Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-11-2015, 09:53 PM   #11
10,000 lb GVWR

My 2014 ram 3500 mega cab ctd srw has gvwr if 12400, payload of 4074 per door sticker (loaded Laramie with every option available) . Just finishing up a 16 day trip with family if 4 and dog and we were loaded heavy in the toy hauler. Cat scale had me at 12500 for truck, 7100 for rear axle (both over the rating by 100lb each). Trailer axles were 13050 with 3500 on the pin. Two quads in the rear and enough food and clothes for two weeks...so I was maxed. Newer one ton Rams have good payload ratings.

All that being said I called the gm of the ram dealer i ordered this truck from last year and told him to get me a price on trade in as I am ordering a dually as soon as i get back. One ton srw does well, but after this 2700 mile trip I'm ready for higher payload capacity and two more tires in the rear...especially in the winding mountain roads of west va

2014 Ram 3500 SRW CTD
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #12
Great feed back. Thank you.

Ya know, in looking (on line) for a HD truck, Ram is definitely easier to find a specific vehicle and it's payload/towing specs.

GM & Ford show max towing, and have a spreadsheet showing general payload/towing specs, but it's tough to locate specific vehicles with certain payload ratings.

I haven't tried going to local dealers and asking to see the cargo sticker on the door frame of each truck. That would be fun! (NOT)

So I'm not a dodge fan. I don't know why, but I feel there is a stigma about Dodge pick-ups. I think in my youth they got a bad reputation, but I don't know why. I guess that's why they re-branded to RAM trucks, not Dodge.?

In my area, don't see many Ram trucks. They are out there, but small relative to GM & Ford.

I have read many positive things about Ram trucks on this forum. Any negative feedback from those in 'the know'?

2016 Road Warrior 355
2015 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW 4x4 MegaCab ShortBed
2011 F150 ecoboost - Traded
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:41 PM   #13
I have 29k on my 2014 ram and love it. The current lineup of ram trucks is nothing like earlier years. Very high quality interiors (Laramie and longhorn models) and the cummins is fantastic. It sounds like a diesel and pulls like one too. Not quite as spunky as the dura max though. I had an engine code pop up on my cross country trip last week but dealer cleared it up. No issues otherwise. Only reason I'm trading it is to order a 2016 dually ram (900ft lbs torque, higher gears and the true medium suit aisin tranny). All here are good trucks. Check me all out and see what u like but give ram a shot. You might be surprised
2014 Ram 3500 SRW CTD
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:03 PM   #14
The new Rams are nothing like the old Dodge trucks, in my opinion. I have a Tundra right now and LOVE it... but with the two kids and the amount of stuff that my sweet bride packs for them now we are over my Tundra's GVWR.

I am looking at the Ram trucks because I honestly think they are the best price, ride and ability right now. The Cummins is a great engine. My buddy just bought a new 6.4 Hemi and he loves that. The interiors are nice and it sounds like they have fixed the front ends that always used to plague the Dodge brand Rams.

Get what you want, but don't be quick to discount the Ram as an option.

spoon059 is offline   Reply With Quote