Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2015, 06:37 PM   #1

Keeping cool, boondocking

I tried searching and haven't found a similar question. If there is similar discussions please let me know. We were boondock camping this past weekend and it was really hot out. I am looking for a way to help keep our 5w cool. I left windows open all night, and closed them during the day, but it still got very toasty. I am wondering if the fabric shades that are in the 5w aren't sufficient or what. I was hoping it would stay cooler as Jayco boasts the climate shield. Any tips out there? Thanks in advance.

Deb, Dan & Missy (mixed breed rescue dog)
2015 Eagle Touring 28.5RKDS
1995 Ford Diesel
LoveCamping58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #2

We have home made blackout " flap" curtains to further block out sunlight.

12 v DC fan to get some air moving

Cold beer

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:12 PM   #3

Go naked!
2005 F150 Platinum/Roush Package

WHERE EVER YOU GO....THERE YOU ARE
dennis b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:16 PM   #4

They have widow covering material that is reflective to help keep the sun out to reduce the day time heat build up. Covering the windows, skylights, and vents with that kind of material may help.

There are a number of 12 volt fans that move A LOT of air. Using those when the outside temp drops will help. Of course if you are boondocking for a number of days, you will have to plan on those draining your battery(s).

The insulation package helps (I hope, I have that, too!) but the trailer isn't insulated like, say, a refrigerator.

Of course camping in higher elevations and in the shade will be a BIG help, too.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #5

Thank you jmooney. I will have to look into the curtains. I have a small fan that runs on 'd' batteries that I move to wherever I am. I just tried a magnet on window frames and apparently not metal lol, was going to sew the magnets into the curtains. Now will have to figure out another way to attach the curtains. And hubby likes the cold beer, on the hot days margaritas work well too!

Thanks oldmanAZ, I may get some of that for the vents and skylights. Do the maxair vent covers help?

And Dennis b, when its hot that doesn't help, lol.

Deb, Dan & Missy (mixed breed rescue dog)
2015 Eagle Touring 28.5RKDS
1995 Ford Diesel
LoveCamping58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmooney View Post
snip.......12 v DC fan to get some air moving.......snip
X2

I use a 12V "Endless Breeze" box fan, quiet, and has a low amp draw with 3 settings (1.2 amp - 2.6 amp). On those muggy nights boondocking I set it on low and let it move the air around the TT all night.

Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail Stand Alone Fans

Shop around, I see them for around $60.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:13 AM   #7

DW attached adhesive backed Velcro to the window frames. Holds coverings quite well.
KYCAMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 08:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis b View Post
Go naked!
And plenty of cool drinks.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:27 PM   #9
Site Team

We have the silver solar shields for the windows and DW just picked up a bunch of suction cups with hooks on them to hold the shields in place against the widows. They keep most of the window heat from coming into the TT. We also have (2) multi-speed 12VDC fans we use.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:00 AM   #10

Not to be a horse's A$$, but, I always have to ask. Why purchase a camper with all the amenities, then go boondocking? If one has to go without, elect, water, and sewer, take a tent!

After saying that, I think Dennis & Mike have the best idea, except you will need plenty of cool drinks for your camping neighbors in order to "go naked"!!!!!!!

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty Cox View Post
Not to be a horse's A$$, but, I always have to ask. Why purchase a camper with all the amenities, then go boondocking? If one has to go without, elect, water, and sewer, take a tent!

After saying that, I think Dennis & Mike have the best idea, except you will need plenty of cool drinks for your camping neighbors in order to "go naked"!!!!!!!

Shorty
There are probably as many different ways of 'camping' as there are people that 'camp.' That's why there are so many different types of camping gear/trailers/vehicles available.

Saw that in action years ago: People with a class-A pulled into a national forest campground that had no amenities, except for pit toilets. They pulled in, pushed a button(s) to level the unit, closed the curtains, and fired up their generator. After dark, the only 'flicker' at their site was from the TV while they watched a movie (VHS or Beta? - yes, it was a while back). They left the next day and never set foot on the ground. They probably think back on the wonderful time they had camping in the national forest.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:31 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
snip....... Why purchase a camper with all the amenities, then go boondocking? If one has to go without, elect, water, and sewer, take a tent!........snip
IMO boondocking has very little to do with what one chooses to sleep in, but more to do with the boondocking environment that one camps in.

I've used my TT as a base camp in the National/State Forest, then gear-up and go backpacking in the mountains for a couple days......., kinda nice coming back to the TT after a few days living off your back!

