Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2017, 09:29 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
I'm afraid we're hunting a unicorn, but I'll ask anyways.

We're looking for a campground that is heavily wooded, spaced nicely and has the option of backing up to a stream/creek (trout stream if I'm really dreaming ).

More of a state park kind of setting in North GA/West NC. I could care less if the trees aren't trimmed, if the roads are narrow and winding, if they charge for firewood, if they have cell service and wi-fi. As long as they have at least 30 amp electrical, functioning bath house, preferably site water and a dump station we're good.

I just learned about Enota, which "almost" fits the bill, other than the proximity of campsites to each other. Otherwise it would be our dream campground. Cloudland fits every category except the back up to a creek part.

Most of the "complaints" or "cons" I read on the RVpark Reviews are actually positives for us. We aren't "resort" campers typically. It can be fun in moderation, but we prefer to be in the middle of nowhere if given the choice. I actually prefer gravel, back-in sites. Now level sites are always welcome.
I'm still reading this thread, but the above (emphasis mine) summarizes us. We have been tent camping at Vogel for years, and it is overall our favorite park/camp location - period. Lots of green space, activities for the family include actual camping activities - fishing, playing in the stream, finding bugs, walking in the woods, etc. - and no need to spend dinner at the picnic table looking at your neighbors black/gray tank dump tube.

We went to visit a campsite today from our Good Sam recommended list - Bald Mountain Camping Resort in Hiawassee, GA (9.5/10) - and could not have been more disappointed. All the sites are nearly on top of each other, the vast majority of the campground is an open, flat green space with lots of gravel and a few small trees. Wifi? Cable? Sewer? Who cares - I can sit in my living room and look outside and the only thing that campground has over my house is a view of the mountains.

Sigh.

If all reviews are based on how posh the campground is, it will be nearly useless for us.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:56 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfflyer View Post
We are trying Vogel for the first time next week.
Come on man....you can't just leave us hanging like this without a follow up

I am determined to make it to Vogel in September if any way possible. We still have October open, but I'd like to be able to use the lake some so September should still be warm enough.

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ome-41831.html
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 01:53 PM   #43

Quote:

I am determined to make it to Vogel in September if any way possible. We still have October open, but I'd like to be able to use the lake some so September should still be warm enough.
We have tent camped Vogel many times, and we have visited at least once every month or two for the past 5 years. When we go driving in the mountain, it is our primary pit stop for the kids to get out and play (Amicalola being the secondary). Let me know if there is anything I can answer.
Old 07-31-2017, 06:30 PM   #44

Quote:

We really enjoyed our stay right on a creek. I partially opened my side of the bedroom window so I could sleep listening to the rushing water. For mid summer, the weather was cool at camp and in the mountains. We stayed mid week and I really needed internet connection so I could do some work and of course our site didn't have cell service and had to run to the office to answer emails. We will definitely be back. We towed a convertible and went to Brass Town Bald and explored most of the cities around there. I hear there are good hiking trails but the wife isn't really into that.
2016 Ford Focus set up to flat tow
Pfflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 06:58 PM   #45

Great, thanks for the update!
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote