? No offensive t-shirts allowed. Who makes the decision as to what is offensive. Liberal political statements, conservative? Hunting slogans, PETA supporters? Beer drinkers vs wine?

30 cable channels, but half were such poor video that they were unwatchable. We mentioned it to the desk and the next day they replaced a connection and tested the signal and said it was “fine”. Their definition of fine is different from mine. No improvement. The wi-fi was typical for campgrounds. Not great, but usable.

Activities for kids are on the weekends only and there is a charge for virtually everything.

It’s actually a very nice venue. But there is a reason why it is about 40% vacant at the height of the season. After 40 years, the original owner sold out to his daughter in 2010. I wish we had visited when the original owner was still in charge. It would be interesting to see how it has changed in the last 7 years.
harryjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

We would go there for years under the old owner (we live in Harford County). We went about 8 years ago with a group of friends. Just after dinner, we sat around the community firepit and sang songs. My buddy playing the acoustic. It was about 6-7pm on a Saturday night. All of the sudden, this golf cart comes flying in and skidding to a stop. The two guys jumped out and reamed us up one side and down the other. Saying we were being too loud. Too loud? Four couples singing "Turn The Page"? Our friends baby was sleeping about 30 ft. away so, we weren't being loud. Just then, my unhinged friend stood up with his guitar, holding it like a baseball bat. I calmed him down and we said we would leave. But we weren't leaving until the morning. As we were leaving, they stood at the gate and said we were permanently barred and our names were red-flagged. WTH? Not that we would ever go back but, dag gone. And honestly folks, we weren't loud at all. We even had total strangers from other sites coming to our rescue as far as the loudness. From what I gather, two other families left due to an argument about us being loud.

Imagine what I said when I seen their booth set up at the RV show? With all their potential customers.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #3

I take it you don't recommend camping there.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

Let me think about that for a moment..... RIGHT!
Old 08-04-2017, 03:59 PM   #5

But, the place is called Merry Meadows...how can your report possible be true?
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:39 PM   #6

Damn. Ya got me.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:01 AM   #7

Place is horrible. To this day we are STILL banned from there. AND IT'S UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP!

When we did go there, it would be about 6-8 sites. So we gave them good business and never caused problems.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:02 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Correct!
Old 08-05-2017, 06:36 AM   #9

Thanks for the awesome and creative review. I just spit coffee all over myself reading it!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Lucky Guess!
jkaras7 is offline   Reply With Quote