Like "oldmanAZ" basically said, 'each to their own'.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCamping58 View Post
I tried searching and haven't found a similar question. If there is similar discussions please let me know. We were boondock camping this past weekend and it was really hot out. I am looking for a way to help keep our 5w cool. I left windows open all night, and closed them during the day, but it still got very toasty. I am wondering if the fabric shades that are in the 5w aren't sufficient or what. I was hoping it would stay cooler as Jayco boasts the climate shield. Any tips out there? Thanks in advance.
We took a western trip a couple of years ago in June and July and virtually COOKED!!!! I hung thermometers around the camper to try and identify where most of the heat was coming from. It became very apparent that the slides and particularly the windows were the biggest problem. After talking to many folks that were near us camping, we determined that reflective window treatments would give us the biggest net results. We had a 60% reflective film put on all our windows. Made a huge difference in the heat coming into the camper. It also made the interior of the rig substantially darker. You now will turn on a light when you enter the trailer when that wasn't needed before. If I were to do it again, I would use a little lighter tint on the windows. It made a huge difference in the heat entering the trailer.
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:16 AM   #14

No matter how you slice it, there's absolutely no way to stay cool during hot summer days without a/c. Campers are just insulated boxes on wheels. You can have all the fans you want running, all the windows open..breezy out. Regardless, you're gonna bake. Trust me, I love camping where no one else is as much as the next guy but I make sure it's in specific times of the year. Summer boondocking on the East coast? Um.eh eh. You can have it. I've hiked the AT from Ga. to Maine in the beginning of summer and roasted. I guess what it comes down to is, I've had my share of 'boondocking'. I tent camped for many a year without alot of the creature comforts. Sweating in bed does not appeal to me whatsoever. Been there..done it. MANY times.

But again, to each his own.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 AM   #15

Quote:

Shorty
For us it just added to the fun figuring out how to maximize and economize in a boondocking environment. We added a little solar and and inverter and additional batteries. We clearly prefer boondocking over full service camping. Each have there place but love learning how to get the most out of what. I have additional fun at home in installing modifications that enhance our enjoyment when in the field. Everyone has a different idea of what is really fun!!!
Ela1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:11 AM   #16

I popped on the site today to ask the same thing!!I've been running my gens during the day,at night I would like to kill one gen and set the other on Eco mod to run a fan.However as soon as 11pm has hit the last two nights thunder storms have moved though.The only vents in my 26bh are the windows and the bathroom vent fan.
WrenZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 01:26 PM   #17

We have, on occasion, rigged a sunshade for the side of the camper receiving the most sun. We have quite a few windows, and it helped quite a bit. I might also look into max air fans in your vents. Those will help a lot also. We also keep our windows open at all times so we get plenty of air exchange and can catch breezes. Even with the "climateshield" you are going to get a lot of heat buildup without air movement.
djtho1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:38 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Eagle View Post
X2

I use a 12V "Endless Breeze" box fan, quiet, and has a low amp draw with 3 settings (1.2 amp - 2.6 amp). On those muggy nights boondocking I set it on low and let it move the air around the TT all night.

Fan-Tastic Vent's Retail Stand Alone Fans

Shop around, I see them for around $60.

Bob

We have one of those too, it's wonderful. Moves a lot of air without sucking down a lot of power. If you have to go without AC in the heat, moving air is the only way to keep from turning your rig into a sweat box!
skylarkva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:35 AM   #19

As I said in my post, I was not trying to be a horse’sA$$. I too agree there are many ways, and reasons, to camp. But when it comes to “bondocking” I don’t do.

My uncle use to take me boondocking on regular bases. However, when he did, he only provided me half a tent to boondock in. One had to find another boondocker with half a tent to create a full tent for sleeping. For that reason I usually just would sleep under the stars. That same uncle would take me on long “hikes”. This uncle was so generous that most times he would even loan me a gun to tote while boondocking. Thus, I swore when I got away from him, I would not boondock or hike.

Shorty
Shorty Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 07:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ela1948 View Post
We took a western trip a couple of years ago in June and July and virtually COOKED!!!! I hung thermometers around the camper to try and identify where most of the heat was coming from. It became very apparent that the slides and particularly the windows were the biggest problem. After talking to many folks that were near us camping, we determined that reflective window treatments would give us the biggest net results. We had a 60% reflective film put on all our windows. Made a huge difference in the heat coming into the camper. It also made the interior of the rig substantially darker. You now will turn on a light when you enter the trailer when that wasn't needed before. If I were to do it again, I would use a little lighter tint on the windows. It made a huge difference in the heat entering the trailer.
I'd like to hear more details about this film. I noticed last time we were out how much heat those windows let in, and they're already tinted. I don't want to block out all the light, and I still want to see outside, so some kind of heat reducing film would be nice.

We don't boondock because DW needs her "amenities". I still get the itch to backpack now and then when the open trail calls, but that'll have to wait a few years until DS can go with me. DW will hold down the "fort" and keep the AC nice and cold for us when we get back from "walkabout".

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote