Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
I don't have much experience with generators, but quite a bit with Honda engines. So here's my opinion.

My first TT was used and came with an essentially unused Champion 3500/4000. It was heavy, a hundred pounds I'd say, and pretty noisey. Started fine, ran fine. I let it stay with the trailer when we sold it.

We don't have an urgent need for a generator, but I'm going to buy one anyway, probably in January. Researching, Hyundai is cheap and, according to reviews, isn't as dependable as the Champions. I've looked at Yamaha's generators and would consider that brand if Honda wasn't available.

I've had honda engines in cars, motorcycles, outboards and currently a log splitter. I see no reason to look further. It's now just a matter of whether to get a pair of small ones, the EU2000i Companion, and then as I can afford it, an EU2000i, the one without the 30 amp outlet, or a single but heavier larger one.

So, OP, you can look all over but you won't find a safer choice than Honda, again, IMO.

'11 Eagle 320RLDS
'02 F350 PSD Dually 4WD
DW's Ride, '13 Expedition
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #12
I have a Champion 4000 watt. It is heavy [100 pounds plus] noisy, and has a 30 amp plug for the trailer, but only has a 25 amp circuit breaker for the plug. I know that they are not cheap but I will most likely get the Honda's next time. Much more quiet, lighter and maybe more fuel efficient.

2011 jayco 33rlds, 2002 Ford excursion, v-10, 3:73 gears 4x4 mine. 2008 Suzuki sx-4, hers. Retired Air Force, now Retired.
Parcany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
I have a eu2000i companion ( 30 amp plug ) and a eu2000i with two 20 amp duplex plugs and a battery charger port. If i want to use the electric water heater and toaster and coffee make at the same time I have to run both. In the summer i can run a/c with both, just the fan with one, Other wise a toaster and coffee running at the same time one just works ok. Batteries will charge faster with both running in econo mode. I just boondocked for two weeks hunting in northern michigan, the furnace can run for several days on my 464 ah battery bank ( 2 6 volt 232 interstate batterys ). The switch to leds dropped my overall useage a lot. The fridge and furnace combined draw 15 amps per hour. I ran the generators for coffee and showers in the am and tv time at night just to prepare for the freezing temps. Everything worked fantastic. The hondas are quiet, do not scare deer, and everyone commented on how quiet they were. Anyone can start the hondas. Super easy and well worth the money, remember the happiness of a good deal does not last longer than the bitterness of aggrevation with an inferior product. Buying the hondas hurt a bit, but they work everytime.
09 1500 Suburban 4x4 LT2 with factory tow mirrors
2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH
Elite package, cold weather package, ladder, electric stabs, awning, and tongue
Two 24" 1080p led tv's
Prodigy p3 brake controller
Equalizer WDH
2 eu2000i Honda's ( one companion )
All lights converted to LEDs
oaeyeo121003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:39 AM   #14
Originally Posted by oaeyeo121003 View Post
remember the happiness of a good deal does not last longer than the bitterness of aggrevation with an inferior product
I love this. It's so true. . .

2003 Ford F-250 XLT Lariat
6.0L Powerstroke V8
2013 Jayco JayFlight 24FBS
Equal-i-zer hitch
Tekonsha P3
BlueHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Originally Posted by oaeyeo121003 View Post
.... the furnace can run for several days on my 464 ah battery bank ( 2 6 volt 232 interstate batterys ).
Just to keep the record straight two 6 volt 232 AH batteries in series is 12 volts with 232 AH of capacity. You do not add the AH's in a series configuration.
Chuck - Sparta, TN
2012 Jay Flight 22FB, 2 x Honda EU2000i
2013 GMC Yukon XL Denali AWD

EDUCATION is what you get when you read the fine print.....
EXPERIENCE is what you get when you don't.
tnchuck100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 07:34 AM   #16
I am entirely happy with my 2 Champion 2000W gennys. One of them will operate my camper w/AC. I bought the other one because I got a screaming deal on it and I couldn't pass it up. Plus it would be nice to be able to pair them and feed my house if needed.

They are REALLY REALLY quiet. They start on the first pull and pair together nicely. They will not do anything above 1500w for more than a few seconds (if at all really). It should really be considered a 1500w generator. They are not as light or as compact as the Honda or Yamaha, but they are close. But you can also buy two of em for less than the price of one Honda. I bought two Champion 2000w with the pairing kit for $800. I would be lucky to buy a used Honda for that!

...she started talking about how I never listened to her or somethin, I donno, I wasn't really paying attention...
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:10 AM   #17
I've had a Honda 2000i for ten years. I've used it for boon docking and for stick house power when the electricity goes off. The only things I have had to do to it are: annual oil and air filter service, cleaning some trash from the carburetor, and adding fuel. It starts (if it's been run in the last several days) on the first pull, and on the second or third pull if it's been a while since it has been run. I've got a new spark plug if it ever needs one.

I only wish all of my trailer was as reliable as my Honda generator.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2008 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:26 PM   #18
I've got a Yamaha EF2800i and I've been very pleased with it. It won't run my 15k AC, but could run the 13.5 in my old TT.

Very quiet, reliable, has variable RPMs so it sips gas based on load, and I wouldn't have one w/o an inverter. It's light enough to move around easily.

Name:  19-4515-color.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  23.5 KB
2012 Jayco 32TSBH
2004 Ford Excursion
ProPride 3P / Tru Control brake controller
Roadmaster Active Suspension
Ranger431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 02:22 PM   #19
I have a Yamaha EF 2000is. It is quiet and can be carried by one person. I'm quite happy with it. I will get another one soon. Will be able to run everything including the air conditioner. Since we keep our trailer on the back of our property we can live in it if the power goes out in the house. Can also use one to run the fridge in the house if necessary. I went with Yamaha because I own other Yamaha stuff; audio equipment and FJR1300 motorcycle, all of which I have been happy with. If the Yamahas were't available I wouldn't hesitate to get the Hondas.
2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Litre DoubleCab
6 speed, 4.30 Limited Slip, Tow Package
2013 Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL
2010 Jayco JayFlight 26BH sold
Yamaha EF2000is Generators (2)
1996 Honda CB750 Nighthawk
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:06 PM   #20
Only for information, not recommend since it is new. Ryobi just introduced a new 2K generator inverter with wheels for 599.00 dollars. It weighs in I believe at around 55 lbs. I have had great results with all of mr Ryobi tools and am bidding my time to see more reviews on this product. Think the noise level is near 7 decibels higher than Honda. But looking at a price tag of 1 grand for Honda or Yamaha I sure can use other places to spend the extra 400 dollars.check out you tube they have a side by side evaluation of both units. Good luck with your decision making and most of all HAPPY TRAILERING.

rog4kneer is offline   Reply With Quote